Want a new gas grill.. Are webers worth the extra $$ for low end models???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    In the market for a new gas grill and really considering a weber low end model.. Maybe a small genesis or spirit.. $400-600 range.. Anyone in the know have and opinion?? The webers seem to have more manufacturers support when parts are needed and a good warranty.. Don't want a side burner just a good long lasting gas grill that doesn't rust out in a couple years..

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've bought a lot of junky grills in my life. I can categorically state that the last grill I bought, a Weber, was the best grill purchase I've ever made. I don't think I'll ever have to buy a new one after this, but if I do, I'll spend the money on another Weber even though it's more expensive.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I consider a Weber to be the Ford or Chevy of gas grills. They cook stuff fine, parts are readily available and for me they get the job done at a reasonable price point for my budget.

There are other much higher end grills, but I have been cooking on my Genesis for about 7-8 years now year 'round, no cover and it has always been fine. I replaced the flavorizer bars once and the piezo starter once.

Not sure if it will give up the ghost in my lifetime, and I don't know what will be available if it does disintegrate into a pile of rust to be swept of the deck so I don't know what I'd buy the next time.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I have a previous generation Spirit 200 two burner LP grill with cast iron grates... my only complaints are that it isn't a 3 burner and the electric start failed from water intrusion.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    There are other much higher end grills, but I have been cooking on my Genesis for about 7-8 years now year 'round, no cover and it has always been fine.

When you're buying a new $150 grill every two years because the things keep rusting into a pile of junk, the cost break-even point of just buying a Weber is achieved fairly quickly.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    When you're buying a new $150 grill every two years because the things keep rusting into a pile of junk, the cost break-even point of just buying a Weber is achieved fairly quickly.
    This is why I'm considering a weber.. I can get a 2 burner spirit for$400 or 3 burner spirit for $500 or step up to a genesis for around $700?? I'm curious if the spirit will do??

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    This is why I'm considering a weber.. I can get a 2 burner spirit for$400 or 3 burner spirit for $500 or step up to a genesis for around $700?? I'm curious if the spirit will do??

I have a Genesis. I can't comment on the differences between the two, but I have a hard time believing you could go wrong with either one.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

Yup. That's how I look at most purchases. One of my motto's is; "The best is just good enough for me." Though as I am getting older and closer to a retirement without money, I also ask myself; "how good does it have to be to do the job(s) I will use it for?"

I didn't realize they got that pricey. I paid $450 for my Genesis when I bought it. It's a 3 burner with no side burners. I wonder if the Spirit is similar to my older Genesis? I can't seem to determine the difference on the Weber website.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Yup. That's how I look at most purchases. One of my motto's is; "The best is just good enough for me." Though as I am getting older and closer to a retirement without money, I also ask myself; "how good does it have to be to do the job(s) I will use it for?"

I didn't realize they got that pricey. I paid $450 for my Genesis when I bought it. It's a 3 burner with no side burners. I wonder if the Spirit is similar to my older Genesis? I can't seem to determine the difference on the Weber website.
    Supposedly the current spirit is close to older genesis models.. I'm torn on getting a $400 2 burner spirit or $500 3 burner or stepping up to a entry genesis.. I don't ever use a side burner so don't even need that.. Anyone got a current 2 burner spirit?? I normally only cook small portions for 3-6 on my grill so bigger doesn't mean better in my case.. Want quality and longivety as well as efficiency when cooking small meals thru the week for the family..

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    For what it is worth, Consumer reports has the Spirit SP series the highest rated grill in its Midsize grill category. Longevity is not one of the things they test for. I personally have a Napoleon, but they are pretty pricey.

Reviews & Recommended - Weber Spirit SP-320 46700401

CR's Take
    This top-rated grill was easy to use and preheated quickly and evenly. It was superb on high and low heat and indirect cooking. That's a delicious way to slow-cook ribs, roasts, and whole fish and poultry by placing the food next to the heat, not directly over it. The Weber has an electronic igniter, stainless-steel grates, side burner, and a long warranty on its burners, the most frequently replaced part of the grill.
    Highs
    High temperature evenness is excellent
    Preheat performance is very good
    Low temperature performance is excellent
    Indirect cooking is excellent
    Stainless-steel grates
    LowsNo performance flaws noted.
    Detailed test results
    High temp evenness: This model had excellent performance in our high-temperature test, which measures heating evenness over the grill's surface using thermocouples.
    Low temp evenness: This model had excellent performance in our low-temperature test, which measures heating evenness over the grill's surface using thermocouples.
    Preheat performance: This model had very good performance in our preheat performance test, which measures the temperature and evenness over the grill's surface after a 10 minutes using thermocouples. It also gives an indication how quickly the grill reaches its maximium temperature.
    Indirect Cooking: This model had excellent performance in our indirect-cooking test, which gauges how well grills slow-cook foods when only some of the burners are on and the food isn' t placed directly over the flame.
    Temperature range: This model had good performance in our temperature-range test, which measures the difference between the average temperatures with all burners on high and all burners on low using thermocouples.
    Convenience: This model was judged excellent for construction and materials, useful accessory burners, and other ease of use aspects.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Go for the Genesis. All around it's an upgrade from the Spirit. If you can spring for it, look at an EP-330 from Ace Hardware. You get the benefits of the S model (stainless flame tamers and grates), without the PITA to clean stainless exterior.

An e-310 will suit you well I'm sure, but the 330 has an extra burner and the side burner if you want to cook a pot o something.

The Spirits are nice, but they don't compare to the Genesis.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    If you want quality.. I would look at the Ducane brand of grills.

Ducane's are made in china. The name is (or was) owned by weber for distribution purposes but anyone could buy a container full and slap their name on them. They used to be decent for the price, I wouldn't associate them with "quality," as you put it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    An e-310 will suit you well I'm sure, but the 330 has an extra burner and the side burner if you want to cook a pot o something.

Sometimes I wish I had the side burner. Would be good for reductions and keeping a pot of beer with brats in them hot.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Instead of replacing my decrepit $200 gas grill again (on my second in 6 years), this year I picked up a Weber charcoal kettle. When I do buy another gas grill, I intend to spend the money for a Genesis. A grill really shouldn't be a disposable item.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I am cooking chicken on a 10 year old Weber charcoal kettle. I don't do pro pain unless I am at the kitchen stove.

the pro pain tanks are a pain and run out where as a good old coal fired grill is all I have every used. Sure I might get only another 5 years out of this one. They are good grills I got the portable version also. I can cook quite a bit of meat at a time on it.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    I have a Genesis that is about 5 years old now.
    It's performance has been flawless.
    Only thing I do to it is change the battery in the igniter.
    It sits out and gets used year round and gets the job done.
    Well worth the $.

Top Bottom