• kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I've been mulling one of these. Now I hear there is a problem with slide separations. Anyone else hear/know about this?

behinger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2009
    Decatur
    I have had one for several years with no problems. probably 500 rounds through it.

It does have a small grip, If you have large hands it may not fit you well.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've been mulling one of these. Now I hear there is a problem with slide separations. Anyone else hear/know about this?

I got the short slide and love it. Now, I have read where a few of the longer slide versions did crack the slide. I don't know if there is much truth to this or how common this problem is. I personally don't know anyone who ever had this issue.

I would go ahead and buy it and not worry. Too many out there have one and love them.

hunter46140

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I think the problem you are talking about is primarily ammo issues. I personally dont have one but do want one. I have a buddy with one and he had a FTE. From what I hear you have to use a cci stinger or minimag. I think for a break in period a high recoil round is needed til it has a few rounds thru it. Hope it helps!

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Love mine, great for new shooters and cheap plinking. Buy jacketed rounds lead in mine at least tends to have FTE's around 100 rounds with non jacketed rounds. She runs all day long on Federal bulk packs.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Beech Grove, IN
    Shoot quality .22 ammo out of it. I know 2 people who have one it they run flawless on mini mags only. Otherwise they have been jamo-matics with other ammo. No personal experience though just passing on what I was told.

mx_chick_42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    my boyfriend has one that he carries on his ankle and he loves it. only has some issues with cheap ammo, but most the time it is great. everyone that has shot it loves it.

merkava1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I owned one. Found it
    a. fun to shoot because of the nice grip and good frame-to-caliber ratio,
    b. one of the ugliest pistols out there, like a thin toad, makes Glock look like the Brooks Brothers
    c. a PITA to reassemble because of the tricky recoil spring:twocents:

Snayperskaya

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Indy Northwest
    I have two p-22's andthey run FLAWLESSLY on anything I put through them (well except .22 SHORTS that is) I run literally tens of thousands of rounds through them a year and no problems.

Greg

This is what I have been waiting to hear. Sorry guys, but if you have a .22 that only has 2 -5 hundred rounds through it, you are doing something wrong. That is break in day. If I can buy 500 rounds for $15, you can bet that my .22's go through about 2000 rounds a shooting session. Maybe the reliability issue lies in Walther building it to take a lot of ammo and then you only shoot 12 rounds through it so it does not heat and cool properly? :dunno:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have a couple, have not had a chance to shoot them yet. I want to though... The grip seems a lil thin to me but overall I like the feel of the gun. I like the shorter bbl better, the longer bbl seems muzzle heavy to me.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Thanks all for the responses. I'm surprised tho' that no one has heard of the slides failing/coming off during firing of these guns. My impression of this is that is becoming a very large problem and the guns may even be removed from the market. Below is just one link among many reports of this type. It was amazing to find that the slides are made of a powdered zinc slurry casting. Not even Zamac alloy.

Walther P22 Cracked Slide June.2005 - Thumbnails

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    [quote
    c. a PITA to reassemble because of the tricky recoil spring:twocents:[/quote]No problem to reassemble if you use the spring guide that came with it.:ingo:

Top Bottom