• ...and so much more!
  • bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    Most of you who are watching the Walmarts for incoming ammo and reading curent threads already know Walmart has implemented a new 6 box limit policy. I was talking to the sales guy at the Columbus WalMart this morning. He said that the policy was already helping. He had noticed a huge difference in the past three days. Noted that he had actually seen some .45 that he hadn't been able to get forever. He was very optimistic about having ammo readily on-hand soon. What was really interesting is that he said that Winchester was the one's who prodded Walmart to implement the policy. Stated that they wanted Walmart to take better care of their "hunter-type" regular customers rather than the people buying and dumping/gouging. If this is true, a big +1 for Winchester!
    :rockwoot:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't think it's about "taking care" of customers. I think their ammo is bordering on a loss leader for them, if not a loss leader. I think what they want to stop is dealers and other resellers from coming in and buying all of the ammo they're using to entice people to come into the store and buy other stuff while they're on the premises.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I don't think it's about "taking care" of customers. I think their ammo is bordering on a loss leader for them, if not a loss leader. I think what they want to stop is dealers and other resellers from coming in and buying all of the ammo they're using to entice people to come into the store and buy other stuff while they're on the premises.

Problem is there is no way to stop dealer, and shop owners from doing so. I mean anyone can just walk in and buy everything they want. Even if it's on only a two box limit, which they did away with. You just get friends, or family to come in and buy their share. That's why I have decided to never buy ammo from Walmart again.

ramick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Huntington
    In my opinion it is helping. When I went today the had 6 boxs of winchester 22. bulk, 2 boxs of 9mm and 4 boxs of.40s&w. That is the most ammo I have seen there in 6 monthe easy.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

This is absolutely correct. While I have no doubt they make a little on the ammo (thanks to buying power) they're just trying to stop the dealers from coming in and buying up the multiple cases they get, when they get them.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I am going to try and be political on this comment, but i think this is a good thing... I KNOW FOR A FACT.... that there is a gunstore in indiana who would send its employees to walmart and if the price was right they would buy ALL of walmarts stock and sell it marked up at their gunstore... this made them competitive since walmart didnt have any ammo people would have to pay for it at this gunstores prices... this was two or three years ago.

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area

You may be on the right track. Doubt we will ever know the exact truth from the upper-level management. The sales gentlemen I spoke with did make mention of people buying basically everything in the case in one shot. Said it had been as high as 6-10 thousand rounds at a time.

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    I am going to try and be political on this comment, but i think this is a good thing... I KNOW FOR A FACT.... that there is a gunstore in indiana who would send its employees to walmart and if the price was right they would buy ALL of walmarts stock and sell it marked up at their gunstore... this made them competitive since walmart didnt have any ammo people would have to pay for it at this gunstores prices... this was two or three years ago.

Why don't you share the name of this store?

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    Hooray! Say, do you think the price will ever go down?

Difficult to say. There's no way to gauge future demand. Raw materials are down, so the manufacturers are should be making plenty with current price structure. I've seen several statements on other sites saying that the manufacturers haven't changed their pricing. The increase in on the retail side. Econ 101 supply and demand. It's gotten pretty out of hand though IMO. I'm really glad to see the local shops in my area keep things reasonable. Nothing like what we are seeing on the web.

Top Bottom