Wait, what? Help me in an argument . . .

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    While growing up, we knew where the guns where (gun safes were not as prevalent or as affordable as they are today), what kind they were, what they fired and which ones were loaded. No one was injured by a ND or AD. We never touched them. Never. Was never tempted to touch them. Never. To have done so would have opened one up to the probability of inciting the rage of he who wields the hammer of Thor. Not going to happen.

In addition of being on the receiving end of calamity, pain and suffering when that Pandora's box opened, it would have been an irresponsible act on our part and would have disappointed our father and mentor. They were/are in the house and I do not touch them unless he hands them to me to this day.

I do not think my upbringing was all that much different than those around me at that time. With all the guns around and no AD/ND complete with no one getting hurt or cutting short a life. How could that be? What has changed? We became fair hunters and could shoot respectfully accurate whilst not using them in any criminal venture or otherwise endangering another human being.

...and today. that's "just stupid". What happened?

I hope that if you ever have a home invasion, after they kick your door in, they give you (the protector of your wife and offspring) the time to get to your safe (opening it blind from the adrenalin rush), and to your bullets that you have responsibly stored in another locked location before the neer do wells lay waste to you and yours.

Of course this may never happen to you and therefore your line of thinking will be vindicated for whatever course of action you choose for locking up the firearms. Shoot, I'd take the firing pins out as well. Come to think of it, going full condition butterscotch is the safest level of storing firearms known to man.

We were taught and to run counter to the lessons would bring about a known and horrifying exclamation point...

Eight years old and I had almost every gun in a gun cabinet in my room. My dad had a shotgun in his bedroom, the rest of the guns AND ammo were in the unlocked cabinet. No accidents, no negligent discharges. My brother and sister were much younger and they were never interested or tempted. I've said it many times, take away the mystery of a gun and it becomes as interesting as any household item.
    Wow. The discussions on this part of firearm safety and children are much more to my liking in this forum.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My guess is that the person that posted the FB note is someone that bought a gun because they thought it would make them less vulnerable. They think of it as more a talisman than a tool. They have never shot it and probably bought a box of FMJ ammo because they were told that JHP bullets are illegal in civilian hands. The bullets and gun are both in the box in their dresser drawer and a trigger lock is installed to render it totally useless. This gun will most likely not be shot until the person that robs them shoots it, or the person that the burglar sells it to shoots it. Sadly, there are a lot of gun owners out there that fit that scenario.

You really think the person who said that actually owns a gun? I figured they just lied to lend credibility to the bs they were spouting.

Good point.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    It is very hard to argue with people that don't have the capacity to reason. You could list multiple "things" that should be "controlled" because children die, and they will simply look at you with a blank state and say "guns, bad".

QFT

The only argument you can "win" with an ignorant person is the one you avoid.

I fall into the temptation myself, so I'm not criticizing anyone whose been "dragged down to the idiot's level and beaten with experience" so to speak.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Arguing with someone on social media is like trying to reason with someone who is drunk...an endless battle that never yields the results you're looking for...

alex00

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    This post actually makes a lot of sense and provides some good input. Coming from someone with a post count under 10 I am blown away by that. No offense intended alex00 but we get a lot of trolls and people making a run for the classifieds around here. If I hadn't given out too much rep within the last 24 hours I'd give you some.

edit: and you edited for spelling. alex00's a keeper. Welcome to :ingo: by the way. :)

Thank you sir! I don't post much on here because I'm not an expert on guns and I don't want to sound like an idiot. I usually just get on here and read what others have to say and learn more about firearms. Now that I'm unemployed I have way too much time on my hands and I'll probably be frequenting the boards more than normal!

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    If you think you can hide your guns from your kids you are mistaken. Unless you keep them locked in a safe that does not use a key chances are they will come across them. I often wonder the point of having a gun in the house for defense that is locked in a safe. To me that does not seem very effective unless you always know when trouble is coming.

I have 3 girls, the oldest and the youngest like shooting and the middle one is indifferent to it. All three have been taught firearm safety so that they will be aware when away from our house more so than with our guns. My youngest is 9 and goes to the range with us to shoot her 22 all the time. She also has a bow that she shoots. Her 22 is in a case in her room hanging in the closet and her bow is on the upper shelf. She follow the rules at the range better than some of the adults there. I have to laugh because she will point out other people doing something you are not suppose to do while waiting for range commands during cease fire. We have actively talked about my guns and when she is old enough to shoot some of the handguns.

Like it was stated earlier if you take the mystery out of something they will walk by it without even thinking about it. Your gun might as well be the vacuum to them.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Wabash
    I have to agree with a couple of previous comments about taking the mystery out of guns. While our kids were young we made a point of providing supervised access to our guns. When they wanted to look at or shoot them they were never told no. May not have happened at that exact time, but we would set a time when they could get their hands on them with proper instruction. We never had any issues with any of them violating the rules regarding firearms. All of them are responsible gun owning adults now, and I am looking forward to the opportunity to teach grandkids about firearms.

gunandrun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2013
    lawrenceburg
    I will take my chances without having a loaded gun in every room. If I was worried about someone kicking my door down in the middle of the night, I would move to a better area.

clownsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Fishers
    I really love the way you put this "taking the mystery out of guns". When I was growing up, my mom was terrified of guns. We weren't allowed close to them, weren't allowed to touch them, weren't allowed to have toy guns. Guess what that did?

The more forbidden, mysterious, and 'dangerous' you make an object seem, the more your children are going to be drawn to it. That's just how they are wired. If you have a gun in the house, and they know that, they're going to find it. It's just going to happen. Since they are kids, they are probably going to want to 1) play with the forbidden, cool thing and 2) not get in trouble for it. That's why they'll be secretive and furtive about it, and that's why accidents do happen.

You have to take the mystique out of guns. Which is a hard thing, look at the way everyone on these boards still oohs and aahs over our guns! But you can do it. You can reduce the gun to a powerful but effective tool that has a proper use and time and strict rules, just like, well, a jigsaw or a blowtorch or about anything else in the garage. You have to make the gun the useful piece of machinery than it IS, rather than the bad-guy blasting, world-saving magic wand that kids envision it to be.

Just my thoughts, anyway.

I have to agree with a couple of previous comments about taking the mystery out of guns. While our kids were young we made a point of providing supervised access to our guns. When they wanted to look at or shoot them they were never told no. May not have happened at that exact time, but we would set a time when they could get their hands on them with proper instruction. We never had any issues with any of them violating the rules regarding firearms. All of them are responsible gun owning adults now, and I am looking forward to the opportunity to teach grandkids about firearms.

Top Bottom