• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I've seen some members (particularly Wetsu) talk about vetting people they know to be potential partners if the SHTF. I'm just curious as to what process each of you uses to decide on who is worthy to be in your group and who isn't. Also, I would like ideas on how to actually start the conversation about joining/starting a group that would work together if the SHTF.

Glock22c

SHEEPDOG
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    N.E. IN
    Good question .... I see a need for my group to be larger. Almost all family so far.
    Not even sure how to begin?
    +1 for the idea!

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Good question .... I see a need for my group to be larger. Almost all family so far.
    Not even sure how to begin?
    +1 for the idea!

Most of my family is pretty convinced that I'm crazy with the exception of my dad and my father in law. Unfortunately, my father in law doesn't believe in prepping (he says he has mad skillz so he doesn't need stuff:n00b:) so that leaves me with only one contact thirty miles from me and getting up there in age. I decided it's time to look for some help lol.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Not only what the person can bring TO the group but also, what that person WANTS from the group. I start by talking to my close friends, usually about guns-> politics-> world events -> then what they think proper prep for future events should be. By then it's pretty clear.

Bob

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    These are conversations I find myself initiating more these days. I have been surprised at the positive response from most but I carefully choose these folks. A person you have been seeing at the range or a close friend that is showing interest at expanding his gun collection. Someone you know that hunts regularly. Anyone you feel that a bond can be formed with in a bad situation. People with skills or just someone that you know will do what it takes to survive.
    I have met some very wonderful folks on this site and experienced good exchanges with them on the topic of being prepared. Forming a network and keeping in touch is more work than I realized. Being trust worthy and ready to assist, not that hard.

CombatRex

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    NE side of Indy
    I've wondered the same. I have one brother in law who is serious, but does not know all that much about self defense so I help him on that end. Most of the rest of the family think we are paranoid. (wife is ok,but just thinks of prepping as in to survive an ice storm and nothing more) I think I would look for people that have common interest as I do, plus live to close by...that would be just for starters. I live NE Indy as well. So I guess this might be my reach out to those who wish to network on the NE side of Indy.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I've wondered the same. I have one brother in law who is serious, but does not know all that much about self defense so I help him on that end. Most of the rest of the family think we are paranoid. (wife is ok,but just thinks of prepping as in to survive an ice storm and nothing more) I think I would look for people that have common interest as I do, plus live to close by...that would be just for starters. I live NE Indy as well. So I guess this might be my reach out to those who wish to network on the NE side of Indy.

Idk if you know about them or not, but there are MSG groups that started on this site in different parts of the state. The problem for me is that the closest one is centered in Indy and I don't really have time or gas money to spare for time I could be spending on learning new skills, stocking items, or just spending time persuading the wife. :):

CombatRex

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    NE side of Indy
    Idk if you know about them or not, but there are MSG groups that started on this site in different parts of the state. The problem for me is that the closest one is centered in Indy and I don't really have time or gas money to spare for time I could be spending on learning new skills, stocking items, or just spending time persuading the wife. :):

You know I posted in the MSG groups to find out what is going on around here and never got a response.....figure I am on my own to find somebody.

:patriot::ar15:

Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area
    I have a question. I have a good 6 months food store' plenty of ammo and all the fuel I would need. However I do think we are preping for different things. What are you all prepping for?

CombatRex

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    NE side of Indy
    I have a question. I have a good 6 months food store' plenty of ammo and all the fuel I would need. However I do think we are preping for different things. What are you all prepping for?

I have started my prepping by increments...by that I mean I look at what I think is most likely to happen in this area and work on that first, IE weather events and mother nature, once I feel like I have enough to get through that, which I do (3 weeks or so of stuff), I am now looking at economic collapse and working to prep for that.....after that well I have not gotten there yet.

:patriot::ar15:

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Our immediate family is included without any vetting, friends range from people we actually know and have been friends for a long period of time so that we know their personalities. Other things we look at is what is their background, what do they do for a living and so on, lets face it having a doctor around is a no brainer, or a mechanic, gardener, ex-military and so on, Anyone that can help your little survival community. I personally would be very leery of joining up with anyone that I do not know.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond

What CombatRex said. First natural disasters, then economic collapse, and after that... well yooze yer yimajinashun.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County

We prep in general, not for any specific event. Unfortunatly you cant be prepared for everything, Basically we prep in terms of the "Old Ways of Living", prepping to live like we did a hundred years ago. knowing how to use hand tools instead of power tolls ect. We prep for about about a year because that gives us enough time hopefully to figure stuff out as we go, if we dont figure it out then I guess we wernt ment to survive, but we gave it one hell of a run lol. We have our own Garden that provides us veggies, fruit trees that provide us more fruit than we know what to do with, chickens for eggs. To me the main thing that could be an issue is energy. so we have prepared to live without modern convieneces more for the mental aspect than anything.

Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area
    Same page

We prep in general, not for any specific event. Unfortunatly you cant be prepared for everything, Basically we prep in terms of the "Old Ways of Living", prepping to live like we did a hundred years ago. knowing how to use hand tools instead of power tolls ect. We prep for about about a year because that gives us enough time hopefully to figure stuff out as we go, if we dont figure it out then I guess we wernt ment to survive, but we gave it one hell of a run lol. We have our own Garden that provides us veggies, fruit trees that provide us more fruit than we know what to do with, chickens for eggs. To me the main thing that could be an issue is energy. so we have prepared to live without modern convieneces more for the mental aspect than anything.

I guess we are on the same page after all.. In that case we have planned for our mothers. My sister and her family have started their own and my wifes sister is in denial in more ways than one. We are lucky in the fact that we live in a woods with multiple source of water and meat.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Fortunately I married into a large family. Two of the kids served in the military and also a step-grandson who won the purple heart in Iraq. So out of the six kids 4 are prepping and one wants to start and the other is a liberal (no one can figure out what happened there!)
    So we have a pretty good sized group. Problem is prepping enough for everyone. Family and significant others are in if they want to be. Others will be admitted ONLY if they have some very useful skill or their own preps and then ONLY if we feel they can and will contribute and get along with everyone else.
    It's not an easy vetting process. You don't want to turn away people but you may have to. (Also, NO LAWYERS. That's my personal bias though! :laugh:)

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    what to prepare for.....use Katrina as a template. it didn't take long for society to break down after people crawled out from under their rocks.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    To me, by far the critical element is trust. If I don't specifically trust someone, it doesn't matter to me what they know, what they have, or what they can do. I don't want them near me and I won't try to rely on them in an emergency.

If I do trust someone, everything else can be fixed, adjusted, improved, or otherwise accommodated.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I've seen some members (particularly Wetsu) talk about vetting people they know to be potential partners if the SHTF. I'm just curious as to what process each of you uses to decide on who is worthy to be in your group and who isn't. Also, I would like ideas on how to actually start the conversation about joining/starting a group that would work together if the SHTF.

I live just up the road from you and have been thinking about this very thing. I just wasn't sure exactly how to bring it up to people. I have one good friend who I would trust with my life. Him and I have an understanding that if shtf then we will be their for each other but we are about an hour apart so it may get difficult. Hit me up by PM if you'd like to talk more about it.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    To be considered, they have to be squared away dudes, known by another member, they will be invited to some training where they are evaluated. Skills, saftey, attitude, etc.

They are known well enough by another member that we don't have worry about them being, a KKK guy, molester, thief, liar, you get the idea.

couple more training sessions, meet socially a time or two, then the group has a pow wow and if ok, we will ask if they want to be a member. If yes THEN all the opsec stuff is covered.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    To me, by far the critical element is trust. If I don't specifically trust someone, it doesn't matter to me what they know, what they have, or what they can do. I don't want them near me and I won't try to rely on them in an emergency.

If I do trust someone, everything else can be fixed, adjusted, improved, or otherwise accommodated.

This. You may be out of making the call, "hey brother, go get my family out and meet at X location." I know could make that call anytime and guys would stop at nothing to do it.

Top Bottom