KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Yakimando cooked in a wok was AWESOME! They used to serve it in bags made out of the green and white tractor-feed paper used in the old dot-matrix printers. The urban legend was a guy learned about his next assignment from a bag of yaki.

At Osan: have 2000-3000 Won (2.50-not quite $4 bucks at 800 won/$1) for yaki and cab ride money in a pocket you don't usually keep money.

K-2 AB (Taegu): don't miss the last bus because its a mile and a half with binjo ditches on both sides of the road.

Mister K

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2014
    Central IN
    Yakimando cooked in a wok was AWESOME! They used to serve it in bags made out of the green and white tractor-feed paper used in the old dot-matrix printers. The urban legend was a guy learned about his next assignment from a bag of yaki.

At Osan: have 2000-3000 Won (2.50-not quite $4 bucks at 800 won/$1) for yaki and cab ride money in a pocket you don't usually keep money.

K-2 AB (Taegu): don't miss the last bus because its a mile and a half with binjo ditches on both sides of the road.

HA,HA, yeah we called those "turtle ditches" since newbies to Camp Casey had kevlars with no covers issued yet, (Green helmet, looks like a turtle), and they would always end up finding one late at night after returning from downrange after having too many, lol.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    People don't believe that aishema (sic) would go to the field with the units and cook Yaki, Ramen, and cans of soda.
    (Along with some of the other things they used to go the the field for)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I think you remember the good times and the bad times fade with time. When I retired I'd spent over half my life on active duty. You don't just leave that behind.

Absolutely. I think that's about 80% of it. The other 20% is practicing and working out sucks, but as soon as you're done with it you felt great for having done it and when you use that base to succeed in real life, its even better in hindsight. Military service is a lot like those exercise sessions, they sucked and hurt at the time, but they got you were you are today so you are thankful for them...even if you really don't want to start over on leg day again...

I wouldn't be where I am today without the military, no question at all in my mind. The military led to college and DynCorp, which led to the PD.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    The Air Force, was the only job I've ever had where I didn't regret getting up and going to work. The only job I've ever had where there was a sense of purpose, and while there wasn't tangible evidence of something being built, or finished, we knew our jobs mattered to more than just us.......

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The only job I've ever had where there was a sense of purpose, and while there wasn't tangible evidence of something being built, or finished, we knew our jobs mattered to more than just us.......
    That was why my transition to the civilian world went poorly. It felt like nothing I did mattered. That's what led me to DynCorp and then the PD.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    That was why my transition to the civilian world went poorly. It felt like nothing I did mattered. That's what led me to DynCorp and then the PD.

Very true.
    I can't begin to express what a letdown it was going from shooting and maintaining our ships' main battery to running an injection molding machine in Bloomington.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    It is a very big change to transition to civilian life.
    BB is right about nothing seeming to matter

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Gotta love Amazon.com. It's a bit too early for spicy ramyun but I'll be trying this out in another hour or so, I hope it tastes like I remember!
    98015EDE-B12A-4655-82D7-399964611E9E_zpsarmu40gk.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Oh yeah, definitely took me back 23 years as soon as I took a bite. I only used 2/3 of the seasoning packet and I'm glad I did, it was perfect. Probably would have been a little uncomfortable if I'd used the whole thing. Yummy, yummy, yummy...

C0508D63-8365-4356-8AB7-F7D8E3FF77EB_zps6rkagwbn.jpg

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Gotta love Amazon.com. It's a bit too early for spicy ramyun but I'll be trying this out in another hour or so, I hope it tastes like I remember!
    98015EDE-B12A-4655-82D7-399964611E9E_zpsarmu40gk.jpg
    That's not authentic. It's made in the USA. :)

Top Bottom