• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I also need to increase my Hawaiian shirt collection :)

I hate giving away my best aloha shirt source but hit up Goodwills, I have found dozens (my collection of aloha shirts exceeds fifty easily) of vintage aloha shirts in various Goodwills over the past few years. I am talking made on the big island shirts, not wally world wannabes. Nothing like picking a up a vintage shirt for 4 bucks.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I hate giving away my best aloha shirt source but hit up Goodwills, I have found dozens (my collection of aloha shirts exceeds fifty easily) of vintage aloha shirts in various Goodwills over the past few years. I am talking made on the big island shirts, not wally world wannabes. Nothing like picking a up a vintage shirt for 4 bucks.

hmmm, good tip!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I found a really nice, genuine, made in Hawaii, Hawaiian shirt at Goodwill a few weeks ago. Score!

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Fleece vests (polartec, etc) are pretty common around here (and thus don't draw special attention). I rarely wear a VOMP (vest of many pockets) anymore unless I'm camping, fishing, etc. where it fits the context better. A more fashionable vest + cargo pants gets the same job done.

BTW, fleece vests go on sale in the Spring with the rest of the fall/winter wear.

Hawaiian and other printed shirts do the duty during summertime.

I was gonna post this (almost verbatim!) :laugh:

I'm a big proponent of fleece anything....wearing my jacket and vest pretty frequently in weather like this. I'll even sneek in my black vest with shorts and hikers and a rolled up long sleeve shirt.

Although I don't wear them, a lot of the (ahem) "plainclothes" guys I work with wear button ups syle baseball jerseys and backwards baseball hats. Works for them...

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Speaking of aloha shirts...this is about 1/2 of the ones I own...lot's of vintage rayon in there...probably a fire hazard!

aloha1.jpg

this of course doesn't include the bowling shirts or baseball jerseys...lol.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I wear a Woolrich Concealed Carry Light vest. Have worn it for over a year. Ordered another in different color. Also have a leather vest and a fleece lind canvas one (Tractor Supply) depending on time of year. Carry the gun in holster, either belt or shoulder style. Vest is just a cover. I fine it very handy as the pockets hold keys, cell phone, business cards, extra mags and all sorts of stuff you need during the day. I wear some vest almost every day so those around me expect to see it. Part of my "look".

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This topic has me all emotional!

I actually started wearing a vest with gear in the pockets back in high school in the early 1980s, long before I was interested in firearms. My vestage was put on hiatus when a restaurant jelly package failed to contain its jelly adequately. Why did I have jelly in my pocket? Well, you never know how much trouble you will encounter ... if I ever realized I was TOAST, I wanted to be prepared.

Anyway ... vests can be really handy. Most people outside of the gun culture do not associate a vest with a concealment garment. Your overall appearance and demeanor go much further in that department.

Anyway, one thing I've learned is that vests can get really uncomfortable if you can't balance the load. If you only have pockets on the front and they are loaded, the the vest will always be riding up on your neck and irritating you. If you can find one that has pockets on the back, a couple of small bottles of water (like in a 5.11 vest) and some other gear can really help balance things. I also like to keep my IBD/wound kit in a pocket on the back as long as I can reach it.

If the vest will serve as a concealment garment as well, look for one that has snaps either in lieu of or in addition to a zipper or buttons. That will give you the option of having it closed sometimes, but still allow easy access to what is underneath.

In the past when I've worn a vest, people have made comments about going fishing freqently, and about taking pictures less often.

I think I'll wear my vest soon!

Top Bottom