• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eagle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 29, 2020
    Greenwood
    Radian makes a Raptor SD vented charging handle that's supposed to direct gas out of the ejection port and away from the operator's face, when shooting suppressed. At $100+ it's a little pricey. Has anyone vented their own charging handle instead? Maybe by drilling holes?

Or, is this concept just snake oil?

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Look at these from Strike Industries. Only $37. I have not used one, but same idea and much cheaper.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Radian makes a Raptor SD vented charging handle that's supposed to direct gas out of the ejection port and away from the operator's face, when shooting suppressed. At $100+ it's a little pricey. Has anyone vented their own charging handle instead? Maybe by drilling holes?

Or, is this concept just snake oil?
    If you have a FA, there's a vented plug available, also.

And if you haven't glued your charging handle, that's the best solution.

Eagle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 29, 2020
    Greenwood
    @ACC I like the Strike Industries concept, and the price is a nice change from where charging handles have been trending.

I'm thinking about drilling some holes in an existing charging handle, using the SD as a template. Anyone try this, or have thoughts on this approach?

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    If you have a FA, there's a vented plug available, also.

And if you haven't glued your charging handle, that's the best solution.

If by "glueing" you mean gasketing the handle, then +1 for this.
    A bead of red high temp silicon, in a "U" shape, on top of the charging handle will block all blowback from your face.

Reactions: Leo

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    If by "glueing" you mean gasketing the handle, then +1 for this.
    A bead of red high temp silicon, in a "U" shape, on top of the charging handle will block all blowback from your face.
    Blue is better.

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    PRI was the first product I was aware of designed to reduce the gas problem, have used the original M84 Gas Buster Charging Handle - Military Big Latch for many years including 10.5" suppressed uppers, and it had been out many years before that. (So either PRI were the first to invent the idea, or at least the first to market it effectively.)

In more recent years I've used their M84 Gas Buster Charging Handle - Ambidextrous Large Latch. The ambi latch design is so different I don't know why they did not give it a different designation than M84, but it is solid and will unlatch from either side as you'd expect when they call it ambi. It is a lot bulkier out each side. I use it on scoped rifles where the scope reduces clearance to reach a USGI charging handle, and where it makes it easier to run the CH from prone.

They aren't cheap, but if you are shooting suppressed they are a lot less than the suppressor cost you or even the tax stamp, and you can always move one between uppers when you move the suppressor instead of duplicating the investment. Although as noted, I find the ambi to be a benefit on some scoped ARs even shooting unsuppressed.

Eagle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 29, 2020
    Greenwood
    I ended up drilling holes in a charging handle and it seemed to work well. Adding silicone sealant may be a future project.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I used my old lathe to make a replacement, vented forward assist for my 300blk sbr. It’s gets shot suppressed 99% of the time. You can actually feel a puff of air hit your hand when shooting. It definitely was worth the time to make.

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    I have the radian one, works great when I use it with my LWRC mid-length. I have a rifle-length dissipater and there's not much difference between a vented and a normal charging handle.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Look at these from Strike Industries. Only $37. I have not used one, but same idea and much cheaper.

I've used this brand, but for my AR 10.
    They work good for the money.
    If the AR 15 changing handle is as good as the AR 10 you should be good to go.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Here's a new product coming out

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My BCM works well. I haven't used any other designs.
    I find this gas in the face thing interesting, between my kids and I we have Old Colts, Rocks and BCM's. Two righteys and I'm a lefty, We just don't have any issues with gas in the face, and thats suppressed or not.
    Maybe we dont feel it with wearing glasses on the range. IDK?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I find this gas in the face thing interesting, between my kids and I we have Old Colts, Rocks and BCM's. Two righteys and I'm a lefty, We just don't have any issues with gas in the face, and thats suppressed or not.
    Maybe we dont feel it with wearing glasses on the range. IDK?
    How close are you to the charging handle?

Are you shooting from the bench?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    How close are you to the charging handle?

Are you shooting from the bench?
    Up close for the most parts, For me either irons or an AGOG.
    My sons also shoot with ACOGS.
    For me normally on a High Power mat, all three positions. Well thats when I can "make" fat bend.

Edit, Just tossed this question to my son, he said pretty much what I posted with adding. While in the MC if a bolt had excess lube, he has been sprayed a bit in the face with his service rifle and others around him.

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Not sure what issues these are supposed to solve. My LE6920 does not seem to "leak" anywhere I can feel. Other than powder/combustion residue covering my trigger hand....

Maybe the eye relief of the Vortex scope keeps my face far enough away that I don't notice?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Up close for the most parts, For me either irons or an AGOG.
    My sons also shoot with ACOGS.
    For me normally on a High Power mat, all three positions. Well thats when I can "make" fat bend.
    Well, what the hell.

If you're sling prone, nose to the charging handle, and you can't feel gas on your eyeball, then you need to teach me how.

:D

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Well, what the hell.

If you're sling prone, nose to the charging handle, and you can't feel gas on your eyeball, then you need to teach me how.

:D
    Its probably those high end bartlein or white oak barrels causing you those problems, Down grade to a Rock River. I do find this topic very interesting.
    We are going to go shoot in a bit, both of us will pay better attention today.

Top Bottom