Vendor Selling Oil Filter Adapter at 1500 (Makeshift Suppressor)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    I didn't personally see the table but I was told by a 1500 attendant that a vendor was selling an adapter that threaded onto firearm barrels that allows an oil filter to then be screwed onto the end of the gun. The vendor was telling customers "This is for 'cleaning your gun- *wink wink*.'" They obviously were playing word games to get around calling it what it was, a device that allows you to mount an oil filter onto a firearm to suppress the report. As I had it explained to me once, anything that adapts firearm threads to a device suppressing sound (oil filter, plastic bottle, etc) is itself actually considered a suppressor by the ATF. By extensions it is therefore illegal to possess without having it serialized and paying for the tax stamp. Does anyone know anything about that vendor, that product, and the law pertaining to that particular type of device? I would err on the side of caution every day of the week when you're dealing with the ATF and federal law, so I'm concerned this vendor was misleading their customers by incorrectly creating the belief that they can just play word games and evade the legal implications of possessing something that, in reality, carries felony charges.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    I was under the impression that until you loaded one and pulled the triger it was just a solvent trap.

I don't own one, never saw the use.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I grind off all my bayonet lugs...they serve no sporting purpose

I have a drawer full of bayonet lugs. I am saving them for a rainy day. I hope that nobody thinks I need to be reported....I would be in big trouble if it became known.

I have been saving them ever since the traumatic events of 1994. I will never be without bayonet lugs ever again....

I juggle them in my hand when I am nervous. Like Captain Queeg in the movie.....The role played by Humphrey Bogart. He was right, traitors ARE everywhere..And they are out to get me.

Last edited:

jtwilson3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    I don't own or plan on buying one (Although I saw hikock with one and they are pretty awesome) but I was wondering if there was actually anyone that you could contact to determine if this is legal?

Here is someone selling it as the econocan and classify it as a silencer and go through the process.
    AmericanSpecialtyAmmo.com

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    The thread adapter is no different than any other adapter and is completely legal. If you choose to mount an oil can on it without receiving a serialized ATF stamp, then you are committing a federal crime.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    We played around with an oil filter on our 22 rifle a long time ago. I'm not sure if this works differently or not but I didn't notice much of a reduction on sound. I remain skeptical of the results based on that. Maybe we didn't use a big enough filter, not sure. Wasn't worth investigating further at the time. Probably a waste of money or the ATF would class it as an NFA item.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Constructive. Possession. Adaptor by itself is just a modification to the threading of the barrel. But if you have an oil filter on your car and an adaptor in your possession, I have no doubt you'd be having some fun making toilet wine in Terre Haute.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    What was the price on the adapters at the 1500? Selling them like that, ("This is for 'cleaning your gun- *wink wink*'"), seems like a really foolish way to end up in front of a federal Judge.

Top Bottom