• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    In 2018 when i titled the 93 f150 4x4 we got when grandma passed away, there was NO sales tax because there was no sale i only paid the n9rmal title fees and yes, you have to pay excise tax no matter what. Your father can get his taxes back with proof to the bmv that he no longer owns it.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I bought a boat from another INGOer. I went to register it with well over 6 months left on the watercraft tags. No credit available to either of us, I had to pay the tag fee in full again even though it had already been paid by him. And they wouldnt have refunded him since he didnt use the tag the whole year. And dont get me started on the separate state waterways tag they require AFTER I pay the state for the right to put it in the public waters. (just not ALL the public waters, apparently.) So there is a double dip too.
    Boat ramps do not build or maintain themselves. (Or idiot proof themselves either for that matter.) Its the same reason State Parks have entrance fees, camping fees etc.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You can get credit back for excise tax but I don't think you can get back sales tax.

You can claim sales tax, but it needs to be a significant amount as you can't then also claim state income tax. You have to pick one or the other. Unless things have changed, but my accountant always asks for any large purchases that I paid sales tax on to do the comparison.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I think you are screwed.

Because of trading with products and labor, I went to the BMV with a $1.00 signed receipt and a clear title. By the time they got done, I had to pay sales tax on the value their book said. The government bean counters are not willing to give the little guy a loop hole.

I had similar problems with excise tax on a home made utility trailer. The axle was free and 1/2 of the steel was free, but they wanted excise tax the same as a new 1/2 ton utility trailer. I offered to sell it for 1/2 of what they claimed it was worth, but they did not bite.

Top Bottom