• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    "-1" as far as I am concerned.

Detracts from proper sight alighment, aquisition, and relying on the sights.
    Can run out of batteries.
    Can break with jarring.
    Requires you to focus on your sights more than the target.

Do you have those concerns about red dots on rifles? On your last point, I totally disagree. I think I focus LESS on the sight without the emphasis on focusing on front, lining up the front and rear, etc.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Do you have those concerns about red dots on rifles? On your last point, I totally disagree. I think I focus LESS on the sight without the emphasis on focusing on front, lining up the front and rear, etc.
    Agreed. I find that one of the benefits. With bifocals now I am having a harder time focusing with iron sites, and found the red dot helped a lot.

I am going to have to get one and try it.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Detracts from proper sight alighment, aquisition, and relying on the sights.
    Can run out of batteries.
    Can break with jarring.
    Requires you to focus on your sights more than the target.

Ever run a red dot on an AR? All of those things were once said about them also, and all were debunked and they have become quite popular.

As to your last point, the red dot does just the opposite. Using iron sights often requires a front sight focus, where using an RDS requires a target focus. You don't "look" at the dot, you look at the target and superimpose the dot over it.

As to someone's question earlier about co-witnessing, here's a helpful picture.

Cantseesights.jpg

You'll notice those are "suppressor sights", which are intentionally taller than normal. They help in reaching just above the optic body so you can get an alignment with them. But, just like on a rifle, you don't normally line up all 3 points. Rather, you use only the dot to cover your target. The irons would only be used in the event of optic failure.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    As for me I don't see the need for them in 95% of the situations you would find yourself in should you need your pistol. Those being a very quick, up-close-and-personal encounter where sight acquisition isn't probably happening anyway.
    On a bit of an off topic note: try covering up your sights (front and rear) with tape and do some quick shots off the draw at a target at self defense distances. It is surprisingly easy to get good hits without even seeing your sights if you consistently practice with the gun you carry. Even try this dry-firing in your house...Draw, point, and squeeze, hold still and bring your head down to the sights, they will most likely be lined up with what you wanted. So, really, to me, a RDS would only be good if some well aimed shooting would be required which is very unlikely for a SD situation.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    So essentially, this is a cheaper way to get into it than a custom slide like this:

AquaTerra

Interesting. I could see that as being useful. I liked the info on that page about covering the far side of the optic and using both eyes shooting to see the dot on the target. Good way to train to shoot both eyes open.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I'll concede on the focus issue as I don't have much experience with these sights. I do have one that I tried a couple times on a buckmark pistol and I found it to be slower and myself searching for the dot in order to get on target. Because of this I was focusing on finding the dot and then moving it over to the sight, a much slower process...perhaps that disappears with practice.

If it was faster the competitive shooters would have flocked to them by now. Their game is about speed, so they'll latch onto any advantage they can get to win.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    IMG_20120209_185836.jpg

My EDC. At seven yards, I'm not looking for the dot (even though it normally appears anyway). I use the window like a ghost ring.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I have competed with a red dot for a long time and without.

In a LONG string of fire, its faster. You know, like competition, and unlike real life shooting.

In a short string, its slower, and if you lose the dot you can be hosed for a second or so.

Its just not that hard to shoot a pistol quickly at close range, sights or no sights, red dot or no red dot.

At longer ranges, its fine, but at longer ranges you also got time to line up the sights as well.

I am not in a hurry to get one on a carry pistol.

Its a "meh" thing to me.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If it was faster the competitive shooters would have flocked to them by now. Their game is about speed, so they'll latch onto any advantage they can get to win.

I think that ship has sailed.

Yes. The fastest shooters in the world use red dot sights. USPSA separates those with red dots (and other extensive mods) into Open division.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    It looks to me like the cost of getting onto something like this is around $1000 for a co-witness sight. I just can't see that happening for me, with not having a single pistol for EDC.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Forgot about those. J point sells them too.

the biggest advantage of having BUIS is the learning curve. Line up your iron sights and the dot magically appears. You spend less time chasing the dot.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I understand that the Vortex mounts on the rear site location of the slide. What I haven't seen is that you get cowitnessed iron sights for the same $479. The only guns I've seen with cowitnessed sights include about $500 or more of machining and supressor sights attached to the firearm.

I would not trust a firearm with red dot only for defensive use. Cowitnessing is a MUST.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I understand that the Vortex mounts on the rear site location of the slide. What I haven't seen is that you get cowitnessed iron sights for the same $479. The only guns I've seen with cowitnessed sights include about $500 or more of machining and supressor sights attached to the firearm.

I would not trust a firearm with red dot only for defensive use. Cowitnessing is a MUST.

correct the 479 will not cowitness. it been a long time since i paid for machine work, but i would think you could get the slide milled for 100 bucks, you wouldnt need to refinish the slide, and if your running the gun suppressed now i would assume you already have suppressor sights on the slide.

Top Bottom