• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I thought you boys already knew the toilets in Valpo all flush using perrier water. It is the hub of all things cosmopolitan.

I worked in MC in the early 90s at St Agonys washing dishes in the kitchen. If there was a race riot there this Irishman never noticed. Met a lot of the local talent out that way whilst in xray school.... probably end up that way every other weekend with trips to Stock n Field /Big R (whatever it is this week) and dine somewhere in the "arts district" part of town. Would much rather stay out there and dine then most of the places in Merrillville. Ho-bob has some nice restaurants (El Capitain, the Jamaican joint across the street, Yo Mommas)...

However, junior, in this scenario decided to carry his long gun per state statute and I would reckon its his business. Probably watched a few too many YT audits and wanted to see how his would play out or maybe thats how he wanted to come to town. If he was carrying a Henry and wearing a stetson n boots out that way I doubt they would have given him a 2nd glance, however with him all 'Columbine-ed" up in a black trench on a 90°day....? Maybe he could have rethought that but all in all, aint my business until he pulls a trigger. I guess the 2nd only applies when you're carrying like folks are comfortable with.

Theres a stat board somewhere that keeps track of interactions on Walmart property and iirc there is quite a bit of violent crime that occurs in their lots. Hobart Walmart had a shooting only about 2yrs ago. I'm guessing this guy may have been thinking ahead.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I guess the 2nd only applies when you're carrying like folks are comfortable with.
    Protects you from GOV (which it sounds like it did - no charges)
    NOT from the people (could have been trespassed)

Weirdos gonna get more attention to verify their level of weirdness.
    Societal norms are actually a thing, and arguably good for their community.

As posted elsewhere on INGO, duct-tape forehead carry is legal, but not recommended.

nathantwilson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2016
    Greenwood
    I'm a staunch supporting of the 2A and concealed carry anywhere I'm legally allowed, but I'm leaving anywhere I see someone carrying an assault rifle besides maybe a gun show. Plenty of examples of mass shootings perpetrated by otherwise unsuspecting-looking individuals with mental illness.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I'm a staunch supporting of the 2A and concealed carry anywhere I'm legally allowed, but I'm leaving anywhere I see someone carrying an assault rifle besides maybe a gun show. Plenty of examples of mass shootings perpetrated by otherwise unsuspecting-looking individuals with mental illness.
    First, assault rifle? Really?

Second, there are many more examples where nothing at all happened.

nathantwilson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2016
    Greenwood
    First, assault rifle? Really?

Second, there are many more examples where nothing at all happened.
    I've shot IDPA at multiple clubs and my experience has been the safety officers watch you like a hawk until you've proven your ability to safely handle a firearm... and that's in about as pro-carry of an environment as you can get. I'm not saying that a person doesn't have the right to legally carry a long gun in public, but if I don't know them I have no idea what their intentions are. I carry for protection, either concealed or open, any time I'm legally allowed to and I cannot think of a single reason to carry a long gun in public other than intimidation or looking to provoke a response from someone (even though I agree it is a person's right to do so). As it is a long-term goal of mine to never get in a gun fight, I choose to remove myself from the situation. The problem with the "examples where nothing happened at all" argument is that there's absolutely no way of knowing which it is until it's over.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I've shot IDPA at multiple clubs and my experience has been the safety officers watch you like a hawk until you've proven your ability to safely handle a firearm... and that's in about as pro-carry of an environment as you can get. I'm not saying that a person doesn't have the right to legally carry a long gun in public, but if I don't know them I have no idea what their intentions are. I carry for protection, either concealed or open, any time I'm legally allowed to and I cannot think of a single reason to carry a long gun in public other than intimidation or looking to provoke a response from someone (even though I agree it is a person's right to do so). As it is a long-term goal of mine to never get in a gun fight, I choose to remove myself from the situation. The problem with the "examples where nothing happened at all" argument is that there's absolutely no way of knowing which it is until it's over.
    Do you react the same to someone open carrying a handgun?

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI

Spook alert

nathantwilson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2016
    Greenwood
    Do you react the same to someone open carrying a handgun?
    If you read my post, you'll notice I said I myself carry both open and concealed so no, I do not react the same. I would love an education though - what practical purpose is there for carrying an assault rifle into a store other than intimidation or to provoke a response?

Floki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 17, 2021
    Indiana
    Agreed, dont mind the push back. Some people are obsessed with their "rights" without any thought of responsibility. Anyone strutting around in public with an AR or AK needs a mental health check.
    In this day where mass shootings are all too common place, and the public being highly sensitive to guns in general, we need to be ambassadors of sanity from the gun carrying crowd, we need to win the hearts and minds of non gun owners and "exercizing your God given rights" by strutting around like that is moronic.
    I almost always carry concealed, i just makes good sense to keep your card close to your vest.
    Again, dont let the nit pickers get you down, you are 100% right on this. Let the frenzy begin, as if I care...

nathantwilson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2016
    Greenwood
    "Assault Rifle"....

You have outed yourself
    I could make an argument that you've actually outed yourself by not even attempting to answer my question. I've both bought and built AR's and love shooting that platform. Again, give me one PRACTICAL reason to carry a rifle in public?

nathantwilson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2016
    Greenwood
    Agreed, dont mind the push back. Some people are obsessed with their "rights" without any thought of responsibility. Anyone strutting around in public with an AR or AK needs a mental health check.
    In this day where mass shootings are all too common place, and the public being highly sensitive to guns in general, we need to be ambassadors of sanity from the gun carrying crowd, we need to win the hearts and minds of non gun owners and "exercizing your God given rights" by strutting around like that is moronic.
    I almost always carry concealed, i just makes good sense to keep your card close to your vest.
    Again, dont let the nit pickers get you down, you are 100% right on this. Let the frenzy begin, as if I care...
    Thank you for your comment. It's very reassuring to know that there are others that take the responsibility of owning and carrying weapons seriously.

Top Bottom