• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acetylcholine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    The gun was fine. I didn't shoot it very well. My message was a bit of an inside joke for those who know me and who shoot USPSA because the P226 is not ideally suited for open division. It's acceptable under the rules, but that's like bringing the family truckster to the drag races at Clermont.

P226 is well-suited for Production Division. In fact, Sig Sauer has produced a couple of models specifically for USPSA production division and IDPA stock service pistol. They also have a big name sponsored shooter (Max Michel) who shoots one of the high end P226 pistols in production division (when he's not shooting a different gun in open)>

Thanks for the good info. Ive been on the IDPA and USPSA sites, and i THINK USPSA appeals to me a little more, at least from the videos ive watched. I get a real kick out of the speed/accuracy aspect of steel, so this kind of goes along those lines.

Rhino: Would you go with a regular P226 or the WAY more $$$ X5? Also, which class is the most competitive? Tightest competition with other ppl, preferably other noobs? :D

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I say if you carry your P226 everywhere, the by all means shoot with it.

Sig actually makes a 226 for USPSA

Sig_P226_9mm_USPSA_A.jpg

Your SIG would be great in Production Division with the Glock, XD's and M&P's.

There are plenty of guys with vids on Youtube using Sigs:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaKmTrG8K9Q]YouTube - Practical Pistol Shoot Scott Round #2[/ame]

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Also, which class is the most competitive? Tightest competition with other ppl, preferably other noobs? :D

They are all competitive. However IMO I think that Production is the most heads up even playing field as far as competition goes.

Limited capacity = everyone can only load 10+1
    Minor Scoring = accuracy is more heavily weighed than in other divisions
    Limited Equipment modifications = no equipment race

It is probably the least expensive division to begin in, an uncle mike holster, 5 mags/4 mag pouches, a new CZ,XD,M&P,Glock, and a couple of boxes of 9mm and you are carrying about the same gear as the top 10 finishers at last years Production Nationanls.
    Sure they have a trigger job, maybe some new sights, and some reloads, but that is all stuff that you can do later.

Single Stack is also pretty inexpensive to get into with the crop of Phillipines imports and Taurus 1911. For under $600 you can get a decent gun, then get a cheap holster, 4/5 mag pouches, and couple boxes of ammo and be ready to go as well.

Actaully Revovler (if you like punishment) is about the same. And you can do Limited on the cheap with a Glock 35, some mag extensions, maybe a magwell and be ready to compete (pretty much same set up won the Limited Nationals a couple years ago)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Rhino: Would you go with a regular P226 or the WAY more $$$ X5?

If I could afford the X5 and a box full of magazines, I would not hesitate to get the X5. I'd use it for carry too if I had it!

The X5 comes with the short reset, short trigger, adjustable sights, and beavertail that the standard gun lacks. I've seen one in action and it is a very nice shooting machine.

The standard P226 is no slouch, though. You'd have to be a fairly high skill level before you'd be able to realize any substantial competitive benefits from the X5.

If you have a standard P226, just get a good holster, some mag carriers, and as many magazines as you can acquire.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    You would have to get the X-5 allaround though if my memory serves me right. I can't compete with mine because of the magwell. :dunno:

Anytime you want to shoot it Rhino, let me know. I'm in Lafayette from time to time.

acetylcholine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    You would have to get the X-5 allaround though if my memory serves me right. I can't compete with mine because of the magwell. :dunno:

Anytime you want to shoot it Rhino, let me know. I'm in Lafayette from time to time.

Is your P226 a 9mm? AND you're in lafayette? I fly out of that airport, and i'm a purdue grad, so im up there often.

Update, i shot several guns @ Pop Guns, included a P226 .40S&W and an XD subcompact, and I've kind of moved on to the M&P9 or XDM9, but like i said, i haven't ruled out the 226 yet... Luckily, my LTCH doesn't come for like another 40 years, or so it seems :xmad:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Here's the thing about the P226 and other conventional double action guns. Yeah, the first trigger pull is long and heavy. Yeah, you have to accommodate a different trigger feel on subsequent shots . . . BUT . . . after that first shot, you've effectively got a single action gun. This is especially good for 3rd generation S&W pistols as well as Sigs with the new short reset trigger because of . . . the short reset.

On those rare occasions when I shoot production, it's with double action guns. In my case, it's either a Browning BDM or a Smith & Wesson. I used to shoot a P226, but it not longer lives with me!

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Yes, yes it does.

When you say everyone can load 10+1, does that mean 11 in the mag, then chamber 1, so 1 in chamber, 10 in mag, and holster?, and 10 in rest of mags?

At the start you can have 10 in the mag and1 in the chamber for 11 total, all other mags are loaded to 10.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    But if the stage starts with the gun unloaded (which does happen from time to time), you can only have 10-rounds in the mag.

The rule is 10-rounds in any mag after the buzzer.

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    I got a question. If you polish Barrel and slide does that disqualify a stock gun in shooting comps like IDPA or any of the other Org.?
    I know that Sipling or changing the grip in that manner will make them unqualified. I am just a sucker for flashy guns. Most of the guns that I have had has been stainless or inox. But I was not going to let that get in the way from getting a Glock. Thanks Jim

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I know it doesn't for USPSA, don't think it does for [STRIKE]USPSA.[/STRIKE]IDPA.

I like polishing my barrels up too.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom