• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I shot 3 pistol disciplines for quite a few years, IDPA,USPSA and Cowboy Action. Also some 3 gun and combat matches thrown in. I saw so many safety violations and bad gun handling skills in USPSA that I quit shooting those matches. Rounds fired into the ground in front of the competitor, 1911's going full auto from "sear tweaking", guys muzzling folks because they didn't know how to draw, mistakes made because everybody needed to be "fast" etc.....I find IDPA much safer and the people are nicer. Everybody in USPSA seemed to just want to win no matter how much money they had to spend on nifty gear and raceguns. People in IDPA seem more congenial and willing to help each other. Now mind you, this was all out West, I haven't shot USPSA in Indiana. They may be a nicer class of people back here...lol

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I shot 3 pistol disciplines for quite a few years, IDPA,USPSA and Cowboy Action. Also some 3 gun and combat matches thrown in. I saw so many safety violations and bad gun handling skills in USPSA that I quit shooting those matches. Rounds fired into the ground in front of the competitor, 1911's going full auto from "sear tweaking", guys muzzling folks because they didn't know how to draw, mistakes made because everybody needed to be "fast" etc.....I find IDPA much safer and the people are nicer. Everybody in USPSA seemed to just want to win no matter how much money they had to spend on nifty gear and raceguns. People in IDPA seem more congenial and willing to help each other. Now mind you, this was all out West, I haven't shot USPSA in Indiana. They may be a nicer class of people back here...lol

This not the way USPSA matches in Indiana are. I have never been to a USPSA match that resembles anything you describe. I have only been shooting them since 2003. All safety violations that you described are and would be punished with a match DQ any where in this state. I have shot major matches in Florida, Mississippi, Georgia, Ill, Kansas, Nebraska, Penn, Michigan and Ohio and not seen this type of behavior any place that I have been. Something must have changed drastically, and perhaps that is the case. I cannot speak for the past.

Wanting to win is not something that I find myself criticising others for doing. Unsafe gun handlers are not going to win so those two things do not go together. Spending money on more or better equipment will not bring about winning either. If the shooter cannot shoot fast and accurately then they will not be near the top of the score sheet. Come on out and try a club match. ACC and WVPPS put on fine matches as does South Central.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    This not the way USPSA matches in Indiana are. I have never been to a USPSA match that resembles anything you describe. I have only been shooting them since 2003. All safety violations that you described are and would be punished with a match DQ any where in this state. I have shot major matches in Florida, Mississippi, Georgia, Ill, Kansas, Nebraska, Penn, Michigan and Ohio and not seen this type of behavior any place that I have been. Something must have changed drastically, and perhaps that is the case. I cannot speak for the past.

Wanting to win is not something that I find myself criticising others for doing. Unsafe gun handlers are not going to win so those two things do not go together. Spending money on more or better equipment will not bring about winning either. If the shooter cannot shoot fast and accurately then they will not be near the top of the score sheet. Come on out and try a club match. ACC and WVPPS put on fine matches as does South Central.

+1

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    The matches I talked about were in Idaho in the early 2000's. Perhaps the fact that the match director was one of the ones going full auto explains why no DQ. And I saw guys with enough mags and speed loaders hanging off of them to qualify as pack mules. I simply prefer a more "realistic" approach to my defense shooting (yes, I know all of them are "games"). USPSA IS fun and anything that gets more people shooting can't be all bad. FWIW, I shoot IDPA with the Oxford, OH club, Silver Creek and also with the Redbrush guys down in Newburgh. May have to try out Silver Creeks USPSA matches.

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    IDPA vs USPSA

I have shot both and I prefer the IDPA , not saying USPSA is a bad sport or anything like that
    My opnion is that ALL shooting sports are good and people tend to gravitate to what they like best , and for me it is IDPA
    Good luck in whatever shooting sport You choose and have fun and be safe

paul1968mcr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Carmel

You have email :)

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The matches I talked about were in Idaho in the early 2000's. Perhaps the fact that the match director was one of the ones going full auto explains why no DQ. And I saw guys with enough mags and speed loaders hanging off of them to qualify as pack mules. I simply prefer a more "realistic" approach to my defense shooting (yes, I know all of them are "games"). USPSA IS fun and anything that gets more people shooting can't be all bad. FWIW, I shoot IDPA with the Oxford, OH club, Silver Creek and also with the Redbrush guys down in Newburgh. May have to try out Silver Creeks USPSA matches.

Drive up to ACC and try one of their USPSA matches in the spring. It is closer to you that Red Brush. Silver Creek is good as well.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The games are 90% the same. The differences really are pretty minor.

I've been involved w/ IDPA since '01 and uspsa since '06 and I've never seen the blatant problems described above. Sure there is a personality or two that might match that description, and [especially with newer shooters] there is the occasional safety lapse. And I too have shot in many states and lived in a couple different regions of the country. Both games are the same in that regard, and it's a very minor issue in both, imo.

IDPA scoring puts more emphasis on accuracy, but the shots are generally easier to make (limits in the rules on distance, the number of "no-shoot" penalty targets, and generally less moving targets).

IDPA is more scripted ("stand here and shoot in this order") where USPSA forces the shooter to figure it out. IDPA can be easier for the newer shooter as it lets you focus on the gun handling vs the gun handling AND the stage breakdown.

USPSA has higher round-count stages and matches. Again, for a newer shooter, IDPA can be a better starting point as there is less to get confused about and less to think about while shooting. But if you just enjoy trigger time, USPSA may be more for you.

IDPA tries to be more defense oriented. Lower round counts, concealed guns, and "scenario" based courses... "You're at the gas pump when gang members...." USPSA is, well, more like the "Matrix" movie... bad guys all over the freakin place.

I mostly shoot USPSA. I shot IDPA for a lot of years, but really tapered off after shooting nationals in '07. While my goal way back when I started was to be a better "defensive" shooter; I felt I met that and really wanted to be a great shooter. Frankly, at the upper levels USPSA has stronger competition, which have pushed me more to improve.

I just renewed my IDPA membership, and will still occasionally shoot a match. But since I now prefer uspsa and there is at least one match every weekend w/in 100 minutes of me, I find the round-count and speed of uspsa wins out over idpa.

I think it's great that both exist so people who don't like one of the games can maybe enjoy the other and be out shooting. As I said, the games are 90% the same. The remaining 10% is certainly not cause for the "us vs them" mentality I often read. Pick one, or pick both!

(and then there is AP, Steel, bullseye, pins, ..... it's ALL fun!).

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Also, If you have no experience with either, you can compare a bit w/ vids on my youtube account... I have some of both.
    YouTube - MDHoser's Channel

oops, I checked. Looks like I started video'ing about the time I switched. The '06 PA IDPA is the only IDPA I have on youtube. I can dig on my harddrive for more if anyone is interested?

-rvb

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I started in IDPA and did pretty well locally. I thought I was a pretty darn good shooter. Won my class and division at the KY state in 2002, 2nd iat IN state. I then had some issues and didn't shoot very much for a few years. Got back into it and was again right at the top. Then I started going to matches outside of my local club and ran into some of these USPSA shooters. They were faster AND more accurate. So, I slowly got sucked into USPSA because I wanted to shoot better. I still shoot some IDPA but it's mostly USPSA now. If you want to get better, you have to shoot with better shooters. Around here, generally speaking, the top USPSA shooters are better than the top IDPA only shooters, IMO. I had no idea how fast you can really go and still get hits on the target. Now when I shoot IDPA, I have trouble slowing down enough to get only -0 hits.

And I just love 32 round field courses. The Matrix comparison was a great one.

I pretty much had to get shamed into shooting USPSA and now, I shoot 3-4 matches a month.

Redleg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    New Palestine
    Thanks

Thanks for the "you tube" suggestion. A picture (video) is worth a thousand words. I do see a huge difference between states, clubs, etc. I look forward to getting some experience here in Indiana.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    sent you an email about your 101 at ACC :)

Can you resend? I either have not got it or I am not making the connection. I have about 20 email converstations going on different classes right now. I will try and get back to you this evening or tomorrow for certain. Thanks.

Top Bottom