• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Curious if anyone here went through this in the mid 70’s in Maine? My dad was there and he told me stories just wanted to hear from others about their experience

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My father was a Mcpo Navy Diver UDT Frogman from the 50's to early 70's. He never went to SERE or go after earning a Trident.

Your Dad earned his paycheck.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    @Creedmoor yeah I got a few wild stories out of him he was very proud of his service but did not like talking about it much. So I gathered what I could without pushing just let him share what he was willing to.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    @Creedmoor yeah I got a few wild stories out of him he was very proud of his service but did not like talking about it much. So I gathered what I could without pushing just let him share what he was willing to.
    I understand, I spent six nights with my Dad listening to him come to peace, before I did Hospice on him.

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    1964 attended the USMC/USN Escape and Evasion School near Bridgeport, California. Elevation about 6500'. Unforgettable experience. A 10 day program culminating with a tactical navigation and patrolling exercise which turned into a capture, interrogation and POW camp experience. While I cannot imagine the horrors experienced by real POWs, this 48 hours remains clear and vivid in my memory. You could quit at any time but did not get a course completion which was a significant black mark. Graduation rates were about 30%. I suspect what your Dad went through was similar. When he tells you tales that you just find a bit hard to believe, he is probably telling you "how it was."

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    1964 attended the USMC/USN Escape and Evasion School near Bridgeport, California. Elevation about 6500'. Unforgettable experience. A 10 day program culminating with a tactical navigation and patrolling exercise which turned into a capture, interrogation and POW camp experience. While I cannot imagine the horrors experienced by real POWs, this 48 hours remains clear and vivid in my memory. You could quit at any time but did not get a course completion which was a significant black mark. Graduation rates were about 30%. I suspect what your Dad went through was similar. When he tells you tales that you just find a bit hard to believe, he is probably telling you "how it was."
    I don’t think he is telling lies, he just didn’t reveal a ton and I don’t have him to ask anymore was just curious hearing from Others.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    One of my uncles was captured during Operation Market Garden (A Bridge Too Far) by the Germans. He was in a POW camp the rest of the war. He had a pretty bad time of it. Dad said he was not really right after he came back.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    My father was a Mcpo Navy Diver UDT Frogman from the 50's to early 70's. He never went to SERE or go after earning a Trident.

Your Dad earned his paycheck.
    I admire men like your dad, I served but not anywhere close to what he and others did and still do. I don't have the mental toughness to go through what they did voluntarily and I'm grateful they and others still do. We are blessed as a country to have men like those mentioned willing to do what they do on our behalf. This post was also directed at the OP and others like him.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I admire men like your dad, I served but not anywhere close to what he and others did and still do. I don't have the mental toughness to go through what they did voluntarily and I'm grateful they and others still do. We are blessed as a country to have men like those mentioned willing to do what they do on our behalf. This post was also directed at the OP and others like him.
    Thank you for your Service.

Top Bottom