Used tires... You would think that tire stores that- um... sell tires - would have a couple used tires... Sheesh.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Do you think there's a shortage of attorneys that wouldn't sign on to go after a mom and pop coffee shop? While ma and pop may not have a big ol pile of cash, their insurance company probably has a decent amount. And if the person suing wins, they might just get a turn key ready business to either run or sell if the insurance isn't enough to cover the judgement.
    I forgot all the TV commercials “have you been injured by a small used tire shop? Our legal team will help you call now, operators are standing by”.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Just because someone can sue, doesn't mean they will be successful.
    But you still have to pay the costs to defend. You'd have to sell a metric ****ton of used tires to recoup the costs of a single lawsuit (especially with a corporate defense).

Smaller shops are less likely to face those suits as there's less blood in that turnip and a much higher likelihood of discharge through bankruptcy.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    There are lots of used tire places around Indy. I've dealt with several and they all seem to be in less than ideal locations. They usually offer mounting too. Balancing not so much. I buy mostly for utility trailers. Smaller sizes are becoming very difficult to locate in the used market. There just aren't many new cars sold with 15" or 13" wheels any more. Even the basic econo grocery-getters are coming with 20" wheels nowadays. The location on Raymond St. mentioned upthread has been able to find decent rubber in just about any size. Prices were fair.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There are lots of used tire places around Indy. I've dealt with several and they all seem to be in less than ideal locations. They usually offer mounting too. Balancing not so much. I buy mostly for utility trailers. Smaller sizes are becoming very difficult to locate in the used market. There just aren't many new cars sold with 15" or 13" wheels any more. Even the basic econo grocery-getters are coming with 20" wheels nowadays. The location on Raymond St. mentioned upthread has been able to find decent rubber in just about any size. Prices were fair.
    Peterman's Tire on South Shelby near Garfield Park has been there for years and I think they specialize in used tires.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    To be fair, that is state mandated.
    I concede but have a question. If they resell tires, who gets the disposal fee? Is that a fee that goes to the state, even of the tires are resold? If so, does that mean a single tire can be disposed of more than once?

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    If one owned a tire shop, I assume it would be pretty simple to pay a lawyer to write up a general liability waiver for customers to sign before they walk out with a used tire? Nobody reads that stuff ;)

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Catch a nail in the sidewall a couple days before payday and it's much easier for many people to scrounge up $30 to 50 for a used tire vs. $100 and up(mine are over $200/ea)

nagantoid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2022
    Newburgh
    Try to call around to find a single, somewhat common size car tire- used. Forget it. "We only sell new tires"... "I need 1, not 4". "Sorry sir"...

What a scam.

I don't want/need to buy a new tire or 2 or 4. Just a single 205-55R16 to replace a donut on a project car.

:rolleyes:
    A new one on Amazon is under $70. Stores around here don't sell used tires for both profit and liability reasons; your best bet is look in FB Marketplace or Craiglist.

BaseDeltaZero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    South Bend
    Go dumpster diving behind the tire stores. Heck, I've pulled them out of dealership tire dumpster during business hours before. No one said anything. Just tell them Patrick said it was OK>

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Short of being really short of money, why would you want a used tire?

Very low use, or slow speed, or combination thereof.
    Pretty common for use around a farm, although I know this is really about car tires.
    Also not uncommon for us to put a used on a semi trailer, someone switches out all 8 there are bound to be a few good ones left.
    Also lack of availability of new is sometimes a factor.

It's called recycling, and it's 10 times more effective than chopping them up, and 1000 times more effective than hauling plastic 2 liter bottles to recycle, wearing out your tires doing so.

I'm not buying any of the too much liability talk, there's liability in everything, you asked for used you got it.

Top Bottom