Used tires... You would think that tire stores that- um... sell tires - would have a couple used tires... Sheesh.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Why? No different than selling anything else used. :dunno:
    Most likely the OP was talking about a chain tire shop with corporate policies and a lot to lose. Most places that sell used tires are fly by night small shops, with little to lose, or junk yards, neither of which have a corporate reputation or cash…

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Why not sell used tires? Because breaking with the public can suck.
    Had a farmer come in towing a piece of equipment he bought at auction. We were not a tire shop but general auto repair shop with a few used tires around. The farmer blew out a dry rotted 15 inch tire and we had no 15 inch tires. Wanted to put his truck spare, a 16 inch tire on the rim. Had to explain it was too big. Seen a 13 inch tire sitting off to the side and said used that one, explained it was too small. He said just cut the sidewall out to the right size and use a tube.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Most places that sell used tires are fly by night small shops, with little to lose, or junk yards,
    Probably no less than 10 used tires shops on E Washington st from downtown to Arlington st
    The kind of shops I described. I often wonder where they get the tires? Think the recycle company sells the tires to these shops? It seems logical. Customer pays recycling fee to corporate tire shop, recycling company sorts out decent tires, sells them to small shops. No one with deep pockets has any liability...

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    The kind of shops I described. I often wonder where they get the tires? Think the recycle company sells the tires to these shops? It seems logical. Customer pays recycling fee to corporate tire shop, recycling company sorts out decent tires, sells them to small shops. No one with deep pockets has any liability...
    Sounds about right. Or tire shops that replace sets for wealthier customers who have money to burn and replace tires with lots of tread left sort and sell in bulk.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Traditionally, most smaller shops would have a few usable old tires around for a quick cash sale. After all the lawsuits against tire companies for blowouts and all, I can see why a shop would not allow that liability. Sell a guy a used tire and he has a blow out, in today's world, too many people would go straight to litigation.

Sad, but these are the times we live in.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Tire place by me buys used tires from some company. The company inspects them and such. What they get though is luck of the draw.

They sell used, new, rims, do alignments, steering, and suspension work. They do a bit more than that but not much. They aren't a fly by night, but definitely not a large corp just a small family owned shop. They've been there that I know of over twenty years and they had a great reputation built up by then, and still do. Heck I took my mom's car into another mechanic for some work and she had mentioned needing to get an alignment and new tires soon so I asked the mechanic about doing the alignment while it was in. He told me he had the equipment and could do it and would if we wanted him to, but he took his vehicles to this place to have it done.

One time I took my car in for two new, it needed four but two were still okay and I couldn't quite swing the cost of 4 at that time. I took it in and after they pulled it in the mechanic came out and told me what I already knew, that the two were okay still but could use to be replaced. But they had a set of 4 that were 80% or better he could let me have for less than the cost of the two new and asked if I wanted to take a look at them. 80% nah more like 95% and a slightly better tire than what I was getting new.

But I'll have to disagree a bit about your reasoning, for a large corp with deep pockets lawsuits are just an added cost of business. For a small family owned shop a lawsuit could be death. Take the McDonald's hot coffee lawsuit, for them it was easily absorbed for a mom and pop burger place it would have been the kiss of death.
    Traditionally, most smaller shops would have a few usable old tires around for a quick cash sale. After all the lawsuits against tire companies for blowouts and all, I can see why a shop would not allow that liability. Sell a guy a used tire and he has a blow out, in today's world, too many people would go straight to litigation.

Sad, but these are the times we live in.
    Around me it's the smaller shops that sell used, as I mentioned above they buy them. They are inspected and "certified" so most of the liability would or at least should be on the company they buy them from.

Reactions: Leo

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    But I'll have to disagree a bit about your reasoning, for a large corp with deep pockets lawsuits are just an added cost of business. For a small family owned shop a lawsuit could be death. Take the McDonald's hot coffee lawsuit, for them it was easily absorbed for a mom and pop burger place it would have been the kiss of death.
    IF they stand to make more from whatever it is than it would cost them in a settlements, sure.

Reactions: Leo

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    IF they stand to make more from whatever it is than it would cost them in a settlements, sure.
    True, but if they are buying them from a company that "certifies" the used tire, they should be able to pass the buck. And since their are companies that do so, I figure the payout is probably worth the risk.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    True, but if they are buying them from a company that "certifies" the used tire, they should be able to pass the buck. And since their are companies that do so, I figure the payout is probably worth the risk.
    Do any of the big boys do it?

I know Discount tire doesn't. That is the only place I have bought a tire in over 10 years.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Do any of the big boys do it?

I know Discount tire doesn't. That is the only place I have bought a tire in over 10 years.
    No idea, I don't think I've bought from any of the big boys at least not that I can remember. Might be soon though, my car needs 4 new and I have to call around and get some prices. Actually I'm probably going to have 2 cars that need new. Daughter has her permit and is going to need a car by next summer.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Yep. I went through it with the son about 10 yrs ago when I was younger, not sure my heart is going to take the strain this time. Although I will say from the little I've seen so far, she is much more cautious at least starting out than her brother was.

And a word of caution for anyone venturing into Monticello in the near future, you may want to stay off the sidewalks.

• Haha
    Reactions: KLB

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Why not sell used tires? Because breaking with the public can suck.
    Had a farmer come in towing a piece of equipment he bought at auction. We were not a tire shop but general auto repair shop with a few used tires around. The farmer blew out a dry rotted 15 inch tire and we had no 15 inch tires. Wanted to put his truck spare, a 16 inch tire on the rim. Had to explain it was too big. Seen a 13 inch tire sitting off to the side and said used that one, explained it was too small. He said just cut the sidewall out to the right size and use a tube.
    Now that is a true farmer story.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Tire place by me buys used tires from some company. The company inspects them and such. What they get though is luck of the draw.

They sell used, new, rims, do alignments, steering, and suspension work. They do a bit more than that but not much. They aren't a fly by night, but definitely not a large corp just a small family owned shop. They've been there that I know of over twenty years and they had a great reputation built up by then, and still do. Heck I took my mom's car into another mechanic for some work and she had mentioned needing to get an alignment and new tires soon so I asked the mechanic about doing the alignment while it was in. He told me he had the equipment and could do it and would if we wanted him to, but he took his vehicles to this place to have it done.

One time I took my car in for two new, it needed four but two were still okay and I couldn't quite swing the cost of 4 at that time. I took it in and after they pulled it in the mechanic came out and told me what I already knew, that the two were okay still but could use to be replaced. But they had a set of 4 that were 80% or better he could let me have for less than the cost of the two new and asked if I wanted to take a look at them. 80% nah more like 95% and a slightly better tire than what I was getting new.

Around me it's the smaller shops that sell used, as I mentioned above they buy them. They are inspected and "certified" so most of the liability would or at least should be on the company they buy them from.
    The corporate tire shops have a business model for selling new tires and do not want to sell used tires, whether for liability or other reasons. The small shops likely are willing to take the risks that corporate shops will not and while the risks are great, including bankrupting the business, they serve a market niche and lack the corporate coffers that make them a target for the legal system that a corporate shop may face. Do you think the legal team that went after McD’s would sign on to go after a mom and pop coffee shop?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    The corporate tire shops have a business model for selling new tires and do not want to sell used tires, whether for liability or other reasons. The small shops likely are willing to take the risks that corporate shops will not and while the risks are great, including bankrupting the business, they serve a market niche and lack the corporate coffers that make them a target for the legal system that a corporate shop may face. Do you think the legal team that went after McD’s would sign on to go after a mom and pop coffee shop?
    Do you think there's a shortage of attorneys that wouldn't sign on to go after a mom and pop coffee shop? While ma and pop may not have a big ol pile of cash, their insurance company probably has a decent amount. And if the person suing wins, they might just get a turn key ready business to either run or sell if the insurance isn't enough to cover the judgement.

Top Bottom