US Navy says futuristic laser weapon ready for action. Less than $1 per shot.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    When did the Navy start caring about the cost of ammo?

I'm sure that's a small consideration in the grand scheme.

With no significant time-of-flight or ballistics to deal with, the ability to reliably hit fast-moving, incoming targets (ie anti-ship missiles) is probably the biggest advance. They said they are developing larger ones for other applications.

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    Maybe we can get a Civilian version for deer hunting. It's power selector could have the options: Well Done, Medium Well, Medium...

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    Not to brag or anything but...I got to use a scaled down versions of this toy in Iraq...called RECCE II (U.S. Army RDECOM AMRDEC Engineering Directorate). The RECE II was basically Sparta's Zeus laser on a JERRV MRAP. I have a M-42 submunition sitting on my office shelf, a souvenir from when I used the 2 KW laser to burn a hole through it.

I seen it being built at Redstone's integration facility during the development phase and about flipped out when I heard it was in Mosul, not being used (long story). I told my commander about it and he got it sent to us in Kirkuk. We used it a lot to develop TTPs and against old military ordnance and IEDs. It was a blast to use!

Rooster 308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    Lansing, MI
    Not to brag or anything but...I got to use a scaled down versions of this toy in Iraq...called RECCE II (U.S. Army RDECOM AMRDEC Engineering Directorate). The RECE II was basically Sparta's Zeus laser on a JERRV MRAP. I have a M-42 submunition sitting on my office shelf, a souvenir from when I used the 2 KW laser to burn a hole through it.

I seen it being built at Redstone's integration facility during the development phase and about flipped out when I heard it was in Mosul, not being used (long story). I told my commander about it and he got it sent to us in Kirkuk. We used it a lot to develop TTPs and against old military ordnance and IEDs. It was a blast to use!

Sweet

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Sailors operate the laser using a video game-type controller, according to Navy officials. With this controller, they can perform a variety of operations. If an enemy boat or aircraft gets too close to a Navy ship, the laser can deter the threat with an effect known as optical "dazzling." This nonlethal option — which amounts to a very bright glare — is meant to serve as a warning, giving the adversary a chance to change course without getting blown to smithereens.

But, if a threat keeps coming, sailors aboard the Ponce can increase the strength of the laser's highly concentrated beam, which will knock out the sensors or control systems on an enemy drone or vessel. If the adversary still doesn't get the hint, the beam can be turned up higher, making it capable of destroying the threat altogether.

You can almost hear Kirk saying phasors on stun then phasors on kill.

magus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Central IN
    It's a neat tool for sure! I wonder what it's effective range is in atmosphere though. What does fog do to it, or smoke? Of course if it's packing as much energy as it looks, it'd likely burn through anything suspended in air in short order.

Nice thing is at sea you don't have any topography screwing up our line of sight.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

Not that many will care, but "Pew-Pew" is the name of the laser pistol found in the Sunset Sarsaparilla manufacturing plant outside of New Vegas in Fallout: New Vegas.

That model is, however, much smaller and manportable.

Regards,

Doug

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    To All,

Not that many will care, but "Pew-Pew" is the name of the laser pistol found in the Sunset Sarsaparilla manufacturing plant outside of New Vegas in Fallout: New Vegas.

Regards,

Doug

Damn vault dwellers showing up everywhere.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Also today, the Secretary of the Navy announced implementation of new recruiting methodologies:

thelaststarfighter01.jpg

Really, you post this picture and no one mentions "death blossom"? What the hell is wrong with you people? FN death blossom man!!! The last star fighter was the best worst movie ever.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Really, you post this picture and no one mentions "death blossom"? What the hell is wrong with you people? FN death blossom man!!! The last star fighter was the best worst movie ever.

So it WASN'T just me then...

And apparently, I can't give any more rep to Vitamin K OR Kirk etc etc blah blah blah.
    Someone tag 'em for me, will ya? Thanx.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    So what happens if they target a mirror?

That little detail has been brought up before as a possible defense against laser weapons--simply put a mirror surface on missiles/rockets/whatever. It might work, and it might not, depending on how perfect the mirror surface is and how powerful the laser is.

It's always fun when ideas formerly only found in science fiction start to become reality. I have to wonder if any/many of the folks making it happen read through relevant scifi stories to see what different authors already thought about capability vs. countermeasures.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    To All,

Regards,

Doug

I know what I'm looking for tomorrow. Any hint on where specifically?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I know what I'm looking for tomorrow. Any hint on where specifically?

To Stephen87,

Get yerself 50 Sarsaparilla Star bottlecaps, then see yer ol' buddy Festus. He'll put ya on the right path.

Find the hidden stash and get the prize, along with Pew-Pew.

Regards,

The Courier

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    So, we need to be on par with our government... When can we get consumer-level lasers? Maybe start with semi-automatic laser guns and work up to full-auto with some sort of Class 3.

Screw full auto. I want my light saber!

Top Bottom