• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    First off I have loved riding my bike for years. But, we have many miles for bike trails that keep the bikes and cars separate and safe.
    I see this as a waste of money.
    We have bike/walking trails all over the place here. Most of the trails are through wooded areas and along the tops of flood walls along the river, meaning, no motor vehicles anywhere near.

There’s a stretch of connecting trail that runs along of the main road into where I live for about a half mile. It never fails, on really nice days, there’s always at least one group of douche bags that are just way too cool to ride on the beautiful trail, and insist on impeding traffic on the road. At least once a year I personally see some idiot laying in the roadway because they either got hit by a car, or wiped out on the loose edge of the road. If they would have only stayed on the trail, their day would have continued on without incident.

I’m currently shopping for a new bike, so I can use the trails, but I have to just shake my head at these dopes that refuse to get the hell off the road.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Funny how INGO finds limitations to freedom if it inconveniences them for a few minutes. A bicycle is exercising freedom of movement and yet I am reading about restrictions on when and where they can be ridden, often accompanied by veiled threats that they better stay out of the way…

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Funny how INGO finds limitations to freedom if it inconveniences them for a few minutes. A bicycle is exercising freedom of movement and yet I am reading about restrictions on when and where they can be ridden, often accompanied by veiled threats that they better stay out of the way…

It's beyond absurd to argue that freedom of movement equates to no restrictions on when/where/how a given form of transportation can be used. That's the same absurdity that protesters taking over roads use. "It's public property and I'm part of the public so I can decide for everyone how this piece of public property is to be used right now".

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Things have changed Mike. When I was a kid, we didn't think twice about riding on major thoroughfares. But we kept to the edge of the road and didn't impede traffic. Now there is probably 3x the amount of motorized traffic and then throw cell phones into the mix? No way in hell I would do that now. It's no longer safe to do so.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Things have changed Mike. When I was a kid, we didn't think twice about riding on major thoroughfares. But we kept to the edge of the road and didn't impede traffic. Now there is probably 3x the amount of motorized traffic and then throw cell phones into the mix? No way in hell I would do that now. It's no longer safe to do so.
    Exactly. The ones I see around here ride along talking with their buddies, while rolling through stop signs and taking up the entire driving lane.

How arrogant/stupid can these people be?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Wouldn’t do it either, but restrictions are very different.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It's beyond absurd to argue that freedom of movement equates to no restrictions on when/where/how a given form of transportation can be used. That's the same absurdity that protesters taking over roads use. "It's public property and I'm part of the public so I can decide for everyone how this piece of public property is to be used right now".
    Not sure what you thought I said, but I was responding to suggestions that bikes be restricted to paths and not be on the roads. Not that bicycling did not have some restrictions…

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    It's the natural result of people demanding freedom to make poor choices AND freedom from the consequences of those choices. Freedom requires responsibility to work properly, which many conveniently forget or ignore.

Personally, I'm fine with people playing on the roads with their toys so long as they are willing to accept consequences if they ignore basic traffic safety rules and get themselves squished by some unfortunate driver. Unfortunately, as a society we make it the responsibility of drivers to watch out for and protect bikers no matter how poor their choices, which only encourages more and worse poor choices.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I don't know if its still a thing or not but about 10 years ago there were a group of very aggressive bicycle riders who were bullying cars on Milwaukee avenue in Chicago. They rode single speed messenger style bikes and clothes and would break mirrors and dent cars that they felt were not respecting them. There were a number of incidents where they grouped together to beat motorists. I stopped driving on Milwaukee after seeing the hooligans in action a few times.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Not sure what you thought I said, but I was responding to suggestions that bikes be restricted to paths and not be on the roads. Not that bicycling did not have some restrictions…

...and you used the argument "A bicycle is exercising freedom of movement ..." which is what I responded to. Specifically pointing out what an absurd argument it was to use in this context.

Even if we ignore a bicycle doesn't have or exercise rights and you meant the bicyclist:

Can you bicycle on the interstate because freedom of movement? If not, do you (and/or your bike) no longer have "freedom of movement"? Or is it just an absurd argument from the start?

Do I have 'freedom of movement' while walking? So can I walk down the middle of the road if so? If not, do I now not have freedom of movement? It's the same absurd argument street blocking protesters use, is it not?

So, yes, I read what you said. Your point is arguable. Your offered justification of some bicycle right to travel is ridiculously absurd.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    ...and you used the argument "A bicycle is exercising freedom of movement ..." which is what I responded to. Specifically pointing out what an absurd argument it was to use in this context.

Even if we ignore a bicycle doesn't have or exercise rights and you meant the bicyclist:

Can you bicycle on the interstate because freedom of movement? If not, do you (and/or your bike) no longer have "freedom of movement"? Or is it just an absurd argument from the start?

Do I have 'freedom of movement' while walking? So can I walk down the middle of the road if so? If not, do I now not have freedom of movement? It's the same absurd argument street blocking protesters use, is it not?

So, yes, I read what you said. Your point is arguable. Your offered justification of some bicycle right to travel is ridiculously absurd.
    So if the bicycle was removed from uniform vehicle code for legal road uses period that would restrict freedom of movement and courts have struck down such laws in the past. There is a difference in the interstate highway system and common roads.

MidwesternStructures

Plinker
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2023
    Indiana
    Exactly. The ones I see around here ride along talking with their buddies, while rolling through stop signs and taking up the entire driving lane.

How arrogant/stupid can these people be?
    I take at least 3’ when cycling. You’re supposed to give someone 3’ when passing. If I’m riding all the way on the shoulder, people pass with way less room between me and them. Also riding on the shoulder or 6” from the line, if there is no shoulder, is just stupid. That’s where all the broken glass and potholes are. If you hit a pothole wrong and get launched off your bike, congrats now you’re in the middle of the street with not enough time for the car behind you to stop.

The real problem is drivers who roll coal, people who yell for no reason, and people who don’t understand that a bike is legally considered a vehicle and a cyclist has no obligation to ride all the way to right. Cyclists are allowed to take an entire lane if they want to.

Also, riding on the sidewalk is an awful idea. Sidewalk conditions are rarely optimal, people block sidewalks with their cars all the time, and that’s where pedestrians are supposed to walk. When pulling out of a driveway, most drivers are not used to seeing an object moving at 15-20 mph, which could further complicate things.

Obviously don’t ride on the highway or interstate.

Last edited:

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    I thought freedom of movement had to do with how your underwear fit or the benefit of a high fiber diet.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I take at least 3’ when cycling. You’re supposed to give someone 3’ when passing. If I’m riding all the way on the shoulder, people pass with way less room between me and them. Also riding on the shoulder or 6” from the line, if there is no shoulder, is just stupid. That’s where all the broken glass and potholes are. If you hit a pothole wrong and get launched off your bike, congrats now you’re in the middle of the street with not enough time for the car behind you to stop.

The real problem is drivers who roll coal, people who yell for no reason, and people who don’t understand that a bike is legally considered a vehicle and a cyclist has no obligation to ride all the way to right. Cyclists are allowed to take an entire lane if they want to.

Also, riding on the sidewalk is an awful idea. Sidewalk conditions are rarely optimal, people block sidewalks with their cars all the time, and that’s where pedestrians are supposed to walk. When pulling out of a driveway, most drivers are not used to seeing an object moving at 15-20 mph, which could further complicate things.

Obviously don’t ride on the highway or interstate.

How many motor vehicles do you allow to be backed up behind you, before pulling off of the roadway to let them by?

:dunno:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    How many motor vehicles do you allow to be backed up behind you, before pulling off of the roadway to let them by?

tenor.gif

MidwesternStructures

Plinker
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2023
    Indiana

If I’m riding on a rural road with no oncoming traffic, then I’m not going to pull over into a field. If I’m in the city and there’s two lanes, I’m also not going to pull over. I hardly ride on the roads though. The attitude in this thread is how most Americans are and the prime reason I don’t. I mainly ride on rail trails. I live in a college town though, so people here are usually a lot more used to seeing people on bikes and coexisting.

If I’m riding on a road, it’s usually to get from somewhere to a trail and I try and avoid busy roads.

People don’t complain when being backed up on the interstate for 20 minutes, but god forbid they are inconvenienced for 20 seconds by a cyclist.

Cyclists don’t really want to ride on the road more than necessary, especially in cities, but the cycling infrastructure in general sucks. Most bike lanes I’ve rode on in this state tend to end after a few blocks and they’re usually not well maintained. Which is stupid IMO because it’s better for your health, the environment, and less people in cars means the people in cars get to their destinations faster.

One bike lane in particular I can think of is between a straight lane and a right turn lane. The problem is there is literally not enough room for a standard car or SUV in the turning lane without blocking the bike lane.

Sorry for the wall, I am quite passionate about this, especially after seeing what people do to others online.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom