• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I know there is already a thread on this, but I think this needs its own to get attention.

ISRPA News

House Bill 1065 might be in trouble -- and the House Democrats need to hear from you now!

After passing out of the Senate last Thursday, HB 1065 was sent back to the House for a vote to pass the Senate's changes, such as removing the Homeland Security Amendment because that amendment would have gutted the bill and made it worthless. All that was necessary was for the bill's author, Representative Bob Bischoff (D), to concur.

Instead of concurring as was expected, Representative Bischoff filed a motion to dissent and called for a conference committee with less than a week remaining in this legislative session. This tactic would undoubtedly kill the bill. In prior sessions, Speaker Pat Bauer (D) has not allowed a vote on a gun bill, but the hope this year was that the Speaker would allow good gun legislation to be passed, since many of his Democrat members want to be shown as pro-2nd Amendment in this election year.

Please contact the Democrat Representatives today and urge them to support HB 1065 as it came out of the Senate. You might also send a polite e-mail to Speaker Bauer reminding him that the majority of the Democrats, along with the Republicans, have been very supportive of HB 1065 and deserve the chance to show their voters that they are indeed pro-2nd Amendment and want to protect their right "to own and bear."

For those of you who are not familiar with this bill, a synopsis is included below our signatures.
    Links to find and contact your representatives, and to the bill are as follows:
    Indiana General Assembly: Contact your Legislator
    Indiana General Assembly

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Fortunately, I get the updates on bills I'm watching. It appears that this may be OK. MAYBE.

LEGISLATION: HB 1065
    DESCRIPTION: Various provisions concerning firearms.
    LAST ACTION: House conferees appointed: Bischoff and Koch
    LAST ACTION: House advisors appointed: VanHaaften,Grubb,Torr and Murphy

I did not look up Bischoff's record. The others are all "A" or "A+" rated by NRA for a period of years. All of those who have given answers to Project Vote-Smart's "Political Courage Test" have consistently voted in favor of good gun bills and answered the questions about them mostly correctly. We still need to contact them all and tell them what we think, but this may pass OK. There is still hope... (in other words, Bauer wants dems to have political cover in the coming election)

Blessings,
    Bill

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I was just reading the wording of this bill and found something that seemed strange...why would they have private residence listed as the locations exempt from this rule??

subsection (b), the state, a political subdivision, or any other person may not prohibit or restrict the lawful possession, transfer, sale, transportation, storage, display, or use of firearms or ammunition during:
    (1) a disaster emergency;
    (2) an energy emergency; or
    (3) a local disaster emergency;
    declared under this chapter.
    (b) Subsection (a) does not authorize the possession, transfer, sale, transportation, storage, display, or use of firearms or ammunition during an emergency described in subsection (a):
    (1) in or on school property, in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function, or on a school bus in violation of IC 20-33-8-16 or IC 35-47-9-2;
    (2) on the property of:
    (A) a child caring institution;
    (B) an emergency shelter care child caring institution;
    (C) a private secure facility;
    (D) a group home; or
    (E) an emergency shelter care group home;
    in violation of 465 IAC 2-9-80, 465 IAC 2-10-79, 465 IAC 2-11-80, 465 IAC 2-12-78, or 465 IAC 2-13-77;
    (3) on the property of a penal facility (as defined in IC 35-41-1-21);
    (4) in violation of federal law;
    (5) in or on property belonging to an approved postsecondary educational institution (as defined in IC 21-7-13-6(b));
    (6) on the property of a domestic violence shelter;
    (7) at a person's residence; or
    (8) on property owned, operated, controlled, or used by an entity that:

Perhaps I'm reading this wrong? I'm certainly not a lawyer... Are they saying that this rule does not authorize possession etc. on a person's residence because other laws take care of that? It sounds like the state of emergency could still prohibit you from possessing firearms on your property during an emergency...but not on public property. That would defeat the entire purpose of the bill. I hope I'm just reading this wrong.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I was just reading the wording of this bill and found something that seemed strange...why would they have private residence listed as the locations exempt from this rule??

Perhaps I'm reading this wrong? I'm certainly not a lawyer... Are they saying that this rule does not authorize possession etc. on a person's residence because other laws take care of that? It sounds like the state of emergency could still prohibit you from possessing firearms on your property during an emergency...but not on public property. That would defeat the entire purpose of the bill. I hope I'm just reading this wrong.

yeah i think your misunderstanding it. it doesnt affect personal carry on your property. and they can always come and TRY to take my guns during an emergency but then they will be the ones needing rescued!! :):

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I see. So perhaps it's at "A person's residence" as in "not your own private residence". I assumed that would be the case, but when I read that I was just thinking someone was trying to pull a fast one. It sucks that we can't trust our lawmakers to have our best interest at heart.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    I'm probably reading too much into it but I am more concerned about number 4 re: federal law.

In the event executive directive with full force and effect of congressional mandate is taken at a federal level then this statute goes out the window? Just a first read but it it appears to subjugate state law to federal law in the event disaster or martial law is declared from a federal standpoint.

You are already not supposed to be in violation of federal law via NFA so why put it in there unless its a backdoor? The Pres. is not a State or political subdivision is it?

Just kicking it around.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Fortunately, I get the updates on bills I'm watching. It appears that this may be OK. MAYBE.

LAST ACTION: House conferees appointed: Bischoff and Koch
    LAST ACTION: House advisors appointed: VanHaaften,Grubb,Torr and Murphy

I did not look up Bischoff's record. The others are all "A" or "A+" rated by NRA for a period of years. All of those who have given answers to Project Vote-Smart's "Political Courage Test" have consistently voted in favor of good gun bills and answered the questions about them mostly correctly. We still need to contact them all and tell them what we think, but this may pass OK. There is still hope... (in other words, Bauer wants dems to have political cover in the coming election)

Blessings,
    Bill

Since I posted the above, I looked up Bischoff's record, and he apparently is as highly rated as the others.

Today, the Senate appointed their half of the conference committee:

03/01/2010 S Senate conferee appointed: Nugent and Hume 03/01/2010 S Senate advisors appointed: Steele, M. Young, R. Young and Lewis
    We cannot do any better than Johnny Nugent. He is, bar none, the best friend gun owners have in the Indiana legislature. Sen. Hume and Steele are also good for gun owners. I have not, at present, looked up any of their voting records, but I've heard Sen. Nugent, Sen. Hume, and Sen. Steele speak on gun rights and all are solid pro-gun votes. Given that Sen. Long, the President Pro Tempore of the Senate, is also pro-gun rights, (as is LtGov. Skillman), I cannot imagine the Senate would assign a weaker delegation to this committee than did the House.

I think it fair to say that this bill will pass, though in what form is still anyone's guess.

In other news, HB 1068, protecting our LTCH info from being published, has been signed by House Speaker Pat Bauer. This is a necessary step, along with the signature of either the President or President Pro Tempore of the Senate, that being, respectively, Lt. Gov. Skillman and/or Sen. David Long. Once that next signature is in place, the bill goes to Gov. Daniels and, unless vetoed, becomes law within seven days. I have heard nothing of him vetoing that measure. It will then become law on 1 July 2010.

Blessings,
    Bill

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    I love how long and drawn out this is... Pass a law to protect our rights that are already in the constitution?? Sigh.

But it does seem to be easily defeated if federal authorities come to take your guns away? Feds just deputize all the locals and bingo, all done...?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    In other news, HB 1068, protecting our LTCH info from being published, has been signed by House Speaker Pat Bauer. This is a necessary step, along with the signature of either the President or President Pro Tempore of the Senate, that being, respectively, Lt. Gov. Skillman and/or Sen. David Long. Once that next signature is in place, the bill goes to Gov. Daniels and, unless vetoed, becomes law within seven days. I have heard nothing of him vetoing that measure. It will then become law on 1 July 2010.

HB 1068 has been signed by Sen. David Long. Next stop: Gov. Daniels!

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I think it fair to say that this bill will pass, though in what form is still anyone's guess.
    I hope you're right, Bill. I'm afraid this is a Democrat ambush that will keep the thing from passing at all. They shouldn't have declined the amendments, which were merely for clarification, and sent the thing to the floor for a vote. Pat Bauer is a jerk.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I hope you're right, Bill. I'm afraid this is a Democrat ambush that will keep the thing from passing at all. They shouldn't have declined the amendments, which were merely for clarification, and sent the thing to the floor for a vote. Pat Bauer is a jerk.

Randy, Bauer isn't the one who declined the amendments; that was Bischoff, the bill's author. Perhaps Senators Nugent and Hume, and Rep. Koch can keep it as it is now. As I said earlier today, I like the effect of this bill, but I don't like the gov't overreach to make it happen.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom