• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    If used exclusively with 300BLK and subs it makes sense , but in 5.56 just a loud noise maker. That being said I get the advantages of a rifle, but 300BLK subsonic ammo is borderline ballistically identical to 45ACP just saying :abused:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Assorted parts of DoD and DHS have had the Black Mamba for a few years. Someone finally wrote a TDP (note the TDP includes the COTS element) for it and not stopped DevGru from buying it off the shelf. Discussed in part here with Shorts Lawyer video:

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Not a big fan of having a muzzle that close to my face.

A firearm is a metal box which contains an explosion in front of your face. H. Smith.

Flow through suppressors and dialable gas, custom springs for the load, and you are shooting (likely) suppressed 220s with a mask on. Would not be that bad. Sorta like:

This is a niche weapon, a very narrow slice of the pizza, a specialty wrench/drill or a 2 wood (select metaphor of choice). This isn't Joe's weapon. This is for people with a inclusive Master's degree cost in kicking someone's a**.

Last edited:

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yup, never could stand for "professionals" letting someone ruin a perfectly good body snatch as portrayed on film. In real life, they are shut up one way or another. Stupid!

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    So I'm seeing a trend here. They renamed this package "reduced signature assault rifle". Which falls in line with a previous project to shorten M110s then gave them a similar title of reduced signature sniper rifle or something like that.

Whats the whole reduced signature thing about? I feel like I'm missing it. Unless it's just buzz words made to justify buying new guns / platforms.

No doubt these new systems are designed to be short enough to begin with so that suppressed use isn't too unwieldy.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    So I'm seeing a trend here. They renamed this package "reduced signature assault rifle". Which falls in line with a previous project to shorten M110s then gave them a similar title of reduced signature sniper rifle or something like that.

Whats the whole reduced signature thing about? I feel like I'm missing it. Unless it's just buzz words made to justify buying new guns / platforms.

No doubt these new systems are designed to be short enough to begin with so that suppressed use isn't too unwieldy.

Harder for the enemy to identify where fire is coming from, also IMHO allows comms on the battlefield to be more effecient as well as potentially helping preserve service members hearing. Well worth the cost

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Whats the whole reduced signature thing about?

Like any suppressed weapon: less flash, reduced noise (especially inside a building or ship) so teammates can talk or hear each other, location confusion (harder to triangulate on gun shot), inter alia. The other angle is the size. Easy to get a Mamba into a backpack or tennis racquet case and its harder than an MP5.

SOF has/had MP5s, used them a lot, but wanted something that hit harder (thus the UMP). Navy was early on this, have been using Mamba/Rattler for a while now.

Here's a video, I think he was with 5th Group (and the FTU) which explains the MP5 use and the drawbacks of using them:

Last edited:

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Like any suppressed weapon: less flash, reduced noise (especially inside a building or ship) so teammates can talk or hear each other, location confusion (harder to triangulate on gun shot), inter alia. The other angle is the size. Easy to get a Mamba into a backpack or tennis racquet case and its harder than an MP5.

SOF has/had MP5s, used them a lot, but wanted something that hit harder (thus the UMP). Navy was early on this, have been using Mamba/Rattler for a while now.

Here's a video, I think he was with 5th Group (and the FTU) which explains the MP5 use and the drawbacks of using them:

@Dean C. And Kirk.
    I just had a mild idiot attack. For some reason I had it in my head the reduced signature thing was about making the soldiers profile / equipment smaller. Visual thing. Not sure where I read that or why it was in my head.

Weapons systems built from the ground up with sound suppression in mind makes a lot of sense now that I read your guy’s responses.

I’ll go put on my dunce hat :n00b:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    @Dean C. And Kirk.
    I just had a mild idiot attack. For some reason I had it in my head the reduced signature thing was about making the soldiers profile / equipment smaller. Visual thing. Not sure where I read that or why it was in my head.

Weapons systems built from the ground up with sound suppression in mind makes a lot of sense now that I read your guy’s responses.

I’ll go put on my dunce hat :n00b:
    My hope is that with the expansion of additive manufacturing (3 and 4-D coupled with AI) that we shall see an increased use of suppressors for our people. With cans being made on the firing line (while a CWO4 drinks coffee, of course) and then melted down to be recycled.

However, even in 2023 suppressors are not standard issue for Joe.

Top Bottom