• ...and so much more!
  • sporty_live

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Indiana Licensing Standards for Day Care Centers - Daycare.com

search under licensed day cares states "use or possession" is prohibited. They must be secured and inaccessible to children.

On a side note, the licensing may be a bit pricey at first, but the ability to make more money is there. Licensed home child care facilities are listed on the State website which is basically free advertising. Also, you can sign up for food programs that reimburse food expenses. Might be worth checking in to.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Thank you I was unaware of all that. Unlicensed just sounded very "under the radar/unregulated" Maybe the wording just through me. Sounds like sporty has you covered. Sounds like wise advice.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Several years ago one of the owners of a Noblesville daycare visited the site and was issued a citation for violating the law. I'm not sure what the outcome was.

Loopie159753

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    South Bend, Indiana
    Does it matter if they are licensed or not? From this definition it looks like any preschool or daycare is considered a school by Indiana law.
    IC 35-41-1-24.7
    "School property" defined
    Sec. 24.7. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;
    (B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
    (ii) A special education preschool program.
    (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).
    As added by P.L.296-1987, SEC.4. Amended by P.L.34-1991, SEC.27; P.L.9-1991, SEC.95; P.L.2-1992, SEC.880; P.L.81-1992, SEC.38; P.L.1-1993, SEC.240; P.L.160-1994, SEC.1; P.L.1-2005, SEC.227; P.L.145-2006, SEC.370.

So I just read this from another thread that was posted a few weeks ago. It looks like it doesn't really matter. No Guns.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The State of Indiana doesn't seem to be interested unless you're having 6 or more children. Reading those regulations, it seems as though less than 6 children means you can't be licensed and don't exist as a legal entity.

Would it make a difference if your mother simply offered a baby sitting service in her home. She could do things to teach or amuse the kids that didn't involve a planned curriculum and be a baby sitter, instead of a day care. It may be just a word game, but it might be enough.

The other question is, would her clients be upset when little Billy says he saw a big gun?

Last edited:

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think thats what worries me the most. Than little Billy's mom informs some type of authority and my mom gets in trouble. It only takes one person to ruin it for everyone else.

Shucks, just lock it in your car and park on the street.
    If you live there, keep it out of sight of the kids and lock it up in a safe or pistol box. It is easy enough to get a secure, easy to open, pistol safe.
    Just to make double sure, have your mom declare you to be security personnel authorized to be armed. She can write a note to that effect. She doesn't have to tell anyone she has a security service.:) (No sense scaring the sheep.)

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    When we had our in home daycare, the state only required that guns be locked in a gun cabinet and ammo be stored in a seperate place. Its much the same with our foster licence. you might run into a parent that does not care for guns, explain to them their are other providers, and they may find them more to their liking.
    The only problem we ever had was one child told his mom he helped me reload ( sort brass) she thought he was handling guns, after she talked to us she was fine with the activity noting sorting brass is good for fine motor skills and hand eye coridination.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    When we had our in home daycare, the state only required that guns be locked in a gun cabinet and ammo be stored in a seperate place. Its much the same with our foster licence. you might run into a parent that does not care for guns, explain to them their are other providers, and they may find them more to their liking.
    The only problem we ever had was one child told his mom he helped me reload ( sort brass) she thought he was handling guns, after she talked to us she was fine with the activity noting sorting brass is good for fine motor skills and hand eye coridination.

Wow! The voice of experience!
    That has to be worth at least two posts of conjecture.

Top Bottom