• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Modern self defense 9mm ammo has come a long way. I feel pretty confident with 8 rounds of 9mm and a spare mag. Certainly more is better, but there are plenty of guys that carry a 5 shot snubnose and don't have a problem.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    That is strictly a matter of opinion and no one can really answer it for you. It is good that you carry the LCP- definitely better than nothing. The general rule of thumb is that you should carry the largest caliber with the largest capacity that you will actually carry and are accurate with.

*All* handguns are a compromise. The LCP is definitely one that you are likely to carry based on size/weight/concealability, but has a marginal cartridge, marginal accuracy at range (if you don't have a laser), and marginal capacity. Carrying a spare mag helps, but doesn't cure the other shortcomings. A standard .45 1911, a double stack Glock and every other firearm have different strengths/weaknesses. If a gun is so large/heavy that you will not choose to carry it regularly, then it isn't of much benefit. So, what factors are most important to you? That will help you decide what to carry.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    I'll say yes. as a back up for sure, and maybe a hot weather primary carry. the 380 ACP is a john moses browning development and is also called the 9mm "kurz" aka the 9mm "short". I believe it will do whatever the 9mm will do, if you place a good shot. it's a small very easy to carry package. the trigger pull takes some getting used to though. worried about power ? check out Buffalo Bore Ammo. I really like mine, wherever I go she goes.

Last edited:

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    That is strictly a matter of opinion and no one can really answer it for you. It is good that you carry the LCP- definitely better than nothing. The general rule of thumb is that you should carry the largest caliber with the largest capacity that you will actually carry and are accurate with.

*All* handguns are a compromise. The LCP is definitely one that you are likely to carry based on size/weight/concealability, but has a marginal cartridge, marginal accuracy at range (if you don't have a laser), and marginal capacity. Carrying a spare mag helps, but doesn't cure the other shortcomings. A standard .45 1911, a double stack Glock and every other firearm have different strengths/weaknesses. If a gun is so large/heavy that you will not choose to carry it regularly, then it isn't of much benefit. So, what factors are most important to you? That will help you decide what to carry.
    ^^^this^^^ I'd add that the choice might be both situational&seasonal. You have to do your own risk analysis

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    When you can snatch the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to carry an LCP.

If my 2nd BUG had a BUG, it might have been an LCP......but I doubt it. :)

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    6 rounds of 380 beats a larger gun at home every single day of the week.

6 rounds of 380 also beats a sharp stick every day of the week.

And twice on Sunday.

One of the few calibers that would worry me (being under gunned) is .32 Long. I shot a snubbie in that caliber several years ago at the bottom of a 55 gallon drum (burning barrel needs drain holes, .22 LR worked well for this). On the 2nd shot when I realized the rounds were bouncing back at me (and not very fast, the first one I thought a bug flew by) I stopped shooting the .32 at the drum.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    And twice on Sunday.

One of the few calibers that would worry me (being under gunned) is .32 Long. I shot a snubbie in that caliber several years ago at the bottom of a 55 gallon drum (burning barrel needs drain holes, .22 LR worked well for this). On the 2nd shot when I realized the rounds were bouncing back at me (and not very fast, the first one I thought a bug flew by) I stopped shooting the .32 at the drum.
    I had a 45 acp fmj do the same thing out of a 1911. My local range had a 55 gallon drum we used for trash and it filled with rain water. I decided on cleanup day that since I did not have a drill I would put a few bullets through the bottom of the barrel so the water would drain out. I put it against the berm open end towards me so the metal would flare out and laid down prone about 10 yards away. The 45 acp out of my handgun was not going through and bouncing back. I never would have thought the round would not go through. Those 55 gallon drum bottoms are very hard, so I would not hold that against the .32 long.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I had a 45 acp fmj do the same thing out of a 1911. My local range had a 55 gallon drum we used for trash and it filled with rain water. I decided on cleanup day that since I did not have a drill I would put a few bullets through the bottom of the barrel so the water would drain out. I put it against the berm open end towards me so the metal would flare out and laid down prone about 10 yards away. The 45 acp out of my handgun was not going through and bouncing back. I never would have thought the round would not go through. Those 55 gallon drum bottoms are very hard, so I would not hold that against the .32 long.

I'm thinking filled with water vice empty could make a difference. Sounds like something for the Mythbusters.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I'm thinking filled with water vice empty could make a difference. Sounds like something for the Mythbusters.
    The one I shot was empty, I had to dump the water out, then pull the trash out before I could transport it to the berm for an attempt to drill the holes with the .45 acp. It failed, I stopped. Of course there is probably a difference in different 55 gallon drum manufacturers. Someone shipping heavy items may need a stronger bottom than someone shipping something else.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Is an LCP enough gun to carry or should I carry something bigger?

It's all about opinions (some better than others) unless and until you need to use it. If it proves to be an adequate tool for you to solve the problem, you have your answer. If not, you have your answer.

I prefer to stack the deck a little more in my favor.

Top Bottom