• ...and so much more!
  • Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    It was all so easy before the internet and instant access to AAL's. This stuff just happened and people went on about their business.

Just saying.....

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Could be wrong but a gift or inheritance is not a transfer. Firearms gifted from a different state legally you would have to find out what the other states law.

They certainly are transfers. Guns in state A gifted or given or sold or whatever to person in state B must go through an FFL. The ONLY exception to this is when they are inherited by person B. In this case, the aunt inherited the guns from the uncle because no will was mentioned that stated otherwise. For it to be a legal inheritance, it would've had to have been in writing that nephew inherits uncles guns.

If there's no will or other legal document that states that nephew inherits uncle's guns on uncle's death, they can be given to him by the aunt, but must legally go through an FFL to comply with the law.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    They certainly are transfers. Guns in state A gifted or given or sold or whatever to person in state B must go through an FFL. The ONLY exception to this is when they are inherited by person B. In this case, the aunt inherited the guns from the uncle because no will was mentioned that stated otherwise. For it to be a legal inheritance, it would've had to have been in writing that nephew inherits uncles guns.

If there's no will or other legal document that states that nephew inherits uncle's guns on uncle's death, they can be given to him by the aunt, but must legally go through an FFL to comply with the law.
    And don't spit on the sidewalk!

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    For the purposes of TRANSPORTING the firearms you are protected by federal law IF it is legal for you to own & carry the firearm(s) in Ohio AND Indiana then you are good to go, for transporting purposes.

Here is a link to the law: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

So as long as Auntie can legally give them to you in Ohio and you can own and carry them there, you should be good to go. I don't know what the law is in Ohio now for a nonresident for handguns, but I believe the longarms should be 100% legal. This is reflecting the "carry" requirement of 18 U.S.C. s926A. However, I am not a lawyer.

Note that during transportation both the firearms and ammunition (if any) must not be easily accessible.

Regards,

Doug

ckyoursix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Over by there
    At the Indiana/Ohio DMZ, The firearm sniffing dogs might pose a problem. After you produce your papers , say "I dont know how those got there", then run for the cornfield.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Several years ago, my Father was dying of terminal cancer. He gave me his guns in the final stages of hospice, when he had given up hope. He lived in Ohio, near the Richmond DMZ checkpoint.

80% of his firearms were originally purchased by me in Indiana. I gave them to him as gifts on his birthday and every Christmas. When I brought them home to Indiana, I never even gave it a thought about an FFL. I still have his 5" Colt Official Police Revolver from his days on the Dayton Police Department, along with a couple other pistols that he had purchased. I cherish his memory, each time I take his old Colt out of the safe.

Today, we live in a very different world. I would have probably checked with my FFL, before I transported them over here.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Wrong terminology. The aunt is merely acting as executor for the uncles estate and distributing items as she knew the uncle wanted them to be distributed. Thus they are not gifts regulated by the atf, they are the nephews' inheritance.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Wrong terminology. The aunt is merely acting as executor for the uncles estate and distributing items as she knew the uncle wanted them to be distributed. Thus they are not gifts regulated by the atf, they are the nephews' inheritance.

Very good point.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009

Youre not the executor if everything is left to you....

Top Bottom