• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • random_eyes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2009
    I'd been asleep for a half hour or so, but pretty deep sleep. My barking dogs wake me up; the little one barks at anything, but when the big one corroborates we know something is amiss. I was expecting to see a deer but was shocked to see some grinning young man standing at my front door peering in. I'm half way down the stairs and leaning over to see him, and I'm nearly naked, having pulled on a pair of shorts backwards at the last moment. I non-verbally communicated WTF are you doing here? and he started yelling something about running out of gas. Being big, tall, and hairy, I'm probably fairly intimidating looking, and unfortunately I have quite a bit of practice at gesturing for someone to get off my property, so he didn't waste any time leaving. I was still half asleep and I'm not very good at recognizing faces, for a few seconds I thought he might be a relative or something, but either way, he was more likely to receive a beating than fuel from me for waking me up at this hour.

So now it's 11:30 pm and the adrenaline has me feeling like I won't ever go back to sleep. I regret that I didn't grab a pistol but didn't have quick access to one. There's a gas station 1/10th of a mile down the street, no idea why some idiot would think I'm his personal gas station or whatever it was he was thinking.

Looking forward to the anti-thread "I ran out of gas while taking my pregnant wife to the hospital and some crazy hairy homeowner shooed me off without saying a word" :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The "I just ran out of gas" scam is one that is used a lot here in my area. Seldom do I go into the corner station that someone is not hitting me up for gas money. Once I took the dilapidated can from the idiots hand and put 1 dollars worth of fuel in it and he just stared at the can with a WTF am I gonna do with this look. Made my day. GAFJ.

Not saying people do not run out of gas but that could have been a ploy to get your door open.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Call the police, this guy is casing the area.

I am going to second this one. He was checking to see if you were home. probably got rattled when the dogs started barking and was looking in to see if they were caged or not. Dogs are the #1 deterrent against home invation, but if they are caged that may not work out as well. Keep your eyes open, and IMO never answer the door after 10 without a firearm on you (unless you know who it is, and that they are coming over).

SockMonkey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I don't sleep with my firearm close, but Hammerhead does. But, at the point you were at, I'd be saying "I'm calling the cops, and in 10 seconds I'm gonna release the dogs and Smith & Wesson."

Newhoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    Kouts
    I hate when things happen at night. I've allready had the talk with my daughter and her friends about sneeking around after dark. The last thing i need is to have her boyfriend come to her window at night to chat. A goodnight kiss isnt worth getting shot over. People need to stop and think about the dangers of being where your not suposto be after dark.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Random, I'm not sure where you are from but one of the Ft Wayne TV stations just minutes ago ran a story about an 80+ yr old local man that had the EXACT same thing happen. He opened the door after 11PM. A young man told him he ran out of gas and needed to use the phone. By the time it was over, the young man and a masked buddy tied him and robbed him. They did leave him scissors and called 911 for him before they left.

I know if someone knocks on my door late at night, they will be feeling more uncomfortable than I am. I have too many neighbors a stranger would have to come passed to get to me. A reasonable person would not knock on all their doors to get to me - most of them have guns too.

Keep him outside, call the cops and protect your family and your self. Anyway's, I can see where you were going with your situation; I can always scare them off by answering the door naked and armed. I hate getting dressed just to walk to the door.

Top Bottom