• ...and so much more!
  • KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    This f***ing sucks! Are you still working every day? Millwright ? Have they found you a less physical job?

This f***ing sucks! Are you still working every day? Millwright ? Have they found you a less physical job?
    The company "tried" to put me in as an overhead crane operator, forklift operator, etc but I have 6 levels of fusion in my neck so I can't look up / down / behind me very well. I have 7 levels of fusion in my lower back and a total right shoulder that has been replaced with titanium and PEEK plus s.s. screws and ti rod. So I am robopop as my kids / grandkids call me that. If I "opt" for total and permanent disability, there are a number of things you are not allowed to do like mow your lawn, ride a motorcycle, etc. Not worth it as I can still do some things - just not for an 8 hour shift. I have 33 years seniority but not enough to work in the crib. I'm screwed...

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Ford made an offer, supposedly no more tiers......but of course, those that were Tier 2, and any new hires..........no pension.
    Thats one of the reasons I never worked as a company employee under a Union Contract.
    I always worked as a Union Employee, as a company associate.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    The supporting companies for the auto industry will also be out of work.

I haul parts for Ford so I personally will be affected. The steel industry will grind to a halt.

It will be a huge hit to the entire economy. On the plus side it will be blamed in our union man in the White House.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    That 4 day work week thing...

Is that four 8 hr days?
    Or four 10 hr days?
    Or maybe an opening for AWS?

Is the pay raise.......

Overdue ( wage frozen some time back )?
    Or is it to bump up those that will still have a job when the EV stuff reduces overall UAW numbers ( keep UAW dues up )?

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    The supporting companies for the auto industry will also be out of work.

I haul parts for Ford so I personally will be affected. The steel industry will grind to a halt.

It will be a huge hit to the entire economy. On the plus side it will be blamed in our union man in the White House.
    No it won’t. You should know better. They will blame it on republicans, trump and everything and everyone they can think of. It’s never ever obidens fault

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have worked in Union and non union environments, I have also been a skilled trades employee and a salaried supervisor in both environments. Add in several different states to round out things. Technical people kind of ride the line between salary and hourly.

Of the Four experiences, I guarantee none have the market on lazy, crazy, hard working, or stupid or brilliant.

Workers do not "bite the hand that feeds them". Union or non union, It is a negotiated rate of how much the labor is worth. No poorly run company with bad products survives long even if the wage is only a bowl of gruel and a whip to the workers back.

A well run company makes money paying top wages to those who produce the profit.

When a simple parts plant manager gets an annual bonus greater than the profit sharing of 7000 hourly employees, and says that profits are short of projections because workers get paid too much, that is criminal.

We fought a big war across 5 Aprils to stop plantation management based on a two tier society.

Anyone that has not worked both sides really has little basis for a critical wide brush. There are huge wives tails on both sides against the other. BTW, the medical industry is no different.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I have worked in Union and non union environments, I have also been a skilled trades employee and a salaried supervisor in both environments. Add in several different states to round out things. Technical people kind of ride the line between salary and hourly.

Of the Four experiences, I guarantee none have the market on lazy, crazy, hard working, or stupid or brilliant.

Workers do not "bite the hand that feeds them". Union or non union, It is a negotiated rate of how much the labor is worth. No poorly run company with bad products survives long even if the wage is only a bowl of gruel and a whip to the workers back.

A well run company makes money paying top wages to those who produce the profit.

When a simple parts plant manager gets an annual bonus greater than the profit sharing of 7000 hourly employees, and says that profits are short of projections because workers get paid too much, that is criminal.

We fought a big war across 5 Aprils to stop plantation management based on a two tier society.

Anyone that has not worked both sides really has little basis for a critical wide brush. There are huge wives tails on both sides against the other. BTW, the medical industry is no different.
    I've been there, family that worked under the UAW for 20 years. Laid off with nothing to show. They were merely "suppliers" for the big names but still UAW.

Ford average non-skilled assembly line worker makes $27/hour. They get an automatic 4 weeks vacation, 16 paid holidays and a very generous matched 401k. The proposed UAW increase would make that same unskilled labor almost $36/hour, paid for 40 but only working 32. That's just short of $20k per year per employee increase. They have around 57k assembly line employees, that means just in salary alone they will pay an additional $1 Billion dollars every year. Add in the 401k matches, that's an additional $200+ Million dollars. All in they will be out $1.3 Billion dollars, but getting 80% of the work out of the same employees.

So now they have to hire an additional 20% of the working staff to cover the hours that now aren't being worked, increasing those numbers even more. So now we are looking at an additional $840 Million dollars in salary and another $40Million in 401k, and we aren't even discussing healthcare.

So what the UAW is expecting is that FoMoCo can just absorb $2.1 Billion in extra costs, or 9% of their total profit last year, or 15% of their profits from 2020. What publicly traded company would ever agree to take a double digit loss in profit?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I don't trust corporations or unions.
    The elite only worry about themselves.
    As in regular politics.........class warfare is the play. Real or imagined.

How much of what we see is theater?

Remember this.......?

Reactions: Leo

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I've been there, family that worked under the UAW for 20 years. Laid off with nothing to show. They were merely "suppliers" for the big names but still UAW.

Ford average non-skilled assembly line worker makes $27/hour. They get an automatic 4 weeks vacation, 16 paid holidays and a very generous matched 401k. The proposed UAW increase would make that same unskilled labor almost $36/hour, paid for 40 but only working 32. That's just short of $20k per year per employee increase. They have around 57k assembly line employees, that means just in salary alone they will pay an additional $1 Billion dollars every year. Add in the 401k matches, that's an additional $200+ Million dollars. All in they will be out $1.3 Billion dollars, but getting 80% of the work out of the same employees.

So now they have to hire an additional 20% of the working staff to cover the hours that now aren't being worked, increasing those numbers even more. So now we are looking at an additional $840 Million dollars in salary and another $40Million in 401k, and we aren't even discussing healthcare.

So what the UAW is expecting is that FoMoCo can just absorb $2.1 Billion in extra costs, or 9% of their total profit last year, or 15% of their profits from 2020. What publicly traded company would ever agree to take a double digit loss in profit?
    Thanks for doing the math. The union president is making it sound like it’s just so unfair the CEOs are making millions, but those millions are a drop in the bucket compared to what he’s asking. He’s just painting it as a have/have nots battle, but the math just doesn’t add up.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

It takes 20 years seniority to get four weeks vacation. The 32 hour work week is a pipe dream and will never happen. Doesn't hurt to ask though.

Reactions: Leo

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Thanks for doing the math. The union president is making it sound like it’s just so unfair the CEOs are making millions, but those millions are a drop in the bucket compared to what he’s asking. He’s just painting it as a have/have nots battle, but the math just doesn’t add up.
    WEll, it does add up if you want to crash the economy, kill a car company and put all your members out of work. But for a smart non liberal you are correct, its asinine.

Also keep in mind those numbers don't reflect the healthcare bennies the company is paying and would be forced to pay for those extra 11k employees. Hard to find hard numbers (why I didn't include them) but the rumors are 20-25% of their salary is what it costs the employer yearly. I know the Teachers union contract the wife had at one of the larger Indiana Schools here, the school paid 75% of the premiums for their teachers, and the wife paid $500/ month, that means they were paying close to $1500 per. Factor that into the 11000 new employees and you can add another $17M

Top Bottom