• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I guess I'm just old? I'm sure that U-turns on the public roadways used to be against the law, correct? Even in more recent times, haven't U-turns been against the law, within intersections or range of them?

I've always seen a fair amount of U-turns in Bloomington. Chalked it up to students from out of town?

In Bloomington there is signage allowing U-turns at an intersection of a four lane highway and an onramp to Interstate 69. WTF??? :dunno:

I don't make that turn much, normally going straight through on highway 46. I did turn onto the ramp for I69 today, after watching no less than five cars make U-turns in front of me, 3 of them made the turn out of traffic, before they got to the intersection. :n00b:

I don't get it. Seemed like a nightmare to me. No wonder there always seems to be a police call for an accident at that intersection?

:scratch:

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I guess I'm just old? I'm sure that U-turns on the public roadways used to be against the law, correct? Even in more recent times, haven't U-turns been against the law, within intersections or range of them?

I've always seen a fair amount of U-turns in Bloomington. Chalked it up to students from out of town?

In Bloomington there is signage allowing U-turns at an intersection of a four lane highway and an onramp to Interstate 69. WTF??? :dunno:

I don't make that turn much, normally going straight through on highway 46. I did turn onto the ramp for I69 today, after watching no less than five cars make U-turns in front of me, 3 of them made the turn out of traffic, before they got to the intersection. :n00b:

I don't get it. Seemed like a nightmare to me. No wonder there always seems to be a police call for an accident at that intersection?

:scratch:
    I've never understood the need for it there, unless it's for out of towners who realized they miss a turn?

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Wednesday I was turning left onto a busy divided road from a side street. All clear. Wait, u turn guy is making me wait in front of oncoming traffic.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've never understood the need for it there, unless it's for out of towners who realized they miss a turn?

They first authorized U-turns with signs at the 46/Curry Pike intersection a while back, during construction on 46. That was somewhat understandable, although still dangerous, as there is no nearby pull off to turn around.

It was kind of a cluster down there also. Especially when a whole turn lane of cars get to rolling into the intersection and they are forced to brake for the loon hard braking down to a creep to cut the U-turn.

:n00b:

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    A year or so ago they had the Indiana 63 bridge shut down on the north end of Terre Haute. You had to go north on US 41 to the first light and make a "U" turn, this is on 4 lane road. Jim.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    At US 231 and Sagamore Parkway in West Lafayette there is a left turn light for u-turns. And to get to the county road a hundred feet further on you now have to go a quarter mile and make a u-turn. I believe it will be about 25 years before they will fix this.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    U-turns are generally legal in Indiana, except when dangerous. Notable exceptions to permission include grades, curves, highway crossovers and where prohibited by signage.

IC 9-21-8, if you want to fall asleep reading.

City ordinances can also alter this. Marion Co, for example, has a blanket prohibition in any business district even if not marked:

The driver or operator of any vehicle shall not turn such vehicle so as to proceed in the opposite direction by a U-turn upon any street in a business district, or at any intersection where a left turn is prohibited, or at any place where an official traffic-control device or sign indicates that a U-turn shall not be made, nor shall the driver or operator of any vehicle so turn a vehicle unless the movement can be made in safety and without interference with other traffic.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My wife was driving in Memphis which does not allow U-Turns. She took a wrong turn and wanted to go back, so she did a U-Turn. right in front of a cop shop. While a cop was turning right into the lane she was doing the-turn.

He lit her up right away. He was actually a Lieutenant who didn’t do traffic enforcement. He told her the only reason he pulled her over is that she did it right in front of him. Gave her a ticket.

She went back to Memphis on the court date, spoke to the prosecutor and explained that she was from out of town, didn’t know u-turns were illegal. And didn’t know that was a police station. (They had sign ordinances against signs above a certain height. The cop car blocked her view of the sign. The car was unmarked so she had no idea it was a cop car.)

The female prosecutor dropped the charge in apparent solidarity. Lady would have told me or any dude to pound sand and pay the fine.

But. She was guilty AF because she said she saw a no-uturn sign. But she did not know there was a coo shop right there, or that he was a cop.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I was wondering when the Michigan Left was gonna get mentioned. I really don't understand how such can ease traffic at busy intersections. Now a vehicle (left-turners) must pass through the intersection twice.
    Theoretically the intersection functions only two ways, both ways across with no lost time for left turn lanes the engineers can get many more vehicle’s per hour through the intersection. The left turns are completed away from the intersection crossing…

Top Bottom