Two rifles with irons, or one with optic?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I'm torn on an issue. Would you rather have two rifles both with iron sights, or a single rifle with a nice optic. I see some pros and cons for both. It would be nice to have a separate setup for a friend, wife, family member, etc. I can also see the value of one rifle that is more capable due to a nice acog, 1-4, or aimpoint. If you can only have one for the time being, what would you do?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'm torn on an issue. Would you rather have two rifles both with iron sights, or a single rifle with a nice optic. I see some pros and cons for both. It would be nice to have a separate setup for a friend, wife, family member, etc. I can also see the value of one rifle that is more capable due to a nice acog, 1-4, or aimpoint. If you can only have one for the time being, what would you do?

Personally Id much rather have 1 rifle set up perfectly, than 2 rifles capable. You can only shoot 1 at a time anyways, so in my book quality trumps quantity.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The best answer will be after you declare the purpose of your rifle (or rifles)

Most of my equipment has iron sights. Upgraded target style iron sights, not the simple rear leaf sights that come on entry level .22's, although they a certainly capable for their intended use. In the hunting field, a scope comes in pretty handy for making clean shots in poor light and /or heavy foliage situations. Even though it does not magnify much, a 2 power scope on a .44 mag really helps gather light so you can get a good contrast. I put a LER wide angle scope on my slug gun, and I am looking forward to trying it out, I think it will help on those hazy fall mornings.

docapos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    mooresville area
    The best answer will be after you declare the purpose of your rifle (or rifles)
    +1

imho If you are thinking about just you then the perfect setup is best but if you are thinking defensively and can arm the friend, wife, family member then you have a force multiplier. Unless you just want to hunt.

see the top quote.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    Age has a great deal to do with it, as we age our eyes are not as good as they once were.
    If you have two rifles it makes sense to have different sights on them for older shooters that can't see the front and rear sight at the same time.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    i have one dedicated -tacticool- carbine, and one scoped rifle. the rest are iron sights. and while i can say the one with the optics on it are naildrivers, i actually enjoy iron sights more.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Josh, this is a no brainer to me. I only have one rifle without an optic of some sort and that is my .308 AK. It will get one eventually. Yes, everyone should become proficient with iron sights, but there is absolutely no reason to not take advantage of the many benefits afforded by a GOOD optic. The real question will become.....which optic?

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    All good thoughts guys. No surprise the optic salesman says optic!! (I kid). I'm not into hunting. I'm just in the position to decide to finish out a second/backup rifle or splurge on a nice optic on the main one. I need to check out your eotech Mike and a 1-4 Or 1-6. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for an acog though. There are plenty of threads and thoughts on which optic, I just have to decide 2 basic rifles or 1 decked out in the near future. Long term its a no brainer to double up optics, but unfortunately we didn't hit the lottery last week!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Age has a great deal to do with it, as we age our eyes are not as good as they once were.
    If you have two rifles it makes sense to have different sights on them for older shooters that can't see the front and rear sight at the same time.

^^^ This ^^^

I took my most accurate competition gun and put a LR scope on it (under the guise of "I'm going to shoot F-Class with it"). Now I have a highly accurate and easy to use 500+ yd firearm until the scope breaks. Then I'm back to a very accurate (with my eyes) 500 yd iron sight firearm.

M1AScoped_zpsa5257961.jpg

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    It really depends on the situation. If you think there could be a need for two people to be using rifles simultaneously (and only so much $$ to go around) then go with irons. Otherwise I'd outfit one rifle with optics.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    All good thoughts guys. No surprise the optic salesman says optic!! (I kid). I'm not into hunting. I'm just in the position to decide to finish out a second/backup rifle or splurge on a nice optic on the main one. I need to check out your eotech Mike and a 1-4 Or 1-6. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for an acog though. There are plenty of threads and thoughts on which optic, I just have to decide 2 basic rifles or 1 decked out in the near future. Long term its a no brainer to double up optics, but unfortunately we didn't hit the lottery last week!

It doesn't look like I'm in the minority either. I'm not saying all optics are better than Irons, but the right optic (dot, scope whatever) for your purpose will make all the difference in the world.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I always have atleast one gun with iron sights. They hold up a lot better then a scope in a SHTF situation. Scopes break a lot easier. But I shoot more with a scope. So I would say it depends on the guns use.

I wasn't much in to iron sights until this year. Be a well rounded shooter a learn to use both!

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    If you like 1-4 or 1-6 optics check out te new primary arms 1-6. I am debating building a rifle just for that optic.
    on original question, I have two with irons. One is a carbine and one is a rifle. The rifle is a m16A4 clone so I know I can use irons out to 500 with it. The carbine has a primary arms red dot on it, but it also has fixed irons.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If you like 1-4 or 1-6 optics check out te new primary arms 1-6. I am debating building a rifle just for that optic.
    on original question, I have two with irons. One is a carbine and one is a rifle. The rifle is a m16A4 clone so I know I can use irons out to 500 with it. The carbine has a primary arms red dot on it, but it also has fixed irons.

Have you seen the glass pics of the PA 1-6? I think PA makes a good budget product, but they need to stick with budget preformance aswell. Trying to do a 6x errector in that price range your defintally giving up something.

Primary Arms 1-6 ACSS first impressions - AR15.COM

For instance look at the breaker look at the breaker box that is just out of center.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Have you seen the glass pics of the PA 1-6? I think PA makes a good budget product, but they need to stick with budget preformance aswell. Trying to do a 6x errector in that price range your defintally giving up something.

Primary Arms 1-6 ACSS first impressions - AR15.COM

For instance look at the breaker look at the breaker box that is just out of center.
    I have not seen one yet. I just know that the idea is awesome :) I'd still really like to try one out sometime.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have not seen one yet. I just know that the idea is awesome :) I'd still really like to try one out sometime.

Its a GREAT Idea, and can work really well, just not for 250 dollars in production cost, much less retail. Most companies put over 250 dollars into the production of a 6x erector system (why they are typically more expensive). With a 6x erector you really have to be careful not to kill your eyebox.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Go with two rifles with irons. Don't forget that one is none.:nono:
    Later you can play with optics. My advice is to borrow stuff with top end QD mounts until you find what you want for sure.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I always have atleast one gun with iron sights. They hold up a lot better then a scope in a SHTF situation. Scopes break a lot easier. But I shoot more with a scope. So I would say it depends on the guns use.

I wasn't much in to iron sights until this year. Be a well rounded shooter a learn to use both!

Hold up better than a scope? Uhhhhh.... Not really. If it's even remotely well made it'll handle as much abuse as your irons, unless you take sandpaper to the lenses.

As far as the topic, quality always trumps quantity. That is unless you have your own personal army to equip, then things would be different.
    Never, ever get variable power optics unless you have $2000+ sitting around. You can get good midrange scopes that are fixed power, but an affordable variable is an oxymoron.

I've gone through a lot of optics and eventually settled on simplicity. It's the only way you're getting something decent without refinancing the house.
    This is where the trijicon acog steps in. It's roughly the price of a couple aimpoints, has excellent glass, useful passive features, and is practically bomb proof. No batteries, night or day, 0-800m. Doesn't really behave like a typical scope either. When it comes to red dots, how are they much benefit over a tritium front post? I've played with them and still have an aimpoint compM2, but my eyes aren't up to the task, astigmatism sucks.

This on the other hand, works for me.
    Tds0jJY.jpg
    (But but but 4x is too much for indoors cqb high speed low drag tactical operators!!! That wall is no more than 8 feet away.)

Top Bottom