• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Averageguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2021
    NE Indiana
    Who has turned a closet into a gun room/cabinet? I have a closet in my house that we are not using and would like to turn it in to my gun room. I plan to put a solid door with a keyless entry.

I would like the do's and don'ts of doing this.

Thanks

Last edited:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I wont go into details or post photos for security reasons. But I rigged up a hidden room deal like this.

Some consideration.

Drywall on stud construction is exceptionally easy to hack through. Older style plaster on wood is a bit harder. So consider that your going to need to harden the walls too.

Ceilings can be a mixed bag, if it's below an upper level floor, then its harder to get into. Easier if its just an attic above.

Floors? If its on the slab, forget it.. no one getting in from below, but if its above a crawlspace.. you may have to armour the floor.

Are you going to go with a hidden door? Or something that clearly looks like an armored door everyone can see. Hidden doors can be bastard hard for someone not familiar to find, if done right.

Now mine is an larger space with a place for me to sit in with a TV, not a big room.. but still larger then a closet but I have an old house that is weird with multiple patchwork additions and odd multi levels, so it was easy for me to take an odd interior room that was under a room above. I went with the hidden door deal, with.. well I won't say what but it is a feature in a house this age that is normally built in.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I wont go into details or post photos for security reasons. But I rigged up a hidden room deal like this.

Some consideration.

Drywall on stud construction is exceptionally easy to hack through. Older style plaster on wood is a bit harder. So consider that your going to need to harden the walls too.

Ceilings can be a mixed bag, if it's below an upper level floor, then its harder to get into. Easier if its just an attic above.

Floors? If its on the slab, forget it.. no one getting in from below, but if its above a crawlspace.. you may have to armour the floor.

Are you going to go with a hidden door? Or something that clearly looks like an armored door everyone can see. Hidden doors can be bastard hard for someone not familiar to find, if done right.

Now mine is an larger space with a place for me to sit in with a TV, not a big room.. but still larger then a closet but I have an old house that is weird with multiple patchwork additions and odd multi levels, so it was easy for me to take an odd interior room that was under a room above. I went with the hidden door deal, with.. well I won't say what but it is a feature in a house this age that is normally built in.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Many years ago before I could afford to buy a safe, I put a deadbolt lock on a closet door and also added hardened pins that helped prevent someone from just removing the hinges and getting into the closet. It was better than nothing.

Averageguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2021
    NE Indiana
    Many years ago before I could afford to buy a safe, I put a deadbolt lock on a closet door and also added hardened pins that helped prevent someone from just removing the hinges and getting into the closet. It was better than nothing.
    Yea, the keyless will be the deadbolt portion.

Were the hardened pins replacing the standard hinge pins?

Thanks,

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I have no experience with such a thing, as my house has no appropriate space, but if I ever build a house I'm going to put a completely block-walled room in the corner of the basement with a solid steel door and have a massive reloading bench in there, another for cleaning/maintenance/armoring, and all my guns either hung or in racks on the wall. Digging around trying to find and extract guns from overloaded safes is for suckers and poor people (both of which currently describe me, lol)!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Last edited:

Averageguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2021
    NE Indiana
    No, the male part actually is installed on the outside edge of the door and seats into the female part which is installed on the door frame.
    k, thanks for clearing that up. I assumed that's what you meant but when you mentioned hinges. I was a bit confused. Do you have a website or link that you bought from?

Top Bottom