• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyRich07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Thinking of going turkey hunting this spring. Never been before and don't have a shotgun to go hunting with. Wondering what everyone uses for a shotgun, scope, and choke combo? Thanks for the advice.

Huntinfool

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    If you have a shotgun with a screw-choke. You can make it work. Find a x-full tube or special turkey choke, and try different shells it get a good tight patern. If all you have is a 20 gauge or a 2-3/4" chamber, it will sufice. But you will be somewhat limited on distance. But that is what turkey huntin is really all about. Anyone can shoot them at a distance. The game truly starts from about 30 yards in. So don't let the thought of not having a special "turkey gun" stop you from going. Now if you have or want one, that is great but not a must, like some will tell you.

Wirh that said I carry a Benelli SBE-II. Wih a 24" barrel and usually a .655 extended choke tube that's ported. AimPoint or other holograph sight. 3-1/2" Mag-Blend or Nitro heavy-shot loads.

Some Springs I will spent more than 35 mornings waiting for the first gobble of the morning, in any number of states. As as been said before. "I don't jut hunt turkeys be I can, I hunt them because I have too"!

is it Spring yet? :)

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I hunt with a Winchester super x2 12 gauge, 3 1/2 in turkey loads. Your gun doesn't have to be the magnum 3 1/2 inch. A good 12 gauge with 3 inch, or even less will work. The true work starts in finding a choke/round set up that like one another. My first turkey x-full choke hated every round and threw the pattern high. I switched to a different choke, shot a couple different brands and size shot. Once I found something I kept with it.

Been using the same turkey set now for 6 years. Winchester extended range hi density #5 shot in a 3 1/2 inch shell. I do not use an optic sight, although I would like to try it. I still use the plain bead front sight, some people buy the attached rifle style fiber optic sights that attach to the vent rib.

My choke tube now is a Primos, cheaper than most, but shoots good. I've hunted turkeys in Indiana, Kansas, Nebraska and Texas. I really want to go out of state and chase Rios again!

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I hunt turkey with a Mossburg 835 Ultimag 3.5" magnum with an extra full turkey choke. But I started Turkey hunting with a 20 ga Mossburg pump.

You can pick up a single shot 3" magnum cheap if you wanna try it out and see if you will like it before getting a "true" turkey gun.

Huntinfool

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Nothing at all wrong with a 20 gauge. I have one set up for my wife, and it will kill any bird just as dead as any other will, and it has a heck of lot less kick. I wouldn't hesitate to carry it anytime.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Does barrel length really matter?

I am a bit in the same boat, looking for my first hunting gun; I'd like to use it also for deer and wonder if one barrel will work for both, or whether I need to be looking for something I can barrel swap (without hijacking this thread).

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Does barrel length really matter?

I am a bit in the same boat, looking for my first hunting gun; I'd like to use it also for deer and wonder if one barrel will work for both, or whether I need to be looking for something I can barrel swap (without hijacking this thread).

Holy resurrected thread Batman.
    Short answer is that in a shotgun, barrel length does not matter nearly as much as it does in a rifle. (except perhaps for a dedicated, rifled, slug barrel). Just google it and you'll find some very interesting reads on the subject.
    For turkey, the preference is 20-24" w/ a tight choke!!!, but I know guys that have done it with an 18" SD style shotgun, and a 30-32" trap gun.
    These longer guns tend to swing better, whereas a short barrel swings "choppy" and has poor follow-through. If I needed one gun to do a bit of everything, 24-26" is a good compromise. Also, SxS and O/U shotguns have shorter overall lengths, so it's not uncommon to see a 30-34" barrel in those configurations, because they don't have to account for a moving bolt.

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    To OP - from a practical perspective, a rem 870 or mossberg 500 is great because of the AFFORDABLE versatility - specifically different barrels!!.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I'm going to use my grandpa's Remington 1100-lt 20 he passed down to me. Seems more than capable enough for the job.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I have a Remington 11-87 I'm going to use IF I can get an unrifled barrel for it. If not I have a 12ga H&R with a full choke that'll do in a pinch. IF we get to go turkey hunting this year

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I kill birds with a 20 ga. smoothbore flintlock. Shot pattern density is key over horsepower.....and being able to place that density where you need to at a reasonable range for that gun. I have killed several birds with the flintlock 20 ga., but none over 30 yards.

Dirty Steve

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I run a used 870 Express Supermag (23" VR RC bbl).
    3" HV #4's, choke is Remington Remchoke "Superfull".

Before that (long ago) it was just a Magnum 12 1100 with 30" regular full choke (limit was 35 yards).

Have tested more expensive choketubes in my rig.

IMHO one needs density and horsepower. You need enough deep strikes to kill it on the spot.
    Yrs ago people thought density only.
    Lots of slow lighter energy pellets just knocks birds down. Buddy was of that thought process and ran 6's..........in big heavy 3.5" loads.
    Took a while for the lightbulb to come on.

IIRC around 2000 the American Rifleman (or Hunter) ran an article on pellet energy, and the then new High Velocity loads. It helped change a lot of minds :)

There's a reason why people use larger shot and lighter payload (choketubes help get the # of strikes we need...............we just need each strike to be deep and wicked).

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    If you can run and gun lugging an SP10 you might as well just leave it at home and take your turkeys with a spork ;)

No fun to lug around, but it's basically point, pull, and pick up. Even breaks a trail through the weeds.:)

TheDoaner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Southern IN
    For years, I've used a Benelli SBE I 12gauge with Rhino .660 ported choke and I always shoot Hevi-Shot #4 through it. That just happens to be my favorite waterfowl set up as well. I don't think the gun is too important in the turkey arena but the choke and ammo combination has produced great results for me with this gun.

Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    Have been using a Rem 870 Mag (3" shells) with a smoothbore slug barrel that accepts choke tubes. Have had good luck with the Rem Ventalator Turkey Tube. Changed the factory sights out with Fire Sights. Sights are adjusted to center of pattern and it shoots great. Killed the last two between 45-50 yards, longer than I prefer but it was the shots I had. I like the setup, short barrel, rifle sights for accuracy and tight pattern.

SInce they passed the pistol cartridge rifle law for deer it is the only way my slug barrel ever sees the light of day.

Top Bottom