Trying to catch a chicken serial killer!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Mink, for sure. We had 6 chickens slaughtered in one day. I was using a chicken tractor with 1" hardware cloth underneath and up the sides two feet. I had 2" x 3" fencing on the top and the top 2' of the sides. We never had a problem with coons getting in, but there were plenty of tracks on the roof, etc. My wife saw the mink climb the 1" and slither through the 2" x 3" opening.

They are sick bastards, just kill to kill. I've heard they drink the blood as well.

hem_ker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Plymouth
    After you secure your run/tractor as previously described ...

I’ve had the same problem on our hobby-farm and the most success I’ve had are the following baited with marshmallows (specifically designed to ensure you don’t catch a cat or dog, are far more economical & effective in my experience than a live traps)...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00T13NW3Y?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2

(Duke Powder Coated Dog Proof Racoon Traps)

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    After you secure your run/tractor as previously described ...

I’ve had the same problem on our hobby-farm and the most success I’ve had are the following baited with marshmallows (specifically designed to ensure you don’t catch a cat or dog, are far more economical & effective in my experience than a live traps)...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00T13NW3Y?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2

(Duke Powder Coated Dog Proof Racoon Traps)

Yes, that is definitely the way to go if you are sure the problem animal is a raccoon. They don't work for other varmints though. It is pretty easy/cheap to build your own wire live traps instead of buying them if you need more than one.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    Still nothing caught in the trap. I did find that one of the wires on the trap was severely bent inward. It appears something got in the trap, but stayed away from the trigger. It appears that whatever was in the trap was trying to get through one side wall in f the trap to get to the chickens. My plan now is to put a spring trap inside the live trap, closer to the entrance of the live trap. This way, if the animal goes in the trap at all, I should get it.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Depending on the brand of the live trap, some need to be tweaked so they work properly. The Havahart are worth the money. We had some of the ones from Tractor Supply that were sold in a set, and they suck.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    Depending on the brand of the live trap, some need to be tweaked so they work properly. The Havahart are worth the money. We had some of the ones from Tractor Supply that were sold in a set, and they suck.

Well... I got the set of 2 from tractor supply. :): It successfully trapped one of my meat chickens today. He didn’t seem to mind so much. I was surprised that something was able to start tearing the trap apart. Tomorrow evening, I’ll have the spring trap, so hopefully that will catch this critter.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Well... I got the set of 2 from tractor supply. :): It successfully trapped one of my meat chickens today. He didn’t seem to mind so much. I was surprised that something was able to start tearing the trap apart. Tomorrow evening, I’ll have the spring trap, so hopefully that will catch this critter.

I think my husband had to adjust the flap so it stuck up higher to get it to trip...I know he adjusted it several times and had to do it after almost every time we trapped something to get it to work again. The Havahart was more expensive but works much better so is worth the extra dollars. Good luck!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Is the mink climbing up a metal fence?
    I purchased 10, 9 volt batteries in a bulk pack from Menards.
    I turned every other battery around.
    So I had a + post by a - post.
    I took a small wire around from + on one battery to the - of the next.
    When all are connected you now have a 90 volt battery.
    Now cut a 6 inch strip of the metal fencing.
    Now tack a strip of wood so 6 1/2 is just directly above the regular fence on each fence post.
    Pull it tight so it does not sag and touch the fence.
    Now connect one terminal of the battery to the standard fence and the other to the strip.
    Now when the mink climbs the original fence and progress to the strip.
    It will get a 90 volt shock.
    Sense the two fences are not touching the batteries will last a long time.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    Still nothing in the trap. I had to leave town for a couple of days, and the trap did not get put in place for 2 nights in a row. No chickens were harmed during that time. Im wondering if whatever the critter was realized I was on to him and decided to look elsewhere for food. I have had the trap in place the last two nights and nothing. Ill keep trying and post pics if I catch anything.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Your gonna have to blast.

Is it this guy?

hqdefault.jpg

Top Bottom