• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilliJac

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2014
    The Fort
    This post is predicated on a false premise. You are presupposing that one of the establishment candidates will magically make everything OK in spite of the fact that they never have and never will because they already have what they want with the exception of a little tinkering around the edges. Before you even mention Cruz, don't forget that without being able to hide behind Trump while the bricks were flying, he would be duking it out with Paul, Huckabee, TubO'Lard, and Fiorina for fractional differences in single-digits while Jeb owned the race.

The bottom line is that there is no real disincentive to take a wild chance when all the other alternatives would have guaranteed loss. At this point, Cruz can potentially capitalize on the strategy of hiding behind Trump and hoping that he stumbles, but we will have to wait and see how that works out.

How is Cruz "hiding behind" Trump? He is calling him out, challenging him to a 1 on 1 debate... Cruz is a lion, and Trump is a coward in this situation. Are you so enamored with Trump's personality that you will ignore his promise to work with your enemy to further their goals of stripping you of your liberty? What do you say to that? Do you really just want more of the same in Washington DC?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    How is Cruz "hiding behind" Trump? He is calling him out, challenging him to a 1 on 1 debate... Cruz is a lion, and Trump is a coward in this situation. Are you so enamored with Trump's personality that you will ignore his promise to work with your enemy to further their goals of stripping you of your liberty? What do you say to that? Do you really just want more of the same in Washington DC?

He is today. He also shows signs of cozying up to the same money sources that own the establishment. There is no question that Cruz would be infinitely better than most any other traditional R who has a realistic chance, but he has led me to question the extent to which he has remained what he entered politics as being. That said, I would be happy to vote for him in November.

It is difficult to predict what Trump might do. That said, I know where we would be had he not entered the race, and that is not a comforting thought. It is also significant to remember that some of what we are seeing is the reason no one generally likes people who are not owned. Lyndon Johnson, in his typical crudeness, once declared that he didn't trust anyone unless he 'had his (the other guy's) pecker in his (Johnson's) pocket'. We are right back to the point where everyone else including Cruz is going to be reasonably predictable given that we know who their owners are, or at least the first couple of layers of ownership. Trump doesn't offer that.

I would also point out that claiming he will maintain an amicable working relationship and signing on to their team are two different things. Trump is running to be the president of all Americans. I would not consider it any more right for him to discount this than I approved Obama's remark that the Republicans 'are going to have to stand at the back of the bus'. Civility and capitulation are two different qualities. Once again, this seems to be a small risk compared with more of the same which is taking us down the sh*tter.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    .......I would also point out that claiming he will maintain an amicable working relationship and signing on to their team are two different things. Trump is running to be the president of all Americans. I would not consider it any more right for him to discount this than I approved Obama's remark that the Republicans 'are going to have to stand at the back of the bus'. Civility and capitulation are two different qualities. Once again, this seems to be a small risk compared with more of the same which is taking us down the sh*tter.

Also, this might be his reason behind giving the finger to the Fox News debate.
    He "might" be playing the field to draw in a larger "independent" vote.
    "SEE, I'M NOT A CRAZY RIGHT WINGER THAT BOWS TO FOX LIKE CRUZE!"

MilliJac

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2014
    The Fort
    He is today. He also shows signs of cozying up to the same money sources that own the establishment. There is no question that Cruz would be infinitely better than most any other traditional R who has a realistic chance, but he has led me to question the extent to which he has remained what he entered politics as being. That said, I would be happy to vote for him in November.

It is difficult to predict what Trump might do. That said, I know where we would be had he not entered the race, and that is not a comforting thought. It is also significant to remember that some of what we are seeing is the reason no one generally likes people who are not owned. Lyndon Johnson, in his typical crudeness, once declared that he didn't trust anyone unless he 'had his (the other guy's) pecker in his (Johnson's) pocket'. We are right back to the point where everyone else including Cruz is going to be reasonably predictable given that we know who their owners are, or at least the first couple of layers of ownership. Trump doesn't offer that.

I would also point out that claiming he will maintain an amicable working relationship and signing on to their team are two different things. Trump is running to be the president of all Americans. I would not consider it any more right for him to discount this than I approved Obama's remark that the Republicans 'are going to have to stand at the back of the bus'. Civility and capitulation are two different qualities. Once again, this seems to be a small risk compared with more of the same which is taking us down the sh*tter.

Select the most liberal candidate in the primary who promises to work closely with Democrats because we are tired of liberal Republicans working with Democrats to advance liberalism. All I can say is wow.

I would much rather take 8 years of Cruz destroying bloated agencies and getting NOTHING "bipartisan" done over Trump helping Democrats pass even just 25% of their agenda while doing just what he promises to do, growing government.

Also, suggesting Cruz is more in bed with big money than Trump is probably the most dishonest thing I have read in months. It is truly laughable.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Also, this might be his reason behind giving the finger to the Fox News debate.
    He "might" be playing the field to draw in a larger "independent" vote.
    "SEE, I'M NOT A CRAZY RIGHT WINGER THAT BOWS TO FOX LIKE CRUZE!"

Trump has rare potential in the middle of the road. Generally, the center is a death trap for politicians because they don't offer enough of what anyone wants to appeal to a workable audience. By taking strong stands on immigration, jobs, and doing things that work rather than joining the other insiders at fleecing everyone else, and more important, being plausible as a denizen of the center rather than the usual extreme positions during the primary, the run for the middle after the primary, and having everyone on the other side of centerline absolutely unwilling to believe that they will be represented in any way, shape, or form, Trump has a lot to work with.

Once again, as much as I despise Reid, Pelosi, et alia, I like Trump's approach a whole lot more than telling north of 40% of the population that they can just sit down and shut up for four years. That doesn't mean that I support adopting bad ideas from them, but we cannot mend the damage done by the politics of division and exclusion that the Kenyan has greatly expanded without including everyone at the table.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Select the most liberal candidate in the primary who promises to work closely with Democrats because we are tired of liberal Republicans working with Democrats to advance liberalism. All I can say is wow.

I would much rather take 8 years of Cruz destroying bloated agencies and getting NOTHING "bipartisan" done over Trump helping Democrats pass even just 25% of their agenda while doing just what he promises to do, growing government.

Also, suggesting Cruz is more in bed with big money than Trump is probably the most dishonest thing I have read in months. It is truly laughable.

Stop. Hold the phone a minute. This does not have to be an extreme 'all or nothing' discussion/debate/argument.

How do we know that Cruz will 'destroy' bloated agencies? Why do you assume Trump would foster their continuation or growth?

I could probably go along with a number of things on the D agenda. As with all things, they tend to go to extremes where I wouldn't even where I might agree up to a point, but it is also imperative to remember that human nature is to take advantage when afforded the opportunity. This is the reason why, among other seemingly strange positions for a conservative, I support the union position up to a point. Ideally, a balance is the best solution in which the unions and the management are equal enough to prevent either from egregiously taking advantage of the other. Not perfect, but the best we are likely to get. Incidentally, I have worked union, non-union, and as a part owner of a company with employees who are not part of the family, and from that, I am left right where I was.

When you bring you own big money, you may well run in those circles, have similar goals to a certain extent, but you are not owned, unlike the circumstances of big money people of which you are NOT one giving you money and expecting a return on investment from it.

How do we know that we will have the 8 years of R control of congress that your expectations of Cruz would require? Billy Jeff certainly didn't expect to spend 6 out of his 8 years having to play ball with Gingrich.

MilliJac

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2014
    The Fort
    Stop. Hold the phone a minute. This does not have to be an extreme 'all or nothing' discussion/debate/argument.

How do we know that Cruz will 'destroy' bloated agencies? Why do you assume Trump would foster their continuation or growth?

I could probably go along with a number of things on the D agenda. As with all things, they tend to go to extremes where I wouldn't even where I might agree up to a point, but it is also imperative to remember that human nature is to take advantage when afforded the opportunity. This is the reason why, among other seemingly strange positions for a conservative, I support the union position up to a point. Ideally, a balance is the best solution in which the unions and the management are equal enough to prevent either from egregiously taking advantage of the other. Not perfect, but the best we are likely to get. Incidentally, I have worked union, non-union, and as a part owner of a company with employees who are not part of the family, and from that, I am left right where I was.

When you bring you own big money, you may well run in those circles, have similar goals to a certain extent, but you are not owned, unlike the circumstances of big money people of which you are NOT one giving you money and expecting a return on investment from it.

How do we know that we will have the 8 years of R control of congress that your expectations of Cruz would require? Billy Jeff certainly didn't expect to spend 6 out of his 8 years having to play ball with Gingrich.

Then that is where we are different. I know Democrats will seize upon any 'deal' to strip my rights away and sell my generation and the next into financial slavery. I know for a fact that my country would be better off if almost no legislation passed than if even some of the Democrats' goals were accomplished. You are a centrist, I am a conservative. As long as we are honest about what we are and why we vote for someone, it is fine to disagree. My problem comes with the people who think that Trump is some sort of conservative messiah; he is not.

Trump wants single payer healthcare. If that doesn't look big government to you, I don't know what would. As for "how do we know Cruz will...", he has spent his time in congress proving that he will make every effort to do so. I know I have a hell of a lot more reason to trust Cruz on shrinking the government than Trump, not only because he actually says he will, but because he has proven that he will at least try, even if it costs him some buddy points with the establishment. Trump has proven nothing to you. You have no reason to trust him, especially since he has been a liberal up until he could smell an opening in the Republican primary, where he miraculously became a staunch conservative... yeah right. I'll take a guy who has proven himself a conservative over a guy who has proven himself the opposite any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Nobody cares, and why should they?

To leadership everybody else is something to be managed at best, and scraped off their shoes at worst.

To everybody else leadership is corrupt, the game is fixed, and life just seems to be without hope unless you hit the lottery.

Why not just enjoy the show if it's made entertaining.

Sadly, this is the way I see the situation.

It hurts to read these words and not be able to offer an insightful retort. But I am young, and if I don't care, how could I ask my peers to? And if we all stopped caring and gave in to despair, where would we go as a nation? I want America to be better for my generation and the next, even if sometimes it feels hopeless.

QFT. I'm relatively young and feel like I'm in the same boat as you. We may be rare, but at least we are not alone. It can be hard to fight every day, so I've made it something that is always running in the background (i.e. - I don't let it stop me from living and enjoying life). We may not live to see the fruits of our labor, but I still hope for a positive shift for posterity. Realistically, I think the situation that Leadeye portrays is so ingrained that the only thing that will change it is a Social Darwinism style die-off that would occur in a serious SHTF scenario. In Native American mythology, it's like the Phoenix rising from the ashes purified, or in Catholicism when someone passes through purgatory and emerges purified. It may be unpleasant and a lot of good people may die, but freedom is expensive...it happened before and sooner or later it will happen again. In the meantime, I prefer to enjoy life while fighting the soft fight. Heck, we might be successful enough in changing the course of the ship that we can avoid the hard times altogether...and thus it is a fight worth fighting every day.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I think some people misunderstand. In order for a democracy/republic etc to function the legislatures and executive have to work together. This does not mean either side has to pull up fundamental planks and feed them to the fire. It does mean they have to actually communicate and find areas where compromise is possible. All this crap we've had for the last 20 years (since Newt was Speaker) of both sides growing more and more intransigent has only served to give us perpetual gridlock while the party out of power decides it's only goal is to make sure nothing against it's ideology happens before it can get back in power and damn the People and their needs. We would be better off going back to having a king. At least then things would get done.

MilliJac

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2014
    The Fort
    I think some people misunderstand. In order for a democracy/republic etc to function the legislatures and executive have to work together. This does not mean either side has to pull up fundamental planks and feed them to the fire. It does mean they have to actually communicate and find areas where compromise is possible. All this crap we've had for the last 20 years (since Newt was Speaker) of both sides growing more and more intransigent has only served to give us perpetual gridlock while the party out of power decides it's only goal is to make sure nothing against it's ideology happens before it can get back in power and damn the People and their needs. We would be better off going back to having a king. At least then things would get done.

Do you need the government, specifically the federal government, to get things done for you? I don't want things to get done if those things are an assault on liberty and personal responsibility. Why would compromising and only assaulting liberty a little bit be better than not assaulting liberty at all...? I don't need a nanny. If you do, perhaps this isn't the country for you?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Trump ducking the debate and referring to the moderator as a bimbo is classic "in your face" reality TV. Big media speculating about how this is going to hurt him with women voters because of the "bimbo" comment, really, what do you think is the first word that pops into the average TV watching American woman voter when she sees her on TV? Thoughtful, learned, professional journalist, or "the bubble headed bleach blonde that come on at five".

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    This post is predicated on a false premise. You are presupposing that one of the establishment candidates will magically make everything OK in spite of the fact that they never have and never will because they already have what they want with the exception of a little tinkering around the edges. Before you even mention Cruz, don't forget that without being able to hide behind Trump while the bricks were flying, he would be duking it out with Paul, Huckabee, TubO'Lard, and Fiorina for fractional differences in single-digits while Jeb owned the race.

The bottom line is that there is no real disincentive to take a wild chance when all the other alternatives would have guaranteed loss. At this point, Cruz can potentially capitalize on the strategy of hiding behind Trump and hoping that he stumbles, but we will have to wait and see how that works out.

QFT. I am sanguine because the only thing Cruz has really 'proven' to me is he is a bit of an opportunist with a Don Quixote complex.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to IndyDave1776 again. FRACK!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    QFT. I am sanguine because the only thing Cruz has really 'proven' to me is he is a bit of an opportunist with a Don Quixote complex.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to IndyDave1776 again. FRACK!

That pretty well fits with me. Having been sick for a while, my voice has sounded much like that of a Cylon from the original Battlestar Galactica series!

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    20 years ago the "occupy UC berkley, or whatever campus...and go uncle ho" generation came to power, and the only real compromise with their fundamental anti-Americanism has been to leave the border unsecured so the DNC can get extra votes and the chamber of commerce can get cheap labor. That brush might be slightly broad, but the reality is that the DNC has moved hard and far to the left, resulting in the GOP pushing back. I say this as one of those saying "I didn't leave the democrat party, it left me".
    obama's antics have brought the country to what should have been a Constitutional crisis. Some things just aren't negotiable.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

That pretty well fits with me. Having been sick for a while, my voice has sounded much like that of a Cylon from the original Battlestar Galactica series!

Do you prefer Frack or Frell? (< 10 point to who calls this one)

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I was glad to see Trump get in and stir things up, talking about issues in a way that didn't let professional politicians dance around them but that's all he has to offer IMO.

On policy, he's a light weight who talks through his hat with platitudes like "I'd build a wall and make Mexico pay for it"; "I'd out negotiate putin, and then we'd get along". He's sitting out the next debate because Megyn Kelly "wasn't nice to (him)", asking pointed questions. Putin's going to be nice to him?

It's ironic when he calls Cruz a "nasty guy" and does nothing but trash talk about everyone else. A low point was saying that J.McCain isn't a war hero--"I prefer people who don't get captured". If he doesn't understand that McCain's heroism was about his conduct in brutal N.vietnamese captivity because his priorities were Country, mission, unit, self, and in that order, then he's unfit to be commander in chief. Worse, he seems to have those priorities reversed.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Trump Vows a ?Close,? ?Good Relationship? With Pelosi and Schumer as President | TheBlaze.com

I don't want my president to help them accomplish their goals. I want my president to fight them tooth and nail, and not give them an inch. Thoughts?

Making relationships doesn't necessarily mean he's going to help accomplish their goals. If he's president and needs a few votes for something, he's more likely to get them if he doesn't slam the door on people who he has some disagreements with.

Top Bottom