Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Isn't that part of the 'lawfare' plan?

And at least he doesn't have money men telling him what to do, most of his money comes from small donor grass roots support rather than majority deep pockets astro-turf support

I guess we'll get to see how short the leash really is

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    There will be constitutional issues…
    Namely one of 1st amendment right to free speech and the right to petition for redress of grievances. Trump was engaged in political free speech which is at the very core of the 1st amendment protection, and he certainly was convinced that he had grievances that he was seeking redress (remedy) for.

"The right to petition the government for a redress of grievances guarantees people the right to ask the government to provide relief for a wrong through litigation or other governmental action."

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Nature of the Sample: NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist Poll of 1,285 National Adults
    This survey of 1,285 adults was conducted July 24th through July 27th, 2023 by the Marist Poll sponsored in partnership with NPR and PBS NewsHour. Adults 18 years of age and older residing in the United States were contacted through a multi-mode design: By phone using live interviewers, by text, or online. The sampling frames include RDD plus listed landline, RDD cell phone sample plus cell phone sample based on billing address to account for inward and outward mobility, and aggregated online research panels. Survey questions were available in English or Spanish. Phone and online samples were selected to ensure that each region was represented in proportion to its adult population. The samples were then combined and balanced to reflect the 2020 American Community Survey 5-year estimates for age, gender, income, race, and region. Results are statistically significant within ±3.6 percentage points. There are 1,165 registered voters. The results for this subset are statistically significant within ±3.8 percentage points. There are 455 Republicans and Republican leaning independents. The results for this subset is statistically significant within ±6.1 percentage points. Tables include results for subgroups to only display crosstabs with an acceptable sampling error. It should be noted that although you may not see results listed for a certain group, it does not mean interviews were not completed with those individuals. It simply means the sample size is too small to report. The error margin was adjusted for sample weights and increases for cross-tabulations.
    Oh Noes! A poll in which 35.4% [just slightly more than 1out of 3] of the sample was Republican or Republican leaning, and in which selection of respondents was weighted according to the population of their 'areas' (one of five, boundaries not disclosed) says that even with all that loading of the sample parameters only a bare majority could be engineered that purportedly think Trump has done something illegal

Given that the 'samples were selected that each [of five] regions was represented in proportion to its adult population', what do you want to bet the two coasts were given outsized importance?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Trump didn't kill himself!

Too soon?

But seriously, there probably should be multiple, hardwired surveillanvce camera channels to his cellblock and cell, available to viewers continuously, so his personal security can be crowdsourced and continuous
    He's got to take a **** sometime. Personally if you want to tune into the Trump cell channel to watch over his safety, thank you for taking one for the team. :):

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I mean he's right about not having the authority as VP to do what Trump asked him to do. Also, this tends to confirm what I've said about that Trump's advisors exploring the legal theory that the VP could do it, and advised Trump so. It was a cockamamie idea. And all it did was give the Democrats and media another way to claim Trump is literally Hitler, and give people like LG just another reason to confirm what they think about him anyway.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Talking with my son this weekend, he thinks we'll see the death and dismemberment of the republican party after 2024. He doesn't see the coc and middle class ever reconciling.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    And therein lies our problem. It's gotten to the point that, no matter whether Trump did "something illegal" or not, that genie is out of the bottle. Or the toothpaste is out of the tube. Or something. In any case, American voters believe thatTrump is a crook. And therefore, unelectable in a general election.
    Therein lies part of our problem. Another part, is a significant chunk of Republican voters, including most of the Trump base, believes all Republicans are basically unelectable in a general election, and are wary of the GOP trying to "chase" electability by compromising America First principles. They saw what happened in 2020, and are ready to burn the GOP to the ground. They believe the Republic is lost, see only a very narrow path to Republican victory, and want to make sure "only" an America First candidate gets to walk that path if the planets line up right.

The other section of the GOP electorate thinks a suitably-inoffensive Republican might still win and wrest "Clown World" away from the Biden Crime Family.

Talking with my son this weekend, he thinks we'll see the death and dismemberment of the republican party after 2024. He doesn't see the coc and middle class ever reconciling.

That is the crux of the issue. The Trump base thinks the GOP just wants to "manage decline" in America by putting up a Ham Sandwich as the Republican candidate. They don't really believe the GOP will get rid of "Clown World." They think the GOP just wants to be in charge of hiring the clowns.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

I mean he's right about not having the authority as VP to do what Trump asked him to do. Also, this tends to confirm what I've said about that Trump's advisors exploring the legal theory that the VP could do it, and advised Trump so. It was a cockamamie idea. And all it did was give the Democrats and media another way to claim Trump is literally Hitler, and give people like LG just another reason to confirm what they think about him anyway.

He had the right to do it unless and until a court told him he couldn't. Why else have the VP certify the state tallies if he can't also decide not to?

He was too worried about his 'legacy' seat at the trough to take the chance

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    He had the right to do it unless and until a court told him he couldn't. Why else have the VP certify the state tallies if he can't also decide not to?

He was too worried about his 'legacy' seat at the trough to take the chance
    I think it broke his boi-scout honor code. I don’t think it was a crime to try out a legal theory, but Pence has a right to believe it goes against the constitution too.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I think it broke his boi-scout honor code. I don’t think it was a crime to try out a legal theory, but Pence has a right to believe it goes against the constitution too.
    Quite so, but we also have the right to shun him for his failure of nerve at the critical juncture

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Quite so, but we also have the right to shun him for his failure of nerve at the critical juncture
    I agree with you Big
    My dad used to say,
    "There are two sides to every argument. Unfortunately, I have neither the time, nor inclination to listen to yours"
    :lmfao:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    He is most likely correct, that he did not have the power to do what Trump asked, and was under no moral obligation to do so. Trumpers can shun him for that if they want, but Inthink there are more certain reasons to ignore him.

Reactions: KG1

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    He is most likely correct, that he did not have the power to do what Trump asked, and was under no moral obligation to do so. Trumpers can shun him for that if they want, but Inthink there are more certain reasons to ignore him.
    There is always an easy road. Straight is the gate, and narrow the way and few that will follow.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN

I mean he's right about not having the authority as VP to do what Trump asked him to do.

Yup, because if he did then every single VP would have had the right in every single Presidential election to throw out any and all states he/she decided to... it just isn't a thing and never has been.

Also, this tends to confirm what I've said about that Trump's advisors exploring the legal theory that the VP could do it, and advised Trump so. It was a cockamamie idea.

Not only cockamamie, not only unConstitutional... ANTI-Constitutional.

And all it did was give the Democrats and media another way to claim Trump is literally Hitler, and give people like LG just another reason to confirm what they think about him anyway.
    Not Hitler, IMO.

But definitely a power-hungry megalomaniac.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Yup, because if he did then every single VP would have had the right in every single Presidential election to throw out any and all states he/she decided to... it just isn't a thing and never has been.

Not only cockamamie, not only unConstitutional... ANTI-Constitutional.
    If that be true, why are there contingencies in the constitution?
    So are you asserting that EVERY SINGLE Vice President has had the power to arbitrarily throw out any and all state certified electors they wanted to?

And that it's in the Consitution/Amendments that they had the right to "de-certify" state electors vs simple preside over "counting" them?

Show your work... it ain't there, never has been.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So are you asserting that EVERY SINGLE Vice President has had the power to arbitrarily throw out any and all state certified electors they wanted to?

And that it's in the Consitution/Amendments that they had the right to "de-certify" state electors vs simple preside over "counting" them?

Show your work... it ain't there, never has been.
    If there are constitutional grounds to do so, such as a state conducting an election not as the legislature prescribed and there are competing slates of electors, yes they can.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom