• Status
    Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Even now, you keep insisting I hold positions I do not hold, have told you so on several occasions I do not hold them, and my posting history consistently demonstrates that I don't.
    You mean like claiming someone worships Trump and is in a cult because they won't condemn him in the quantity and manner that you require?

I feel your pain

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    1) Trump only actually appeals to Trumpers. And it's not lost on me that this group is a plurality. He'll get a few more voters like me who are willing to suck it up and vote for the 2nd place. But he does not appeal to me and I do not believe he is the right person for the job.
    See, that's the sort of unsupported claim that makes me question your sincerity. If challenged on that, you usually will fall back on not citations but some blather about how you have created a synthesis from many sources of information blah blah continuum blah blah

So if you're going to pull pseudofacts out of your ... backhole ... I guess I get to cite polls, specifically the RCP average of polling

Screen Shot 2023-06-02 at 6.40.43 PM.png

Trump has well over 50% of the votes of likely republican voters, and a 31 point lead on DeSlipstream. The 'always Trump' faction was placed at 28% a few months ago, so either the number of Trumpers is growing rapidly or Trump is appealing to more than just Trumpers

And since the other 'candidates' have scarcely gotten beyond the margin of error, those defections must be coming from DeSandinistas

I think there might be trouble in paradise. The op-ed I posted earlier nailed it. People don't want a pastel copy of Trump, they want the real thing

Looking forward to your hard evidence that proves me wrong, not your opinions

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    See, that's the sort of unsupported claim that makes me question your sincerity. If challenged on that, you usually will fall back on not citations but some blather about how you have created a synthesis from many sources of information blah blah continuum blah blah

So if you're going to pull pseudofacts out of your ... backhole ... I guess I get to cite polls, specifically the RCP average of polling

View attachment 279541

Trump has well over 50% of the votes of likely republican voters, and a 31 point lead on DeSlipstream. The 'always Trump' faction was placed at 28% a few months ago, so either the number of Trumpers is growing rapidly or Trump is appealing to more than just Trumpers

And since the other 'candidates' have scarcely gotten beyond the margin of error, those defections must be coming from DeSandinistas

I think there might be trouble in paradise. The op-ed I posted earlier nailed it. People don't want a pastel copy of Trump, they want the real thing

Looking forward to your hard evidence that proves me wrong, not your opinions
    See. Here's the thing. You're so focused on finding a "gotcha" in my post that you didn't bother to understand what I was saying. You clearly missed the bar. So you wrote all those werds. And spent all that time to look up a poll. On likely republican voters. Which was not the context in which the quoted text was written. General election/Reagan strategy. Also, the bar I set was "appeals to" not "will vote for". Two different things.

So. Go back and read it within the context. Which is pretty obviously the general election. And then you can go off trying to make a gotcha out of it after you actually understand what I said. Find you a poll that shows what I said is incorrect, in the context of the general election, and something more akin to favorability rather than simply will vote for, and get back to me.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You mean like claiming someone worships Trump and is in a cult because they won't condemn him in the quantity and manner that you require?

I feel your pain

I guess if you act like you worship somethign, it's reasonable to suspect you worship something.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    See. Here's the thing. You're so focused on finding a "gotcha" in my post that you didn't bother to understand what I was saying. You clearly missed the bar. So you wrote all those werds. And spent all that time to look up a poll. On likely republican voters. Which was not the context in which the quoted text was written. General election/Reagan strategy. Also, the bar I set was "appeals to" not "will vote for". Two different things.

So. Go back and read it within the context. Which is pretty obviously the general election. And then you can go off trying to make a gotcha out of it after you actually understand what I said. Find you a poll that shows what I said is incorrect, in the context of the general election, and something more akin to favorability rather than simply will vote for, and get back to me.
    So, nothing to back up the claim, yes?

Color me surprised

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Is this it? The op-ed?

He's a weak player. IMO he isn't America First he just plays one on TV. I'm supposed to want DeSantis in the whitehouse because he says the right things and 'has taken a firm position (that is to say, he is slipstreaming Trump's positions)' on some issues or other

I am really interested in finding a candidate with the chops. Not one I necessarily like. One that I think is equipped to do what I think needs done. We can disagree on what that is. And I'll only ridicule you when you ridicule mine. And I have, because you have. I've looked for reasons to think DeSantis isn't serious about AF. It looks to me like he has consistently been. Maybe not to your liking. But you have one to your liking and it doesn't look to me like there is a person capable of taking Trump's place regardless of the bona fides. I wrote before that Trump does not own AF. I think many people thought it. I think we've all felt that way. Trump hit on the concept with MAGA. He gets credit for the large part he played in it. He doesn't own it. It preexisted Trump.

But I'm not supposed to want Trump in the whitehouse because he said the right things (before it was fashionable and the people running in his draft could see it was working) and then did his best to actually deliver
    No. You're not supposed to not want Trump in the White House. He's your candidate. Support him. Defend him. But, when other people express reasons not to support him that's THEIR opinion. It doesn't mean they want you to agree with them. In fact, in most cases, people bring up the most derogatory points while defending themselves from you attacking them because they said something you don't like.

I should want an unknown quantity who has done some good at the state level (See:Scott Walker or the father of Obamacare Mitt Romney) and hope that will pay off as president. I've already made that bet while being endlessly lectured about how my man was an east coast liberal, a democrat dressed up as a republican yada, yada. And when that longshot bet paid off Hugely™, in short order the opposition turned to how he wasn't doing it right morphing to the current 'our outsider is better than yours' equally longshot bet
    Again. No. Nobody is telling you what you should want. You think DeSantis is an unknown quantity? That's your opinion. People will push back on opinions though. Doing so does not mean they expect anything of you. The only thing people should expect is respectful discourse.

Now about the accusation you've made, I'm gonna push back on that. DeSantis hasn't been on the national political stage, but neither was Trump. If being an unknown quantity as a candidate for POTUS disqualifies someone, then you should have dumped Trump before he started. But you didn't. Because you saw things you liked, and you hoped would pan out. And largely they did. You're pleased with what Trump did. And that's good. But that's you. Other people are just expressing their views too. And you can push back on that. But if you want to be respected, you'll need to post respectfully. People will have the same contempt for you that you show towards them.

And it basically still comes down to 'mean tweets
    No it doesn't. That's an overly simplistic explanation. It's not the tweets even. The problem with Trump is that his huge Ego undermines his potential for success. It's why he can't get anything done in Congress. He helps his opponents tear him down by feeding them bits of legitimate complaints that they can build into a paper mache monster. He is his own worst enemy. You don't have to agree with me. It's my opinion. See how that works?

And somehow getting pantsed by Disney is a virtue
    I think the Disney thing for DeSantis is a net loss.

And folding like a camp chair on the current pointless war is a virtue
    I think the whole camp chair thing is in your imagination.

And arguing already that the ability to serve two terms as president is a virtue without ever saying what you'll do with the first one
    It's not nothing.

That's your opinion; you're obviously entitled to it. So I'll offer mine. I'm not passing on anyone, including Trump. Which means that if DeSantis shows himself not to be any more capable than Trump, I'd switch. But I hope I don't have to because I don't believe Trump can fix anything. But he has shown the capacity to temporarily mend it. So he'd do if DeSantis don't pan out.

Reactions: KG1

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Says the deacon in the church of Ron
    More straw. I was a deacon in the church back in the day though. Not the one you've fabricated here. Heck. I even wore a suit!

I don't adore people especially politicians. I don't value fierce loyalty them. And I don't offer it. That's retarded.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So, nothing to back up the claim, yes?

Color me surprised
    This is epic. I mean in a sarcastic way. Usually when you dodge a post identifying something you said that was embarrassing, you usually come up with a more imaginative dodge than this one.

So. Go ahead. Find me the poll that shows Trump has wide appeal among all voters. Do tell me how Trump can recapture that Reaganesque appeal to the people to pressure on congress to get his way. I'll wait.

:popcorn:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    This is epic. I mean in a sarcastic way. Usually when you dodge a post identifying something you said that was embarrassing, you usually come up with a more imaginative dodge than this one.

So. Go ahead. Find me the poll that shows Trump has wide appeal among all voters. Do tell me how Trump can recapture that Reaganesque appeal to the people to pressure on congress to get his way. I'll wait.

:popcorn:
    Uhh, I wasn't the one claiming Trump only appealed to Trumpers. That's what I asked YOU to back up with cold, hard facts

As expected, you cannot and want me to prove your case. But I'll take a look

Edit: Since I forgot to hit post on the above, I can update it immediately. I just spent 20 minutes doing a little digging. I reasoned that the best indicator of a widening Trump appeal would be changes in his approval among 'independents,' who are usually polled
    separately, as I didn't think he needed to show he was converting Democrats to show electability

I can find recent information over time of Biden numbers with independents, and they are dropping like a stone. I cannot find similar recent information for Trump with independents, though, for comparison. and being able to compare deltas over the same period is necessary I think. Popularity and/or approval polls I don't think are focused enough to prove the point one way or the other

That dive, however, has me more convinced than ever that you will not be able to prove your Trump only appeals to Trumpers WAG and thus don't expect you to try

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom