• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benjamin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I went with a friend to the 1500 yesterday and when we came out his truck along with about seven other vehicles close to the truck had been broken into. Someone had gone through and punched out the keyholes to gain access the the vehicles. We got lucky because we didn't lose any firearms. One guy near buy claimed he lost a very nice Ruger. The was a cadillac esclade that had a window shattered and a GPS and laptop stolen. We filed police reports even though we only lost a $20 pair of binoculars.

I know it's a rough neighborhood but honestly when we paid $3 to park inside a gated area with security we expect our vehicles to be secure. My friend's insurance will cover the busted key hole but it's upsetting that they have poor security and it doesn't matter because they do not pay for the stolen items anyway. I'm very disappointed and may not attend the next show because of this incident. We told the police that they had better catch the thieves for their own sake because sooner or later a 1500 goer will catch them and lead is gonna fly. They agreed with us and said that it concerned them that shots might be fired if the activity continues.

smiley69_300

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Ripley County
    Thats messed up man. Some people are just idiots. Did they not even think that they were robbing cars at a gun show and someone could come by at anytime with a GUN? Hopefully they catch the criminals. Sorry to hear about that.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Yeah I was thinking pretty ballsy of them..

Hey look Margret, these 44 mag shells I just bought fit right into my.....hey is that someone breaking into our car?

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yeah, did you see the guys working the lot? My guess is an inside job. I am most definitely judging the book by its cover here, but if it looks like a thug, talks like a thug...

Benjamin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    It happened sometime between 2:30 and 3:45pm on Sunday. We parked a long way from the 1500 building and the police said they've been having lots of theft problems. They suggested we park in the other lot that is visible from the main road. We respectfully reminded them that we weren't given a choice of where to park but rather we were directed to the lot by the parking crew.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    What is the chance that the "security" if you can call it that was involved in the action. It wouldnt suprise me a bit in that area. The lot attendents probably make $8 hr and if they were given an opportunity would more that likely get in on the loot.:twocents:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Thats messed up man. Some people are just idiots. Did they not even think that they were robbing cars at a gun show and someone could come by at anytime with a GUN? Hopefully they catch the criminals. Sorry to hear about that.

Actually its kind of smart. How many people do you think left their guns in their car rather than take them into the show where they would be required to unload them? Sounds like someone went to the parking lot and broke into vehicles until they found a gun.

Benjamin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    My guess is they knew that the 1500 goers typically often drive trucks and SUVs so they targeted these vehicles in hopes of finding guns. Probably had a lookout person to make sure no one saw the break ins.

Cops did say that guns stolen there generally stay in the area (aka the ****ty neighborhoods around there) and are often recovered.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Hey now, that fella in the orange was my uncle. Seriously, I would guess that the perps did not know that there was a gun show going on. If there was anyone with balls that big they would have been spotted by satellite, or have their own reality show. I know what its like to have a vehicle broken into. It is terrible, sorry it had to happen, as to the perps.... I can't really say on here what I'd like to see happen to them..:xmad::ar15:

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    I would bet it was an inside job..

Sorry about your loose and the damage to the truck, but this thread is perfect as an example for some. I know a guy who instead of dealing with having to unload he was just going to secure it in the trunk. Hope he sees this thread.

csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    From what I heard this also happened on Sat. I was taking to the guy who lost his briefcase and was offering a $2000 reward for it's return no questions asked. He is a bail bondsman and I guess it has lots of vital paperwork and his gun.

Lesson learned empty car before I go, carry gun in with loaded mag in back pocket and a good knife to cut the strip off as soon as I hit the door.....

Benjamin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I also saw the brief case reward posters. If nothing else comes from this thread I at least want people to be careful and make sure they either secure their valuables in their vehicles or don't leave them in there. One of the great things about INgunowners is we can get this word out and help people in the future.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    From what I heard this also happened on Sat. I was taking to the guy who lost his briefcase and was offering a $2000 reward for it's return no questions asked. He is a bail bondsman and I guess it has lots of vital paperwork and his gun.

Lesson learned empty car before I go, carry gun in with loaded mag in back pocket and a good knife to cut the strip off as soon as I hit the door.....

Exactly what I did both days.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I'm sure the perps knew exactly what show it was. They probably parked their POS caprice or impala in that same immediate area. When Joe-Northsider rolled in, they gave him 5 minutes to go in. POP, in and out. Probably do all the cars in less than 10 minutes. Yes, I'm sure they didn't pay for parking either because they knew who was collecting the $3.

Benjamin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I would pay $5 for parking if that money went to additional security to keep my vehicle safe. Just a thought. That extra $2 from a few thousand people would go a long way.

Top Bottom