• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    You should also ask to see their WRITTEN permission from the landowner, which the DNR now requires of anyone hunting on someone else's land. It is my understanding that this is required now even for mushroom hunting.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    And it should be.

I've had two recent encounters on property adjacent to ours where people were mushroom hunting. Both times I asked to see their written permission, and both times was told they did not have it. I advised them they could either show it to me or the DNR, or they could leave and not return without it. I have not seen either vehicles there since, and they left without argument. It helps when they know people are keeping an eye on things.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My hat is off to those of you who own land and can handle these trespass situations in a civil manner. I'd get locked up for aggravated assault the first time I caught someone on my land.

Silly. You just need this and the problem goes away.

142186533.8EtTkgy4.jpg

And maybe some of this for good measure

quicklime-250x250.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Not too far off from what I feel is appropriate Cameramonkey. I know it's a very extreme position but we spend thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours managing our lease to provide us the best hunting opportunities we can. All it takes is one trespassing ******* to destroy what we've worked on. I place a very high value on that and the penalties are in no way, shape or form commensurate to the loss.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    A few years ago at the farm in White county, had a guy approach me while I was in my ground blind and tell me I was hunting on his property. I said, "This is your property?" and he said yes, you're on MY property! I told him he doesn't look like my brother in laws or my wife so he must be wrong. Then he kinda changed and said the property behind me was his. I then told him you don't look like my wife's cousins (who own the 300 acres behind hers). He then said that I was not the only MF that hunts here. I let the slide of my 92FS slam shut and said, "I am now" as I exited the blind. He ran to his truck and sped away. He had even put a tree stand on another guy's property overlooking ours. He was caught later that year by that land owner in the stand. That owner made him tear it down while he waited for the DNR to show up. He was later arrested for poaching in White county.
    He left me a really nice tripod stand in the back corner of the property. I was there last Saturday and seen someone has built a platform next to the tripod. Thanks for the free wood and tripod.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    I volunteer to be the clearing house to store all the mushroom hunting permission slips. Just submit a "copy" of the slip along with a good map to the sites and I will take care of the rest!!

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    A few years ago at the farm in White county, had a guy approach me while I was in my ground blind and tell me I was hunting on his property. I said, "This is your property?" and he said yes, you're on MY property! I told him he doesn't look like my brother in laws or my wife so he must be wrong. Then he kinda changed and said the property behind me was his. I then told him you don't look like my wife's cousins (who own the 300 acres behind hers). He then said that I was not the only MF that hunts here. I let the slide of my 92FS slam shut and said, "I am now" as I exited the blind. He ran to his truck and sped away. He had even put a tree stand on another guy's property overlooking ours. He was caught later that year by that land owner in the stand. That owner made him tear it down while he waited for the DNR to show up. He was later arrested for poaching in White county.
    He left me a really nice tripod stand in the back corner of the property. I was there last Saturday and seen someone has built a platform next to the tripod. Thanks for the free wood and tripod.

I have no tolerance for people trespassing. I had 61 acres is southern Indiana (Owensville, IN). I had people sneak in on me a few times. One guy lived in a mobile home across from the back side of my property. He somehow thought it entitled him to hunt there.

Bullet holes in a guys stand will leave a pretty good impression that he isn't wanted there.

Being nice rarely ever work to keep people out. Drag a guy out by his ear and the news travels pretty fast that you dont tolerate trespassers.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    I own a good patch of hunting ground and have given exactly 1 person permission to hunt there. Twice he's pulled on to the property and twice some busybody who lives 1000 feet away has defended my property by calling the police on him for trespassing. She's nuts.

I've got written permission on a small parcel to hunt. In early bow season I had a neighboring property owner drive down his lane, he does not live on his property but does have a few cattle, anyway he rolled down the window and yelled at me and said I better have permission to hunt there. I responded and said I do and nothing more came of it. I do carry the written permission with me but if he had walked out to my stand and asked I would have told him I had permission and if he wanted to verify that he could call a conservation officer out to check it out. And then when the conservation office arrived and verified my permission I would have ask the CO to inform the neighbor about the hunter harassment law. I didn't care much for him yelling from his truck while I was hunting.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Always remember to dig multiple holes of similar size and shape with your excavator. Just one hole looks . . . suspicious.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Always remember to dig multiple holes of similar size and shape with your excavator. Just one hole looks . . . suspicious.

When I win the lottery, I plan on buying a few "hobby sized" excavating machines. Like one of these: MachineryTrader.com | 2008 BOBCAT 430 For Sale

And on my acreage that I'll also purchase with my lottery money, I'll have an area where I can just go out and play and dig holes with my excavator. Why? Because I think it'll be fun. Dig holes - fill them back in. Dig more holes - fill them back in.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    When I win the lottery, I plan on buying a few "hobby sized" excavating machines. Like one of these: MachineryTrader.com | 2008 BOBCAT 430 For Sale

And on my acreage that I'll also purchase with my lottery money, I'll have an area where I can just go out and play and dig holes with my excavator. Why? Because I think it'll be fun. Dig holes - fill them back in. Dig more holes - fill them back in.

Well, chyeah!

We'd all do that if we have the money, opportunity, and time!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'd start a business hunting down trespassers and using my equipment to dig up their yards, dig under their foundations, dig up their septic system, etc.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'd start a business hunting down trespassers and using my equipment to dig up their yards, dig under their foundations, dig up their septic system, etc.

Ooh! I like it.

Will you limit it to digging? You could do some interesting things using the bucket as an impact tool.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Hmmm...I have a backhoe. I wonder if any of my neighbors need some excavating done while they are at work. I bet they do!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    A mom with a backhoe and the determination to use it is a formidable combination.

This is true. Hubby taught me to drive it long ago so I do get to play on it once in a while. He is a master on that thing, but that is what he did for a living so he makes it look way easier than I do.

Top Bottom