• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Sitting here on the day that my neighborhood puts out our trash.

Never ceases to amaze me the number of trucks that drive slowly by and look at all the refuse on the roadside. I've seen them stop, take my trash and throw it in their truck beds.

In their spare time are they also going to garage sales?
    Give them a badge and a gun and they can fight crime, too. :)

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have them in my neighborhood daily! I put a 25' piece of aluminum gutter out and you would have thought it was a winning lottery ticket when they found it.

It doesn't bother me to much because they are actually doing us a service by recycling our unwanted stuff and keeping it out of the dump.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Sitting here on the day that my neighborhood puts out our trash.

Never ceases to amaze me the number of trucks that drive slowly by and look at all the refuse on the roadside. I've seen them stop, take my trash and throw it in their truck beds.

In their spare time are they also going to garage sales?
    Give them a badge and a gun and they can fight crime, too. :)

whats wrong with going to garage sales? they are awesome!

twice a year we have "heavy trash day" and its like a circus around here with all the trucks pulling trailers filled with scrap. I set a bunch of stuff out during the last one,came in side for no more than 45min and when I went back outside it was all gone. guess it makes it easier on the trash guys who would of had to haul that heavy stuff off.

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    the only guy that goes up and down our street is only looking for cans and leaves everything else alone.no problems here as long as stuff dont get on the lawn.all important stuff goes up in smoke so no worries there either

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I am not judging either activity.
    But, if one is driving through neighborhoods, the next logical thing to do is stop and check out the garage sales.
    Nothing wrong with either activity.
    We have heavy day once a month here. That is when they REALLY come out.
    And I'm cool with it. Sorry, did not mean to give the wrong impression.
    I am just amazed at the steady stream of trucks today driving 'by' on my cul-de-sac.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    We got a new waste management company over the past year and we were issued new cans. I'm sitting at my office and I'm watching this lady drive around. She did so before but before, the recycle bins were these small green box type bins. She'd basically just pick that box up and dump it in her truck. She now pulls up to our house and starts taking all of the paper products out of the can so I got outside and confront her. I asked her why she was taking stuff out, etc. She told me that she was given permission by my husband to take the cans. I knew very well that she was lying to me because he is off to work before she arrives. I was very ticked off that she would lie to me though but on the other hand I figured she needed the money. The other problem I have is that she leaves her truck running the entire time she's doing this which kind of seems to defeat the purpose.

What I actually wanted to bring up though is this. What if they are digging through the garbage and get cut? Whose fault is it then? Seems to me that it would come back to being my fault and then I'd get sued.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    We have "trash fairies" in our neighborhood, too. We were putting something large/heavy (a piece of furniture, IIRC) out at the curb once, and my wife expressed reservations about whether the garbage men would take it. I said "it doesn't matter, it will be gone long before they show up." And I was right.

IndyParts

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Ktown Indiana
    We got a new waste management company over the past year and we were issued new cans. I'm sitting at my office and I'm watching this lady drive around. She did so before but before, the recycle bins were these small green box type bins. She'd basically just pick that box up and dump it in her truck. She now pulls up to our house and starts taking all of the paper products out of the can so I got outside and confront her. I asked her why she was taking stuff out, etc. She told me that she was given permission by my husband to take the cans. I knew very well that she was lying to me because he is off to work before she arrives. I was very ticked off that she would lie to me though but on the other hand I figured she needed the money. The other problem I have is that she leaves her truck running the entire time she's doing this which kind of seems to defeat the purpose.

What I actually wanted to bring up though is this. What if they are digging through the garbage and get cut? Whose fault is it then? Seems to me that it would come back to being my fault and then I'd get sued.

I don't see a problem with people picking up items that are sitting outside of your trash cans. To me, if they want to go through the effort of scrapping the item or fixing it and using it, more power to them. The problem that I have is when people start digging through my trash cans. That would **** me off.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Our local trash picker gets annoying sometimes. He's scattered trash around digging for "the good stuff". He once traded some inferior trash for my premium offerings. I was leaving for work, the morning coffee not yet having had its full effect, trying to remember if I had actually disposed of an entire flock of pink lawn flamingos, instead of, as best I could remember at the time, a worn out gas grill.

I've considered buying a new muffler to fit his ~1972 Chevy truck and leaving it by the curb, but I didn't trust that he would actually install it.

Bulgy74

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Just watch out for the guys who go as a team...

One truck of guys moves your lawn furniture and anything not bolted down to the side of the road- sort of "redecorating" your yard for you.

The next guy rolls up and "assumes" that the stuff at or near the curb is trash for the taking and is off with it!!!

Bulgy74

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Our local trash picker gets annoying sometimes. He's scattered trash around digging for "the good stuff". He once traded some inferior trash for my premium offerings. I was leaving for work, the morning coffee not yet having had its full effect, trying to remember if I had actually disposed of an entire flock of pink lawn flamingos, instead of, as best I could remember at the time, a worn out gas grill.

I've considered buying a new muffler to fit his ~1972 Chevy truck and leaving it by the curb, but I didn't trust that he would actually install it.

Holy crap that's funny! So he filled up his truck with junk, spotted your gas grill and realized it wouldn't ALL fit so he put the flamingos on your lawn with your trash? Sounds like those fatties that roll through the grocery store and grab the sale cookies in the first aisle. Then when they hit the real jackpot in the regular cookie aisle, they leave the sale ones there and grab the gooey chocolate chunk double fudge macadamia nut white chocolate toffee oatmeal raisin M&M cookies to scarf down on their way around the rest of the store...

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

This is a legitimate concern, I had a neighbor that had thrown away a broken mirror. The guy on the trash truck cut his hand digging through the trash can looking for treasures and sliced himself bad, blood everywhere!!! He sued my neighbor and won!! Who's for a one day open season on lawyers?:ar15: Anyway after that anytime I have BROKEN glass I put it in a seperate box, tape it shut and label it in large letters. Don't know if that will protect me from the ambulance chasers but I'm hoping a jury will think so if needed!!!

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Okay I was not griping in my original post. But I will GRIPE about this...

Since the city changed to contract trash company, our current trash truck 'paints' our street with the worst toxic waste sludge as it goes from house to house. My wife always takes the hose and cleans the street. It's what I would expect in Mexico or something. Really nasty.

What can be done?

I will try to take some video of it today to prove my point.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Im glad they do it! I often set out things from rental houses that I know for sure the trash man wont take and some one picks the stuff up every time. Thanks to them I save gas and fees at the dump. Leaving me more money for the things I want or my family needs.

Thanks trash pickers maybe they will find a PC and read this...lol

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    There was a TV show on a while back (might still be, I dunno) where a couple of guys would go scan neighborhoods for trash. They'd find a house with an old beat up desk or something, take it home, and refurbish it into something fabulous. Then they would return it to the original home, drop it on their porch, hide, and watch their reactions. It was kinda funny to watch people slowly recognize their old piece of junk turned into something cool.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    Mooresville
    You would be surprised what people throw away and now with the price of all metal and what not. You can make a great living just picking up trash. I know a lot of people that go around looking for cars roting in back yards and offer 50 bucks for them and haul them to the recycler and get some real money for them. If you have noticed as the months go by all metal on the stock exchange is just always going up.

Top Bottom