• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    It occurred to me that this topic has never been covered.Why spend all day hunting when you can set traps that will work for you 24 hours a day.This can be used for emergency survival and any type of SHTF scenario where fall out is not a concern.
    I can not possibly cover every type of trap.Having a small spool of wire makes most trap building much easier,so i recommend having some in stock.It does not cost very much and will make things easier on you.There are always store bought traps as well.Remember a trap can be as simple as a hole with some sharpened sticks in the bottom,wire snares,or a dead fall.Always use caution when approaching your own traps.The reasons are obvious,one you may have something in it you did not intend on catching(think snake,rabid raccoon ect..),and two you do not want to be a victim of your own trap.Also post SHTF if someone else finds your traps they may lay in wait for you so scout the area before approaching your traps.Some helpful trap links.
    Snares And Traps (very good illistrations)
    Survivalists Guide to Survival traps and snares
    Wilderness Survival: Food Procurement - Traps and Snares
    Survival Food - Part Five (fish traps)
    a two liter bottle with the lid cut off and turned inward tied back in place with some string would work for minnows.Toss in a few rocks for weight and a small amount of bait.Not that I would like eating minnows,but it would be very easy to make and check every few days.
    You would be very supprized how well a knife,a little wire and perhaps a nail or two could aid in your survival.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Used traps are for sale all the time and usually a lot cheaper than new. Just stock up when you run across some. Plain rat traps will put a lot of squirrels on the table.

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    I have a couple of connibears and legholds but need to find a place for buying snares. Four in the BOB wouldn't take up much room and don't weigh much. I also want to add two or three yo-yo reels to the bag too.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Cable is the way to go for snares. Animals of any size will break most plain wire by twising it up. Suggest getting a book on tripping/snares and stocking the proper materials to make your own. Or, you could stock a few dozen snares for not much money. Pre-made snares are fairly cheap.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    The Indiana State Trappers Association will be having their big get together Sept. 18 - 20 at the Putnam County fairgrounds near Greencastle. Not much goes on Sunday, so if you go try to make it there Saturday.
    It would be a good opportunity to buy supplies, talk to trappers, and watch some trap setting demonstrations.

For anybody in the Indy area there is Hoosier Trapper Supply in Greenwood. I don't have any contact info right now, but if you Google it you will have it. They are East of I-65 less than 3 miles from the interstate.
    They have a large selection of trapping equipment. I don't know their hours this time of year so I would call before I made the drive.

zimzum

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Chesterfield
    Just order some at "ProSnares.com Your Complete Source For Snares, Snaring & Trapping Supplies"

They are cheap per dozen. The hog snares may be strong enough for IN whitetail, which follow their trails so regularly that they would be an easier target. If not you can get gator snares that would be strong enough.

They're so cheap anyone can own several. Deer and rabbit would be the easiest to catch. Steel cable and cable clamps can be bought pretty cheap (3/32" cable for deer).
    I've heard of using a connibear #330 to trap deer.

Jed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2008
    I ran miles of trap lines here in Johnson county when I was younger... a farmer I worked for had a couple fur barns. We literally used 4 wheelers to run down fence rows checking snare after snare with some very good results. We didn't do much water trapping but some... its certainly an art that requires practice no matter how you do it.
    I recently came upon the best book I have ever read on the subject
    Title: Camp Life in the Woods and the Tricks of Trapping and Trap Making
    Author: William Hamilton Gibson
    Release Date: November 18, 2005 [EBook #17093]
    This book is a must read for anyone interested in traps. It has everything from the very simple traps you can make with a pocket knife... through the manufactured steel and wire snares..."WITH EXTENDED CHAPTERS ON THE TRAPPER'S ART, CONTAINING ALL THE "TRICKS" AND VALUABLE BAIT RECIPES OF THE PROFESSION; FULL DIRECTIONS FOR THE USE OF THE STEEL TRAP, AND FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OF TRAPS OF ALL KINDS; DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CAPTURE OF ALL FUR-BEARING ANIMALS; VALUABLE RECIPES FOR THE
    CURING AND TANNING OF FUR SKINS." Not to mention "COMPREHENSIVE HINTS ON CAMP SHELTER, LOG HUTS, BARK SHANTIES, WOODLAND BEDS AND BEDDING, BOAT AND CANOE BUILDING, AND VALUABLE SUGGESTIONS ON TRAPPERS' FOOD, ETC."
    In short this book covers just about everything you would need to know to use trapping in a survival situation... not just how to catch animals but what you can do with their meat and fur once you've caught them. Its 240 pages and is by far the most exhaustive single source book on the subject I have found to date.:popcorn:

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Trapping can be a lot of fun, its very practical, cost next to nothing once you make the initial purchase, no gun shots. :yesway:

Ive trapped a lot of rabbits, and a few coons. Good times.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    First of all, I'm NOT a trapper.... but I was thinking about snares the other day and it seemed to me that guitar strings would work very well for small game. A pkg of 6 is about $3 and come in 6 differnt gauges. You could (maybe?) use bass strings as well; they're even heavier gauge. Cheap and commonly available... Am I stupid?

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    You better believe that if I'm hungry I will be setting out some Victor rat traps baited with a little peanut butter. Mmm. Fried squirrels.

Top Bottom