• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I have a good ifak that goes with me most places (in the car, into the office) but if I go out somewhere on foot (e.g. walking to lunch), I usually just throw this TQ on my belt. I don't carry any other sort of kit so I have been putting a set of gloves under the time strap. Is this a huge faux pas? If its for use on someone else, I don't think it would be an issue but if it was for myself, could maybe get in the way?

IMG_20211108_121459.jpg

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I don't know if it would be a faux pas, but it's probably not needed. If you find yourself in a situation where you need to apply a tourniquet to yourself or someone else, I think the cleanliness of your hands will be the least of your worries.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I don't know if it would be a faux pa, but it's probably not needed. If you find yourself in a situation where you need to apply a tourniquet to yourself or someone else, I think the cleanliness of your hands will be the least of your worries.
    Gloves are not to keep your hands clean, it's to keep you from getting infected by somebody's blood (or other bodily fluids).

I carry gloves in the pocket of all my pants (on top of the ones I have in my ankle trauma kit, next to my CAT tourniquet).

The only problem with carrying gloves like the OP is showing is that it makes it harder to grab the velcro tap since it's flush with the plastic guard thingy.
    I like to keep 1cm of velcro over the windlass so I can easily grab it, without connecting it to the other side of the hook portion.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Gloves are not to keep your hands clean, it's to keep you from getting infected by somebody's blood (or other bodily fluids).

I carry gloves in the pocket of all my pants (on top of the ones I have in my ankle trauma kit, next to my CAT tourniquet).

The only problem with carrying gloves like the OP is showing is that it makes it harder to grab the velcro tap since it's flush with the plastic guard thingy.
    I like to keep 1cm of velcro over the windlass so I can easily grab it, without connecting it to the other side of the hook portion.
    Do you just roll them up and stuff them in your pocket?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Do you just roll them up and stuff them in your pocket?
    Just stuff them in the pocket.
    Sometimes in a small ziplock bag to keep them somewhat clean.
    I just put them all by themselves in a pocket (back pocket) so they don't get damaged by other objects such as keys.

I usually have 3 pairs on me, at the very least.
    2 in my ankle rig, one in pocket for fast access.

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    I think it's a pretty good idea especially for dealing with someone else ...might throw a set In mine and try using it and see if it manages to cause any issues , thanks

jbusyc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2018
    South of Indy
    The main this I see being a problem would be the gloves falling out if bumped just right with a jacket etc. On another note, nitrile gloves are pretty thin and are known to rip at the least opportune time. I could see the rough velcro rubbing a hole in them over time.

If your looking for a med kit you can just toss in your pocket, I would recommend the Phlster PEW kit. Its about the size of a wallet.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I keep a CPR face shield with a pair of gloves folded into the pouch. Convenient and I have less chance of damaging them. I don't like carrying a CAT around so I use this for EDC. I have a CAT 7 in every vehicle and various other places but like to keep it lightweight on my feet.

fbb9b13c2d1b51aa623a8545994c6df3.jpg

Last edited:

BLHelmer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2016
    Newburgh
    I keep them in my IFAK. I don’t usually have anything that could possibly interfere, but it’s probably not a big deal. ‍♂️

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Those gloves aren't going to protect anything riding in and out of your pocket. I'd suggest a small ziplock or something to store them in. Also, the heat likely isn't going to be their friend either.

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis

This, try to apply the tourniquet to your leg or arm with one hand and you will see how important it is to be able to grab that Velcro time stamp and pull it open.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Yeah, the gloves have already popped off once. I need to look into alternative solutions. I don't really like this on my belt. If i have an undershirt, the Velcro grabs at my over shirt and makes it ride up. If I put my undershirt over it, the Velcro irritates your skin. I tried rotating it 90 degrees but that was a no go. My shirt rides up even worse. I dropped the holster down on the clip and it seems better but now it hangs below my shirt. Maybe I need to look into those ankle kits but they look even more awkward.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Yeah, the gloves have already popped off once. I need to look into alternative solutions. I don't really like this on my belt. If i have an undershirt, the Velcro grabs at my over shirt and makes it ride up. If I put my undershirt over it, the Velcro irritates your skin. I tried rotating it 90 degrees but that was a no go. My shirt rides up even worse. I dropped the holster down on the clip and it seems better but now it hangs below my shirt. Maybe I need to look into those ankle kits but they look even more awkward.
    These are nice. Have 2 and use them occasionally. Mostly if I'm dressed up a bit and minus the almighty cargo pocket. I'm not a fan of ankle kits.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    These are nice. Have 2 and use them occasionally. Mostly if I'm dressed up a bit and minus the almighty cargo pocket. I'm not a fan of ankle kits.

Thank you, that looks perfect. I will pick one of those up and leave my current holster to range duty.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Maybe I need to look into those ankle kits but they look even more awkward.

I've been wearing my ankle since the last 4 years I think, every single day.
    It took me a while to find the right setup, but now I don't notice it.
    It depends what kind of model you get, what gear you have in it, type of pants etc.
    I wear it 12+hours a day at work (off duty too), nobody ever notices it's there and I get to carry quite a lot of med gear.

The items I keep in it:

CAT tourniquet (gen 7) with black sharpie marker
    Flat 4" compression bandage
    Compressed gauze
    Ziplock bag + flat folded duct tape (chest seal)
    A small pair of trauma shears
    Decompression needle (12ga NAR)+alcohol swab
    2 pairs of nitrile gloves
    1 compact keychain light

I'm never far from my EDC bag where I keep another trauma kit, with commercial chest seals, SWAT tourniquet and more stuff.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    YW. Snapped a pic of one on a course belt to give you a visual of size.
    ed1afafbd0a33c10b7b3b97c09435af0.jpg

Are you carrying the CAT as shown in the picture?

It's very difficult to apply under stress, and fast, if you need to first remove the velcro tab before you can turn the windlass.

It ads one extra step before you can stop the bleeding.
    Fumbling with that velcro tab, as you bleed out, could be the last thing you do in your life.

When you lose enough blood you lose fine motor skills, like finger tip dexterity.
    That happen under stress too if you need to apply it to someone else (even if you're not losing blood yourself).

It might be impossible for you to peel off that velcro tab with two fingers.
    And just as impossible with gloves on.

You want to have it as in the OP's picture.
    Or even better with a tiny bit of the tab sticking out to have more purchase.

You want to mess with that velcro tab once the tourniquet is applied, and the bleeding has stopped.
    It should be the last thing you do (even you even do it), not the first step.

Top Bottom