• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    Sorry for the double post. Working with a phone.

Anyway acu pattern is a bad idea. Bdus is a good idea, look for neutral colored ones known as TDUs.
    Also look into survival wire from surplus for trapping, and a rocketstove or similar. These condense your pack and leave more room and weight for bigger items like the suggested hatchet and rifle.

Shelter should be a couple ponchos and maybe an enclosed hammock like a hennesy or warbonnet simply because staying off ground is always good unless it is cold, which then a good fire and reflector fixes.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    In my opinion, if someone needs to ask what to put in a survival pack to survive in the woods, then they are putting the cart before the horse.

Surviving requires more than just being told what items to throw in a bag.

If you knew how to hunt, make fire, dress/prep animals, build shelters, etc you probably wouldn't be asking for advice on assembling a survival bag, you would already know what should be in it.

Kimber24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Thanks for your opinion Car Ramrod, but you could have done without voicing your opinion because it was completely unnecessary and absolutely not helpful with anything listed in this thread.

Kimber24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Thanks guys, I'll look into those types of water purification and the types of clothing.

Does anyone know where i can get small animal traps at?

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    i got some on amazon. They are the type that slam shut when steped on and come in many sizes. There are all kinda and noose one with cord work great. Watch some youtube videos on them and u will see the large amount and types.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Thanks for your opinion Car Ramrod, but you could have done without voicing your opinion because it was completely unnecessary and absolutely not helpful with anything listed in this thread.

That's the great thing about this country of ours, I am as free to voice my opinion as you are yours.

And yes, what I said was very helpful. Knowledge > things.

I will go along with the thread, but I have some questions for you, so we might be better able to give you direction.

What type of event are you planning for that would cause you to run away and live in the woods?
    How long do you expect or plan for this event to take place? (How long do you see yourself living in the woods?)
    The woods you are planning on running away to, how far are they from your home? Where you work?
    The bag you are trying to assemble, will you always have it with you so can run away to the woods at a moment's notice?
    What sort of experience do you have with surviving in the wild?
    How old are you?
    Have you ever hunted?
    Have you ever field dressed an animal?
    Have you ever made shelter in the wild?
    When was the last time you went camping?
    Do you know any knots?
    Do you know anything about edibles (or inedibles)?
    What kind of shape are you in?
    Are you prepared to run away and live in the woods, regardless of the season or weather? (Winter, blizzard, heavy rains, etc)

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I have been thinking about starting to look into a slingshot as well.. i may just do that, any particular brands over the next that would be better? so about winter/ summer boots. Also clothing, im not sure on what to wear or what to have. Do i want military ACU's? What would be good winter and summer clothes, socks? The appropriate layers for winter? Would anyone be willing to share your BOB or survival gear on here to help the masses out? I can post mine and everyone tell me what you think...
    It's been so long since I bought my wrist rockets that I don't remember any specific brands. I believe I bought one at Bass Pro, and another at Cabela's, but I imagine you can find them through Google. For clothing, I recommend normal wear, except that I would choose either wool or synthetics instead of cotton or denim outerwear, since cotton absorbs water rather easily and steals body heat. The only advantage to military clothing is that sometimes you can get surplus clothing more cheaply than cutting-edge civilian equivalents. Look at any big-box sporting goods store ads and you can get an idea of what layers are in vogue for winter wear under various circumstances. Of course, you need to take into account your particular needs. I once met a former Special Forces survival instructor who wore shorts outside in sub-zero temperatures; I, on the other hand, had four layers of clothing on and I was still cold. You need to find out what specifically works for you, but layering is a start. As far as looking for examples of BOBs and survival kits, I'm surprised you haven't noticed the sticky topic at the top of this forum. There is a selection of illustrated kits on those pages.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Car Ramrod, your point about knowledge being important is a good one, but possibly you might have made it in a less condescending manner. Everyone has to start somewhere; not everyone has WETSU's experience or yours - or even my limited experience. The OP is going to need to evaluate his own needs based on his experience - or lack thereof - and proceed from there. He's looking for a starting point; let's help him get started and not discourage him with what he may not know.

rcam1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    chillin in my hammoc
    if you are planning for cold conditions, i would recommend some wool clothing, and some wool socks rather cold or not, since they wick away sweat, REI is a good place to buy wool socks but they are not exactly cheap, about 12.00-20.00 a pair but are worth it, the last time i was there i bought 2 pair of their brand for $26.00.
    they also sale a nice selection of hiking boots. as far sleeping in cold temps i still recommend the hammock, i have slept down into the mid to high 20's with my hammock and under quilt top quilt and tarp, you just want to set it low and close up the ends, the lean to shelter with a good forest supply bed with a fire fairly close with a backwall to reflect the heat is a good option as well and will save room in your pack.

i was flipping through the channels on TV the other night and ran accross a show called "fat guys in the woods" see if you can find it, will help with shelter building and forestry supplied bedding ideas.
    as i think of different things think may be helpful ill try to remember to come back to this thread and post, but as others have mentioned different fire building skills are a must, and water purification. and as i mentioned in a previous post the sawyer squeeze is light weight and small and comes with a couple bags and will last darn near forever, they are good for something like a million gallons i think,

Kimber24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Well i certainly have a lot of catching up to do.
    First of all thank you for all of your input, I greatly appreciate it!
    Second of all I would like to thank blackhawk2001 for explaining the purpose of this thread, to gain insight on what knowledge others have and to absorb what you can. Also to CarRamrod for helping further my knowledge with your questions

So these wool socks are they not itchy i heard wool was itchy? I will try to catch that TV series, i work a lot so i will see what i can do..

I have read up to page 21 so far on that forum, reading a bit every night. I was hoping to get a fresh spin on things but i have been trying to keep up on the bob 101 as well.

Okay now for CarRamrod... In order as your questions run.
    1) I am planning for civil unrest (perfect example is Ferguson) or something like Red Dawn, where our power grid could go down and a second hand militia group would attack.
    2) The length of survival would be permanent or until things returned to normal, I live in literally the middle of the country woods all around and by many national parks or forests. I dont live by any huge bodies of water or at least within 30 miles or so. But my survival would be completely what i have on me or what i could scavenge. I plan on it just being me and MAYBE a few people less than 5. all with their own gear but i dont want to have to rely on them for anything. Also plan on building my own shelter.
    3) As i said in number 2 i live in the middle of the woods so withing 15 miles of home, only live 8 miles from work.
    4) The bag will remain at home and it will be accessible at any moment. (do not have a get home bag) figured one bag at a time to build is enough for now.
    5) Very little experience im building this bag to be able to go to the woods and try it out and learn first hand what to do, would like to go once a month or every other month and go for friday through sunday taking nothing but the bag
    6) 25
    7) limited but yes,
    8) limited but yes, only a hand full of times, will practice this when going camping, but i need to have pack first to be able to try it.
    9) No, nothing I have had to sleep in
    10) very long time ago LOL
    11) I know a few knots not an extensive amount
    12) No, i do not, i have been looking for a good book to study up on, Would LOVE to have any suggestions upon this...
    13) I am not a pro athlete, but i am fit, 6' 150 lbm
    14) ABSOLUTELY I am that is what my plan is is to be able to go at a moments notice and live there no matter what time of year it is. I just need to know what type of gear to have and looking for any and all suggestions!

Again, thank you all for participating in this and helping grow my knowledge of this.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    OP, Shibumiseeker isn't around much anymore, but if he were around, he'd suggest to you that preparing for "everyday" disasters is the best way to prepare for "the big one." By that he, and I agree with him, would mean that a tornado or a winter storm that knocks out power for a week or two in the summer or winter are more likely to bring about your doom than TEOTWAWKI. I think someone upthread exposed you to the "rule of threes." Basically, you can live about 3 minutes without air, about 3 days without water and about 3 weeks without food. In a survival situation, you're going to want to prioritize along those lines. I might add to those, "the average person can survival for about 36 hours without sufficient shelter" meaning sufficient clothing or shelter to ward off the effects of the weather on the unprotected human body. Strictly speaking, your SHTF weapon won't help you in the middle of a tornado or a blizzard, while that -30F sleeping bag won't be much protection against flying bullets if things go the other way - but the odds of you needing the sleeping bag (or its like) are much better than the odds of you needing that weapon. Prepare for normal emergencies and make sure you have those preparations down cold (so to speak) before you start working on upgrading your preps. As mentioned by CarRamrod, if you think you're going to spend time in the woods, you'd probably better start spending some time in the woods and learning what works and what doesn't. If you can do it with stuff you have on hand or stuff you can borrow from friends you'll get a better idea of your needs before you start spending your money on stuff that "looks good in the box," but maybe doesn't suit your exact needs. To decide what your needs are, you might try to think of your body as a machine: it needs fuel (food), lubrication (water), and to regulate the heat it produces. In any survival situation (and to preserve your life, in general) you need to take care of those three needs: food, water, and body heat regulation. Food is a variable, but the body needs around a gallon of water a day to stay healthy. Regulating body heat is generally a matter of properly insulating or cooling your body core - your thorax. Keep in mind that in your hindbrain, the body doesn't care how much blood goes to the head; it's going to protect the other vital organs: the heart, lungs, etc. So you need to understand how to keep the body from overheating in hot weather and from "overcooling" in cool/cold/wet weather. Sometimes you can regulate your body heat with the proper clothing and sometimes you need to supplement clothing with various types of shelter. Grab a military survival manual or a Boy Scout camping manual and read up on the various ways you can take care of your body before you get too wrapped up in learning how to hunt for food and prepare it. After you've figured out what you need to live in the bushes, start looking for ways to live with less "stuff"; remember, you're going to have to tote everything you "need" on your back. You'll no doubt do a fair amount of revision to your kit as time goes on and you find out what works for YOU and what doesn't. Don't feel too bad if something doesn't work out the way you thought it would, just learn from your mistakes and revise your plans accordingly. Lastly, while you're prepping, be aware of the general climate - know "which way the wind is blowing" - and decide what events are going to trigger any particular actions you need to take. Study hard and decide IN ADVANCE what it will take to make you activate your emergency plans so that you do not hesitate to execute them when/if the time comes. It will do you no good to be prepared to live in the bushes if you wait too long to try to get to those said bushes.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Reading the first 3 pages of this thread I found myself cringing, not because of the OP's questions, but every single commenter didn't point him to Skills First. I see a lot of you did, and thanks for that.

OP - don't take this as any criticism, because it is great that you are taking action to gain the skills you think you will need. You indicated in one post that you have suffiicient funding, so I will point you at Bruce "Buckshot" Hemming, who is in North Dakota. Check out his site and take some instruction from him on trapping and hunting if you can swing it. He is the real deal. This will be a reality check on how difficult it is to "live off the land" without a good base camp and supply system. You can also read accounts of highly skilled people living in much more wild areas that almost starved to death between successful hunts. Col Townsend Whelen's account of his trip to British Columbia on horseback is a good example, as well as modern Alskan homesteader Heimo Korth in the book "FINAL FRONTIERSMAN. And these were highly skilled people in large areas of wilderness.

The point is, it is in the DOING of a thing theat we cut through the bull to realize what is really possible, what we really need and if it is really what we want. The more you know through personal experience, the clearer your path will become. Good luck, have fun with it and get out there!

Kimber24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Thank you Blackhawk and DanO for your comments.

Yes I can certainly see where experience is everything, i am attempting to go out here this spring i dont think winter would be the best time to go for the first time. Thank you for pointing out Mr Hemming. I will strongly consider his DVD's and books! Like i said before ive been looking for a place to find animal traps/snares.

Is there any particular book or DVD that you two suggest that would contain valuable information on what to and how to survive/ live off the land?
    I have a few survival books but i didnt know if there were any particular ones out there that were better than the others??​

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    OP - Winter is a GREAT time, because hunting and trapping seasons are in !!! Bruce used to take on students. Shoot hime an email, he is very easy to talk to. If you are really serious about this, try to get going this winter on some hunting and trapping real life experience.

His Snaring videos are great, but realize he is talking about survival and you need to make sure you are observing state regulations if you practiice this stuff. He will give you real world advice on your traps and sets.

Also, consider reading the two sources I listed above. You can probably find them at your library. Eye opening.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Thank you Blackhawk and DanO for your comments.

Yes I can certainly see where experience is everything, i am attempting to go out here this spring i dont think winter would be the best time to go for the first time. Thank you for pointing out Mr Hemming. I will strongly consider his DVD's and books! Like i said before ive been looking for a place to find animal traps/snares.

Is there any particular book or DVD that you two suggest that would contain valuable information on what to and how to survive/ live off the land?
    I have a few survival books but i didnt know if there were any particular ones out there that were better than the others??​

I am sure you can find traps online(http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...ld-keywords=traps&sprefix=Traps,aps,244).That said I am going to say it.You do not have any need for them,I think you would be more likely to hurt yourself than successfully trap an animal.
    If you would like to actually get into trapping,here is the best place to start. DNR: Trapper Education Classes

Trapping,even for survival requires more than a hunk of metal with a spring.You need the skills to use the tool,and that is all a trap is.

For books I would start at the public library.Seriously your local library has probably at least 8-10+ books on the topic.I would not say the definitive book on surviving in the wilderness has been written,and you will find useful information in most of them.If you have no survival skills I would also think about getting a copy of an older boyscout manual,they have information on most things you are curious about.http://www.amazon.com/Official-Boy-...&qid=1417650988&sr=1-5&keywords=Boyscout+book this is one of the better manuals for boyscouts,before things like proper email construction where in them.

Winter is a great time to learn quite a bit,and in some ways is easier than summer.No bugs,less brush,and some tasks will be much simpler.Yes you have to dress properly,but winter itself should not be a reason to stay indoors,after all you are wanting to learn to survive year round in the wilderness.

This thread in general feels kind of trollish.
    "survival not BOB,Until society gets back to normal,lots of excess praise for information that is all over the web,way to much excitement for such a somber topic(Teotwawki),and absolute focus on getting specific answers.Also a member for 2 years,and your only posts are this thread?

I do not mean to sound harsh.The reality is surviving in the wilderness is not easy.There are a million useful things in the wilderness,but have no doubt without skills she will kill you no matter what gear you have.So sure I may sound harsh,but no where near as harsh as the reality of being in the wilderness without the skills you need to survive.Nature has more ways to kill you than you can pack gear for.Yes, gear improves your odds,but skills are the difference between life and death.

Last edited:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Don't mean to sound harsh either but you need to get your mindset right first.

Why is winter not a good time to try learning anything? And your concern with wool socks is that they are itchy?

Do yourself a favor, find a campground, throw a tarp, sleeping bag, fire kit etc in a pack and car camp in the next few weeks. Once you leave your vehicle dont open it unless you decide to bail. Focus on keeping warm, dry, and hydrated. Hike, and observe was potential food you see. Post up your AAR here.

This will be 100% more valuable than getting answers the questions you have posted.

YayGuns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 26, 2013
    Louisville / Camp Atterbury
    Winter is the one of the best times to learn. A steeper learning curve.

And seriously, you don't like wool socks? I hope you're not planning on walking any distances with a "survival bag" in cotton socks unless you have PLENTY of foot powder and moleskin. Or if you just really like getting blisters

rcam1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    chillin in my hammoc
    not sure if the op is still following this thread but just thought id add that i was out this weekend with a few friends in the Charles Deam wilderness for an over niter and it got down into the upper 20's and we all stayed nice and toasty, its all about preparation and experience, just a couple yrs ago i went on my firt hiking and camping trio and was way under prepared and it was a miserable weekend when it came to trying to stay warm at night and get any sleep at all was next to impossible, i actually woke up both nights numerous times uncontrollably shivering but it was a great learning experience,

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    Don't forget tooth brush, paste, and floss. You can watch a dozen "look at my BOB" videos on Youtube where guys have all the zombie-riffic gear available, but have no tooth brush.

Top Bottom