• Status
    Not open for further replies.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I was having a nice chat with a dealer friend of mine in another state. We were talking about customers and such and he had a hell of a story for me. He said he was transferring a Registered Lightning Link for a customer and when the F3 was approved and the other dealer sent the item, he sent it in an envelope. A single #10 envelope with a friggin stamp. No insurance, no tracking #, no nothing. I was like :n00b::dunno::xmad:. Just wanted to share...

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    n00b.gif

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    No offense, but I've heard this story one too many times...

More than likely it was true, and happened once, but not to him. It's VERY common for someone to insert themselves into a story instead of a third party. If they believe the story, they feel there's no harm in making it theirs in order to make a very unbelievable story more believable.

A girl I'm seeing has a friend who works in a hospital. Yes, you guessed it, the friend was there when some guy came in with a gerbil stuck in his butt. Yeah, they tried to use a match to get him out...

I Googled the story and showed her how it's happened in 3 or 4 states already. She was not too happy I busted her friend...

Just sayin'

;)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    A few months ago I sent a Ruger 10/22 that I had refinished back to my customer. USPS insured......it arrived. Box was torn open and the receiver/barrel was gone. They did honor the insurance which was suprising. I will NEVER use USPS for anything firearm related again. :noway:

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    If I can help it at all I will never send a gun USPS. I know that it is cheaper but I was shipping 2 guns which were properly marked and insured. The delivery person could not deliver them to the proper address so he/she dropped it off at the house next to the business. The crack head renter promptly sold them to the local dealer for crack. The ATF was able to recover them but I won’t ever send one of my guns that way. On another incident the postal carrier here in Indy delivered an MP5 (yes NFA gun) which again was marked properly and registered and insured to my very nice but convicted felon neighbor. He was nice enough to call me and let me know it was there and I picked it up unopened, but just think how that could have turned out.

Last week the nice supervisor said he would not release a package to my store because it said Attn "John" well no John works for me. When I told him that he said that was fine he would call the number on the box and deliver it to the person who answered. I have no Idea who the number on the box went to but it was not me and it was not John who ever that it. When I told the Postal Supervisor that the item was most likely a gun and could only be delivered to an employee of the shop, he called the Postal Inspectors. I can only assume by his actions that he was trying to have them arrest me (4 years ago I had a Postal Supervisor tell me he was having the Postal Inspectors come to arrest me when I reported the 2 guns delivered to the wrong address and then stolen) of the 10 or so postal employees that I have dealt with in the last 5 years most of them either believe that it is illegal for all persons to ship gins by the USPS or they believe that a gun must be disassembled prior to shipping. Neither of these is correct. I have a serious problem using any company to handle my guns or the guns of my customers that don't know their own rules.

Moral is USE UPS.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    I have recently had several Handguns shipped to me by Non-FFL's.
    Violation of Federal law but not my problem, most were not insured, just drop a $1000 firearm on the porch!

I ship Handguns By priority mail, Insured (I insist on it), which requires a signature.
    I use them to save my Customers Money.
    Longguns I ship FedEx Ground.

Last edited:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Karl, it is perfectly legal for a non-ffl holder to send a firearm to an ffl. (Just can't use USPS to do it.)

All that is required is the shipper to send his info, like a copy of their DL, along with the package.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Karl, it is perfectly legal for a non-ffl holder to send a firearm to an ffl. (Just can't use USPS to do it.)

All that is required is the shipper to send his info, like a copy of their DL, along with the package.

Sorry I wasn't clear.
    Handguns shipped to me by USPS by Non-FFL's.

Last edited:

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I believe half the problem is the person shipping

If I can help it at all I will never send a gun USPS..

I use the Fishers Post office for all my firearms shipments and have had every one get to the FFL on the other end with no problem. I ship using tracking and insure them which cost about $18 for an average handgun. I try to go to one of two guys at the PO as the other people do not have a clue and I heard all the "you can't ship a gun in here" to "is the gun taken apart; that is the regulations?" I was told that they get very few guns coming in for shipment so most clerks never get to do a gun shipment. I have had handguns left on my front porch a couple times coming from FFL's that do not request tracking; that is not the fault of the Post Office. I advised my mailman not to do it if he suspects there is a handgun in the box.

One thing I do not do is put the word gun on the shipping or return address; instead of Richards Guns I just use my name and same with the shipping address. Having to go to the main UPS to ship a gun is not convenient for me and I believe they charge more than the USPS. I get excellent incoming service from UPS and FedEx and every one of them need to be signed for by an adult.

Last edited:

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I've used USPS for shipping long guns for years and have been very happy with them. I've shipped handguns and ammo through UPS. Thee is a Fed Ex station very close to me, and I tried to ship some ammo once. I got the run around and was told I had to go to another location, actually still very close to me. I went there and got a line of BS about having to use a specific box and finally the woman told me, "I don't think you can even ship ammunition." I asked her if the thousands of rounds of ammo that were delivered to gun shops and folks' homes every day were delivered by fairies. She said she didn't have a clue. I agreed with her on that and promptly left. Went to UPS the next day and had the entire transaction completed in about five minutes with absolutely no trouble! That being said, I still like USPS for long guns. They are quick, cheap and close to me at home or work. I've got my C&R now and am curious how things will be delivered to my home. Might have to have a talk with the mail and UPS drivers!

Doug K

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    UPS and USPS are about the same cost for long gun shipping. USPS is cheaper for Handguns because UPS requires that is goes next day and with USPS you can ship priority. But I still avoid the postal service if I can.

For about $2 more UPS will pick up at your house or store. Sometimes it is even free. The postal service also will pick up at your house or store for free. I think it is cheaper for them to come pick it up them spend $4 of gas driving to drop it off.
    I due use the USPS flat rate boxes for shipping heavy small itmes like brass. I just wish they would let you ship ammo that way. It might cut the cost of ammo down 10%.

cox7215

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Kokomo, IN
    wow, I bought a graded certified Jordan rookie card and the guy done the same thing, sent in with a stamp and in a plain envelope......

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    >>>Originally Posted by Slow Hand
    I've used USPS ... She said she didn't have a clue. I agreed with her on that and promptly left. ... Doug K

If you read this edited post you would think Slow Hand was talking about a lady at the USPS while he was clearly discussing someone at Fed Ex. You wonder why USPS gets a bad rap. :dunno:

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    If you read this edited post you would think Slow Hand was talking about a lady at the USPS while he was clearly discussing someone at Fed Ex. You wonder why USPS gets a bad rap. :dunno:

No, I pretty much think they get it from their own actions.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom