• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BBQ GURU

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    North Side of Indy
    On my bucket list is shooting a full-auto Thompson. However...after losing my FA virginity recently, I'm changing up my bucket list a bit: owning a FA Tommy Gun seems like a fine idea.

What I know is, transferable Tommy Guns ain't cheap, but they also aren't getting cheaper I assume. I see Model 1921, 1928, West Allis, M1, Auto Ordnance, Colt, etc. Are some just more collectable than others? I wouldn't want one that was too good to shoot. What say you?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'd like one, too. One of my favorites to shoot. Start by saving up around $25,000. Add another $3,000 if you want a drum magazine.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    Colt made the first 15,000 Thompson's for Auto Ordnance. There are about 3000+ supposedly transferable in the US. That may be a little high. Many went over seas.
    Savage made many of the Thompson's for AOC during the WWII years. You will be able to tell this gun by the "S" in the serial number.
    Some of the guns are called "Bridgeport" guns. These were made by AOC in Bridgeport, Ct. during WWII.
    After WWII AOC was sold to Numrich Arms. Very few Numrich guns made and the ones you find will have a NAC before or after the serial number. many of these guns were left over parts. Many Colt parts, many WWII era parts. Some receivers were Colt made, without any stampings on them I have heard.
    NAC Sold out again in the early 70's and the company was again Auto Ordnance, located in West Hurley, New York. these guns are called "West Hurley Thompson's". If you find a early manufactured "WEST HURLEY", it will usually have a lot of military parts in it as mine did.
    Prices range from $20k to $50k for Colt guns.
    Prices on WWII era guns range from $12k to $20k. The 1928 style WWII guns brings the higher.
    The WEST HURLEY guns will range from $13k to $18K, depending on use, and what come with it.
    Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Pick up a WW2 version, origional 30 round mags are still around at a reasonable price and very reliable. Reload with cast lead to keep shooting costs down. These things are so solid that I think they will last forever shooting cast.:)

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    For shooter grade or first TSM would go with a USGI M1, unless you just had to have the option of shooting drums. Then for a few dollars more you can get a 1928A1 with limited finish and/or that has been refinished and going up in price from there ;-). Most of the guys with WH's shoot ok, but nearly everyone had to be "adjusted" and since PK (ace TSMG smith) is now back logged for many months/years that is a pain.

Would wander over to Machineboards.com - Thompson Submachine Gun Community Forum and check out the TSMG discussion board for a bit.

tsmg_right_on_white.jpg

BBQ GURU

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    North Side of Indy
    Great info, everyone. Thanks for all the replies. I will definitely check out the forums. I should have some time to kill saving up the necessary bux. :D

Curious about the "adjusted" comment RE: West Hurley guns - were they just not made like in the good ol' days, or was there some change in the design that was flawed?

Top Bottom