• ...and so much more!
  • G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    I have a Taurus in 44 spl.
    I cannot tell the difference in it and the S&W it was copied off of. I got colts, S&W, Ruger revolvers-the Taurus is equal to all in quality.. Zero issues, definitely a great pistol.

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Depends on model. I have one from the early days that I adore. I had to do a significant amount of tuning, but it's a good pistol now.
    I think I would have to agree with this! Had quite a few Taurus revolvers over the years, mainly from the late 80's early 90's...mod 85, 65, 441, 431...excellent revolvers for sure. The mod 431 is still one of my favorite all time revolvers for the money...2 of these in the hands of family to this day! Not that if money were no object, I wouldn't opt for another S&W 686, 625, etc. But money IS always a consideration, at least for me, but I'm not willing to sacrifice a certain level of quality for that price point. I think that is where Taurus fits in. So I would say go for it if you are saving enough money to also regularly feed it! A budget friendly Taurus that gets a fairly steady diet of lead, is better than a S&W starving in the back of the safe any day! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    all good advice, think I'll save for a Ruger!
    Can't beat a good, solid, Ruger GP100 for ruggedness, reliability, and accuracy!
    Plenty of grips available to fit different grip sizes...and a Tritium front sight makes all the difference in low / no light shooting!
    If you want a 'buttery-smooth' trigger, do a MCARBO trigger job on it and it'll be so smooth you'll be amazed for years!
    MCARBO: https://www.mcarbo.com/ruger-sp101-gp100.aspx

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Question is has Taurus went down hill since the 80's and 90's on their revolvers? My model 44 has held up for many years. She doesn't get all the attention she use to, but no dust builds up on her. I still get her out probably every other month to shoot. I probably only shot her about 300-600rds a year anymore. Sad being she was my go to gun for many years.

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    If you want a wheelgun made recently the options are limited. Taurus revolvers are good to go IMO. The S&W rep here said they are focused on semiauto offerings and with the current market they have not produced any revolvers whatsoever all year. None.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Ruger GP100 is the answer. Very solid design that will outlast you. A Taurus may or may not be good to go, but everyone knows what a robust workhorse the GP100 is. An American made revolver backed with top notch customer service.

I've got 2 GP100s, and despite not really being a revolver guy, I can't see myself ever selling them. Save money elsewhere. You get what you pay for.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Ruger GP100 is the answer. Very solid design that will outlast you. A Taurus may or may not be good to go, but everyone knows what a robust workhorse the GP100 is. An American made revolver backed with top notch customer service.

I've got 2 GP100s, and despite not really being a revolver guy, I can't see myself ever selling them. Save money elsewhere. You get what you pay for.
    My next revolver will be a Ruger or older S&W. I really like 38 special for target shooting. Definitely want a 3-4" barrel. May go with a 357. I'm also thinking about a Blackhawk in 45 colt. Or should I just get the 454 being as you can use 45colt in it also?

Altrex

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 10, 2021
    I've had several Taurus pistols over the years, both semi auto and revolvers. All of them have performed well for me. I am sure every manufacturer has a problematic gun from time to time.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Wow I ran across the receipt of my model 44. December 7, 1994. So this December 7th I'll have had her for 27 years. I knew it was close to 30 but a little off. She has never failed me once and I have well over 2,000rds through her.

I use to fill up old milk jugs with water put red food coloring in it, and use my truck hood as a rest and shoot the jugs at 100yds. I don't think I can see a jug at 100yds now without a scope lol.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My next revolver will be a Ruger or older S&W. I really like 38 special for target shooting. Definitely want a 3-4" barrel. May go with a 357. I'm also thinking about a Blackhawk in 45 colt. Or should I just get the 454 being as you can use 45colt in it also?

How much do you like recoil? If high-fiving a sledgehammer gets your loins stirring, get the .454 Casull. In a 4" Redhawk, hot .45 Colt loads are plenty for me. It's more like high fiving a framing hammer. I would suppose if I had a T-rex charging me I wouldn't be as inclined to notice it, but "Ruger Only" loads at the range aren't fun to me and a cylinder full is plenty.

Keep in mind any revolver that shoots two things shoots one or both of them worse because of it, especially if shot from the same cylinder. Sights can't be regulated for two different loads. One bullet will have to jump a wider gap before starting to be stabilized. Maintenance requirements will increase with the shorter cartridge creating carbon deposits that make the longer cartridge sticky. How much those things matter to you depend on what you intend to do and what you value. For *me*, I wouldn't bother with .454 until I got into longer barrel lengths, say 6" and up if I bothered with .454 at all.

Also, do you reload? When shooting the bigger bore revolver cartridges, return on investment is *very* quick due to the cost of commercial loads. It also lets you make those "Ruger Only" loads if you just need to shoot someone hiding behind your neighbor's refrigerator or feel like your palm hasn't been sufficiently punished by your other available options.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    How much do you like recoil? If high-fiving a sledgehammer gets your loins stirring, get the .454 Casull. In a 4" Redhawk, hot .45 Colt loads are plenty for me. It's more like high fiving a framing hammer. I would suppose if I had a T-rex charging me I wouldn't be as inclined to notice it, but "Ruger Only" loads at the range aren't fun to me and a cylinder full is plenty.

Keep in mind any revolver that shoots two things shoots one or both of them worse because of it, especially if shot from the same cylinder. Sights can't be regulated for two different loads. One bullet will have to jump a wider gap before starting to be stabilized. Maintenance requirements will increase with the shorter cartridge creating carbon deposits that make the longer cartridge sticky. How much those things matter to you depend on what you intend to do and what you value. For *me*, I wouldn't bother with .454 until I got into longer barrel lengths, say 6" and up if I bothered with .454 at all.

Also, do you reload? When shooting the bigger bore revolver cartridges, return on investment is *very* quick due to the cost of commercial loads. It also lets you make those "Ruger Only" loads if you just need to shoot someone hiding behind your neighbor's refrigerator or feel like your palm hasn't been sufficiently punished by your other available options.
    Thanks for your insight. My boy has a Ruger 45 Vaquero. It's a beautiful firearm shoots great. But the grips are to small for my hand. The main reason for wanting the 454 it's a Super Redhawk and has larger grips and I can shoot the 45colt with him. I do reload so I could actually make the hot 45colt for my Super Redhawk if I wanted to. The Super Redhawk 454 Casull I looked at has a 5" barrel. I probably won't be shooting the 454 much if st all. I'd be getting it mainly for the ability to shoot 45colt.

20200702_215520.jpg
    My son's Vaquero. I might buy one of these if there are larger aftermarket grips for them. Nothing rubber it has to be wood grips.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have shot plenty of Magnum Smiths and Rugers, all fine guns. The 1 Taurus revolver I've shot was a small .44 Special. Certainly a longer heavier trigger pull than I was used to.

If you intend to shoot and shoot regularly, I'd say the extra price for Ruger or Smith will be rewarded with many years of easier, more enjoyable shooting. However, there are folks who own a powerful revolver that sees less than 100 rounds a year. If that is your situation, it might be that a Taurus is a reasonable consideration.

After wrestling with it for years, I'm in the "buy once, cry once" camp. It stinks giving up your dollars, but I have never regretted it afterward, and have often regretted saving a few bucks in the short term only to mentally kick myself in the behind for years to come.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Thanks for your insight. My boy has a Ruger 45 Vaquero. It's a beautiful firearm shoots great. But the grips are to small for my hand. The main reason for wanting the 454 it's a Super Redhawk and has larger grips and I can shoot the 45colt with him. I do reload so I could actually make the hot 45colt for my Super Redhawk if I wanted to. The Super Redhawk 454 Casull I looked at has a 5" barrel.

So let me give you one more option to consider. If you aren't going to shoot .454 and aren't going to make Ruger Only loads (and you can get "+P" loads plenty hot without venturing into that territory) then consider the S&W N-frame Model 25. The "Classic" is still in production and if the keyhole doesn't offend you (it still offends me) is an option. Else you'll need to find a used one, and some years had oversized throats but if you reload that's not a real big deal.

I find the aesthetics of the N-frame much more pleasing than the Super Redhawk, which is a little too Buck Rogers-y for me with the barrel in a barrel look.

Or you can find a used classic Redhawk in .45 Colt, but they aren't in current production and would be my last option (despite having one...) The trigger will not be as good as the Super Redhawk or N-frame, though, and some have ignition reliability issues which will need addressed with a longer firing pin.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Thanks for your insight. My boy has a Ruger 45 Vaquero. It's a beautiful firearm shoots great. But the grips are to small for my hand. The main reason for wanting the 454 it's a Super Redhawk and has larger grips and I can shoot the 45colt with him. I do reload so I could actually make the hot 45colt for my Super Redhawk if I wanted to. The Super Redhawk 454 Casull I looked at has a 5" barrel. I probably won't be shooting the 454 much if st all. I'd be getting it mainly for the ability to shoot 45colt.

View attachment 157774
    My son's Vaquero. I might buy one of these if there are larger aftermarket grips for them. Nothing rubber it has to be wood grips.
    I have a Vaquero 45 Colt/ACP convertible. The grips were also too small for my hands. Bought some of these, and I am a happy camper.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have a Vaquero 45 Colt/ACP convertible. The grips were also too small for my hands. Bought some of these, and I am a happy camper.

Is this the same company that makes grips for the Super Blackhawk you told me about earlier?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Is this the same company that makes grips for the Super Blackhawk you told me about earlier?
    Now that I think about it, I believe I did. Don't mind me, I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast.

:)

I don't have a Blackhawk, only a Vaquero. But I really like the Texas Grips on the Vaquero.

Here's an older thread where I posted pics.

Top Bottom