• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Now there I was, alone, with an extremely deadly weapon in my hand that I had never held before, and didn't even know how to unload after firing 5 shots, which I think took me 15 minutes, because after that first shot, the decibels it produced was panic inducing.

I had the head gear and all, but it was still so damn loud. I've never been consciously aware of any gun phobias I might have had in the past, so I'm just kinda WTH??

Sounds like the hearing protection you were wearing was not doing it's job/ adjusted correctly?

Yes, the clerk did you no favors being a first-timer.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Chet,

I also would like to welcome you to INGO and to publicly thank every member who has posted back to this gentleman. I read a thread like this and I am very proud to be a member of a community like this.

Please, take advantage of some of the offers you've gotten in this thread. I will also echo the suggestion that you take advantage of an Appleseed shoot. You'll be on a range with scrupulous attention to safety, instructors who will take the time to help if you ask, and you'll learn how to hit a one inch target at 25 yards/meters. You may learn a few other things, too; things you've probably not been taught before.

I commend your desire to learn to shoot and even more your desire to come back after that harrowing experience.

Blessings,
    Bill

chet wisner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Evansville
    Guys, I really appreciate all the comments and encouragement. This site is, indeed, very helpful. :ingo:

I had several ideas about why the salesman didn't make himself available to me. I thought perhaps he didn't think I would buy from him that day, and I really wasn't prepared to do so, so why waste his time with me? Also, I'm sure he was busy with other work, though I was the only customer he had at that time. But, also, maybe he thought he'd be safer if he wasn't with me :D

Anyway, I don't think I'd be interested in going back there, unless I have to, which may be the case, because transportation out of state would be difficult for me.

I do appreciate the replies, and plan to contact some of the locals who've replied. It's encouraging to hear from others who've experienced similar fears.

Greg B, watch your PMs :)

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I didn't want to jump in earlier with another me-too reply. However, your last post in this thread brings up a couple of new points.

-Definitely don't patronize that shop again. They apparently don't care enough to keep their customers safe and/or give them good direction. You need training early on more than sales.

-You mentioned transport out of state. That is another whole ball-o-wax. The LTCH is good for Indiana and some other states, but not all other states allow it for carry. Since you are in Evansville, Kentucky does allow the Indiana LTCH. Look up "reciprocity" for discussions and pointers as to which other states allow carry using Indiana's LTCH. Also, be aware that you have to respect the other states law when you carry there. And some of them are much more arcane than Indiana.

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I do appreciate the replies, and plan to contact some of the locals who've replied. It's encouraging to hear from others who've experienced similar fears.

Greg B, watch your PMs :)

Greg is a great guy and comes across as very knowledgeable. He seems to have a lot of experience as an instructor as well.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Hey, I'm an analyst by trade. If I can not quantify it from three independent sources, graphically analyze it and account for any outliers, "seems", "appears" and "may be" will be the words of the day!

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Chet,
    I'm sorry that happened to you. I know the owners of the store and am shocked. Greg and Snorko are good guys. Let me know if you guys need any extra help. I would be happy to meet up somewhere to help out.

jmemmert

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    I still remember my first time with a handgun. For some reason, they were voodoo to me. I was as comfortable as could be with long guns, but the sight of a handgun made me nervous (my friends brother was accidentally shot while using one when I was 6 or 7). Anyways, when I got married, my wife and I found a need to have personal protection. I being the man of the house could'nt show my fear, so we bought an xd-9. needless to say, the first few rounds had me all shaky. But now... I can't keep my hands off a handgun, they just fit together so well.

lacroixdp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What he did to you was absolutely awful. When I encounter someone at the range that hasn't used a firearm before, I try my damndest to talk them into postponing their practice and instead enroll in a firearm safety class first. Would you hop onto a bulldozer without at least some basic training? They are both tools, and both can be deadly if you are not properly educated on their usage.

Take a firearm safety course and first become comfortable with the concept of proper firearm usage. Afterwards, you'll better be able to enjoy your time at the range. Knowing a device makes you confident in your usage of it.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    ...snip

Anyone have similar fears, phobias their first time?

PS) any thoughts about the salesman having left me there alone, considering I was a noob? He didn't even walk me through any basics.

Yeah, lots of folks do. The noise and movement of the gun are extremely startling to many new shooters. No, I do not think you should have been left alone.

If you wish to pursue shooting as a sport or for self defense, and I hope you do, I urge you to get some training. Professional training is best, but not a necessity. Many shooters can teach you the basics of safetly and how to hit the target, and ease you into shooting properly. It really is a lot of fun, and it won't take long till the noise is actually part of the fun :)

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I know how you feel Chet, I have done a lot of shooting over my years. Handguns, rifles, shotguns, back powder.... I sold everything about 30 years ago to appease the wife. Against her wishes, I just recently re-entered the world of firearms in the last few months. Anyway, All of shooting time was at friends who had makeshift set-ups "behind the barn" and at a local shooting club I would visit not-so-often.

I have an nice indoor range about 20 miles from my house but I am scared to go there. I was even given a free pass to go there and never used it. #1, Have never been to an indoor range. #2, paranoid that I will do something terribly wrong. #3, fear of the unknown I guess.

Hats off to you Chet. At least you had the guts do do it! I've had lots of shooting experience over the years but I still can't get up the nerve to go.

birdhunter55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Clarksburg, Indiana
    to own or not to own

Chet,

First off, welcome to the group. I have read and reread this thread a couple of times, and would like to remind everyone that there are 2 sides to every story.

Now, I have no afflliations with the shop or salesman you are referring to, nor was I there to hear the entire conversation. That said, what I read in your original post was that you indicated to the salesman that you were a new shooter. Nowhere did I read that you told him you had never handled or shot a firearm before. That said, the salesman could have assumed that you would be more nervous with him standing over your shoulder while in the range. Unless you specifically requested his assistance in the operation of the firearm in question, I think you and others replying to this thread are giving this person and the shop he works for a bad rap that they may not deserve.

It sounds like you have had offers of others in your area to hook up and give you some training on the handling of firearms. I would recommend you take them up on that and once more familiar then revisit the store before writing them off for good.

Rshelbu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Chet,

First off, welcome to the group. I have read and reread this thread a couple of times, and would like to remind everyone that there are 2 sides to every story.

Now, I have no afflliations with the shop or salesman you are referring to, nor was I there to hear the entire conversation. That said, what I read in your original post was that you indicated to the salesman that you were a new shooter. Nowhere did I read that you told him you had never handled or shot a firearm before. That said, the salesman could have assumed that you would be more nervous with him standing over your shoulder while in the range. Unless you specifically requested his assistance in the operation of the firearm in question, I think you and others replying to this thread are giving this person and the shop he works for a bad rap that they may not deserve.

It sounds like you have had offers of others in your area to hook up and give you some training on the handling of firearms. I would recommend you take them up on that and once more familiar then revisit the store before writing them off for good.

If I worked at a gunshop that had an indoor range and someone came in wanting to shoot after telling me they were a new shooter, I would be asking some questions. Heck when I purchased my motorcycle they were required to go over the bike with me, showing me how to stop and start it.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Chet,

I would definitely recommend an outdoor range for your next experience. I went to an indoor range for the first time just a couple days ago. While it was nice to be able to shoot closer than at my local outdoor range and get a better feel of how accurate I really can be with my carry, it was SOOOO LOUD, that I found myself a little rattled, too. I had brass raining down over me (and hot brass in the shirt is NOT fun), and the guy on the other side was shooting a .45 that sounded like a canon in there. After my .22 failed to feed, I decided to not even bother with it and left after only putting 4 mags through my carry.

Moral of the story - outdoor ranges just feel more comfortable to me. I can step off the line and ask a question, there's just more room to move so less brass being tossed at you (although I'm guessing you wouldn't have to deal with brass down the shirt as much ;)), and way less loud. And since you probably haven't paid for time, you can take your time and really not worry about the clock at all until the range master tells you it's almost time to close up. So good luck, and I hope your next range experience is much better than the first!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I agree salesman or not, you do not hand someone unfamiliar with guns a gun and a box of ammo and tell them to go at it. Without first showing them safety, and how the gun functions. Then staying right with them to help them. I mean you would not hand your 16 year old child keys, and say take my car for a spin around the block without explaining things and being in the car with him/her. People like that hurt the names of good law abiding gun owners.

Rshelbu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    I agree salesman or not, you do not hand someone unfamiliar with guns a gun and a box of ammo and tell them to go at it. Without first showing them safety, and how the gun functions. Then staying right with them to help them. I mean you would not hand your 16 year old child keys, and say take my car for a spin around the block without explaining things and being in the car with him/her. People like that hurt the names of good law abiding gun owners.

Wouldn't a gunshop be liable if someone unfamiliar with a gun accidently shot someone at a range. I would think so especially if the gun shop supplied the gun. I think I would stay away from this shop just for that reason.......R

Top Bottom