• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    My battery cover separated into two pieces after a short drop to the floor. Looking at it, i thought it was a bad design but now I'm wondering if it is a fake. Don't recall where I bought it. Optics planet maybe? What say you?

Attachments

• IMG_20230725_181631.jpg
      IMG_20230725_181631.jpg
      202.8 KB · Views: 29
    • IMG_20230725_181652.jpg
      IMG_20230725_181652.jpg
      219.6 KB · Views: 29

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My battery cover separated into two pieces after a short drop to the floor. Looking at it, i thought it was a bad design but now I'm wondering if it is a fake. Don't recall where I bought it. Optics planet maybe? What say you?

If it's streamlight, I think they'll replace it.
    I had a helmet mounted one for my work hard hat.
    The switch broke one day, I called them up.
    I think I shipped it to them and they sent one back.
    But it was a few years ago.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Judging from your pic, I don't think it's fake. I think it's definitely broken, for real.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Have you looked to see if they have any info on their site to assist in determining if it is fake? Some companies do…

djay7677

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 29, 2022
    Mishawaka IN
    I've seen a fake one. It had a glossy font and the hex screw had a very thin frame. Yours doesn't appear to have either of these issues so I would venture to say it's legit. Streamlight is a good company and hopefully they make things right. You have a serial number on it so I'm sure they can verify that way.

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NE of Indy
    Looks legit to me by the finish. They worked with me a couple years ago on a pressure switch that was acting like a dimmer switch. Similarly to actaeon277 I shipped the bad one and they shipped me a new replacement.
    I’ve also worn out an old TLR-1S switch and bought a replacement online pretty cheap, although I don’t recall where I got it from…

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    My port door cracked around the little silver rod that holds it on. I think the factory replacement part was $20 online. It was worth the cost to buy it as to shipping it back and waiting

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    My port door cracked around the little silver rod that holds it on. I think the factory replacement part was $20 online. It was worth the cost to buy it as to shipping it back and waiting

I found some online for around the $20 mark. I may just do that depending on how the call with them goes.

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    I bought one from a reputable dealer and had the same issue. I sent a picture to Streamlights customer service and they sent me a replacement tail cap for free, no hassle.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    If you bought it from OpticsPlanet, I sincerely doubt it's fake. No reputable or large site would take the chance with fake products. Now if it was eBay or a flea market, that's another story.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Like others have said, I have had good luck with Strealight customer service.

Broke the tailcap switch on my work flashlight. Called and they mailed one out right away. That experience is what made me buy more Streamlight when I needed something.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I've had several interactions with Streamlight's customer service, and they've always been great, so good on them.

Regarding the TLR-1s, I bought two off a reputable dealer on Amazon a few years ago. Six months later I get an email from Amazon stating that the units I bought MAY have been fake, and they completely refunded the purchase.

I've put them side by side from ones I bought from Lipsey's and they look identical. Maybe the seller got a bad batch and got busted but I can't tell the difference. Most importantly, years later they still work just fine.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    My only concern now is the ruggedness of the Streamlight vs. the surefire. I kind of settled on the TLRs for my WMLs but this isn't super confidence inducing. I was switching the light from one gun to another and dropped it about 3 feet onto the carpet when it disassembled itself.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    My only concern now is the ruggedness of the Streamlight vs. the surefire. I kind of settled on the TLRs for my WMLs but this isn't super confidence inducing. I was switching the light from one gun to another and dropped it about 3 feet onto the carpet when it disassembled itself.
    I wouldn't worry about it. Probably a fluke. If it's real Streamlight, it's good to go.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

The door is a weak point, but I still think the light is pretty solid for the price. I have some Surefire 300s and I don't think they are worth the extra money.

Top Bottom