• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I love having keypad electronic locks. I never have to carry a house key or worry about getting locked out.

View attachment 276879
    I’ve thought about getting one of these for our busiest entry. How do you handle the separate locks in the door knob and the dead bolt? I know my wife would want to keep both locked.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    If they are feeling froggy they should come out to the farm. They probably wouldn’t get out of the car. Assuming they tried the house thing…….. I have two German shepherds that wouldn’t understand tictok or whatever it’s called.

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    Looks like a good way to get shot...oh, wait it's the UK I meant stabbed...oh wait uhhh...yelled at in a funny accent?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I’ve thought about getting one of these for our busiest entry. How do you handle the separate locks in the door knob and the dead bolt? I know my wife would want to keep both locked.
    You don't. They're dead bolt only. No need for a lock on the knob. Those don't add any strength or protection above and beyond the deadbolt anyway.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My parents only locked if they left.

I had to show them reports of break ins of occupied houses in the surrounding areas.
    They lock up now.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Last summer, we had neighbor kids in our yard. My wife opened the door and told them she didn't mind, but please let her know when they're coming over. They said okay.

A few minutes later, their mom comes over and starts cussing and informing my wife that she better not talk to her kids again. My wife said fine, tell your kids to stay off my property, and, go ahead and get the **** off my property.
    Big Reds neighborhood?
    Sounds like he's married to Big Red's sister

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Last summer, we had neighbor kids in our yard. My wife opened the door and told them she didn't mind, but please let her know when they're coming over. They said okay.

A few minutes later, their mom comes over and starts cussing and informing my wife that she better not talk to her kids again. My wife said fine, tell your kids to stay off my property, and, go ahead and get the **** off my property.
    Some neighbors suck.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    When I was a kid, we just rang the bell and ran away. We didn't even need social media challenges to be stupid. Heck, sometimes we'd be stupid uphill both ways. But never did it cross our minds to walk in to a stranger's house.

Reactions: Leo

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I ask that every time I see a next door post about people walking into homes.

You gotta be an idiot to not keep the doors locked these days.

And yes, they are entitled. I’ve got a group of neighbor kids that hang out in my yard and drive. I’ve got a basketball goal and let them play with it. It’s a nice safe spot to hang where they aren’t in the road.

Several times they have rang my doorbell and asked for bottled water. Unfortunately we don’t buy bottles, and I don’t keep disposable cups so I have to tell them no. How about going home for a drink? Hell, one time it was the girl that lives across the street! Go home and get your own! It’s only an extra 25 steps to your front door, kid.
    Those kids never experienced the sweet lead flavored goodness that is garden hose water?

Reactions: Leo

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I guess I am an idiot. I don't lock our doors unless we are leaving for some reason. I am not going to lock my door each and every time I walk out of my house and go to my shop or barn or work around our small farm. Heck, I don't even carry keys when out working. Keys hang in the yard/farm truck but you have to know where the battery disconnect is. Wife used to think I was paranoid because I have a gun in each room In a specific location I can reach easily. The other night she asked for a "special" place for one of her handguns from her chair in the living room. We also have a great dog at this time.
    My now departed Father in law lived on what used to be his family farm. He was a good man. Even when he left to spend the winter in Florida, they locked the front door, but left the kitchen door unlocked in case "the widow to the west needed anything". He left the keys in his pickup "because the neighbor man to the east borrows it to pick up feed"

One year he came home and someone had kicked the back door open, causing a lot of damage, to steal a TV set and a few other things. There were rifles and a shotgun on an open rack in the hallway, they were not touched. The door was not even locked, and the lock was still unlocked hanging on what was left of the door. It cost more to have a carpenter fit a new door than to replace the the TV.

The days of universal trust in your community are gone.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom