• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Advantage is one we use and you can get a spray for dogs that has a citrus smell/base at farm stores that works well and I spray it around the doors to keep skeeters away .. it seems to help
    Good to know thanks!

For skeeters and pest control in our yard and around the foundation, I have found that Bifen IT is fantastic. We are surrounded by woods and creek, and they are thick. Every early summer I will make sure the gutters are clean and spray our property so we can sit outdoors and not be bothered.

It kills them on contact and then all those killed cannot reproduce. Very effective. Did I mention I hate skeeters?

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Good to know thanks!

For skeeters and pest control in our yard and around the foundation, I have found that Bifen IT is fantastic. We are surrounded by woods and creek, and they are thick. Every early summer I will make sure the gutters are clean and spray our property so we can sit outdoors and not be bothered.

It kills them on contact and then all those killed cannot reproduce. Very effective. Did I mention I hate skeeters?
    We have a small pond and I put in mosquito torpedoes. It’s an enzyme that won’t let them form into mosquitoes.. they pop
    Won’t hurt other animals or aquatic life.
    There is a few brands of it but the mosquito torpedoes have worked the best I slit a milk jug and throw it in the water attached to kite string so it floats and disperses it onto of the water. With a pond and woods it has worked effectively and it’s around 20$ a package, the package of 6 last around 2 months

HK Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I got bit a few months ago on my inner thigh. After a couple of days it go black and funky, but no bullseye type rash. Coworkers and wife said I needed to go see the Dr. Dr said the course of treatment for a tick bite is 11 days of antibiotics and the treatment for Lyme is 21 days. He said if you are doing 11, you might as well do the 21, as Lyme is not to be fooled with. The antibiotics were rough on my innards but I'm good to go.

I found 2 on me 2 weeks ago just from being in the yard. Yesterday I found 1 on me just from walking the dog around the house.

It's on now. I ordered permethrin to soak my outdoor cloths and some 40% deet bug spray. I'm going to treat the yard with some tick killing granules this weekend.

Worst year for them that I've seen.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Treated my yard,and trees 2 days ago. I am not dealing with a yard full of ticks. I enjoy being outside to much.
    I do treat every year,so far it has worked well. Now if I could just end every moles existance life would be wonderful.

Last edited:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I changed the bed sheets yesterday so I could wash them, and found one tick crawling that the cat apparently brought in. First one I've seen but Lily and I had a chat about her napping in the woods.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    My wife showed me one she had on her Friday night. I had just gone to bed. Didn't sleep a wink imaging ticks on me. I itched everywhere thinking something was crawling on me.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I gave up turkey hunting down south.
    Never had a problem as I used Permethrin. And Off on skin.
    Buddy got Lymes from same area.

Not worth it.

I wont even toss a dead tom over my shoulder, man those things loaded w ticks.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Was out by Harlan Friday and Saturday. Wife had one Friday night and there was one crawling on my daughter Saturday. We weren't even near any brush. Just on gravel. We'll see what it's like up north in a couple weeks. Going to treat the yard up there.

VostocK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    When I was a kid I'd rarely wear more than shorts and sneakers, and got very few ticks, like 3-5 all summer. Now usually its long pants, shirt, and boots, and get lots, can hardly walk outside without picking up a couple.
    I've noticed this as well. When I was a kid it was more common to pick up leaches while swimming in the creek than it was to get a tick while out romping through the woods all day. Back then when dogs would pick up an occasional tick, people would use a cigarette to try to entice the tick to release from the skin.

I don't know what changed, but something did. :oldwise:

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Wife and I both have had run ins with the ticks this year. seems like a lot of people around here are getting into them

LongRangeBushy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Wabash County
    Our beagle had 3 or 4 a day from walking in our woods for a week or so (southern wabash county) some were dead from her medicine and some weren’t attached yet. Last week or so with the frost and rain and maybe not walking 2 miles a day lately they have appeared to slow down. maybe just lucky…

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I've noticed this as well. When I was a kid it was more common to pick up leaches while swimming in the creek than it was to get a tick while out romping through the woods all day. Back then when dogs would pick up an occasional tick, people would use a cigarette to try to entice the tick to release from the skin.

I don't know what changed, but something did. :oldwise:
    Maybe we were just faster back then and the ticks didn't have time to jump on?

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Just got my dog to the vet he LOVES being outside so after the 3rd tick decided it’s time for some questionable medications.

TLF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    They are thick this spring. I had one tonight and one night before last after working outside. Wet spring equals ticks and then mosquitos

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    Ticks, mosquitoes and other insects are bound to be a greater than normal problem this year. We just didn’t have the cold temperatures on an extended basis required to thin them out.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    About a week ago I found. attached to me, the smallest tick that I have ever seen. She was attached tor less than one hour, but the itchy welt she left was quarter sized and it is driving me crazy. Luckily I have some ”chiggerex” and it is helping

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom