• redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    The Thunderbirds are the Air Demonstration Squadron of the U.S. Air Force
    United States Air Force

The United States Air Force is the aerial warfare branch of the Military of the United States and one of the uniformed services of the United States....
    , based at Nellis AFB
    Nellis Air Force Base

Nellis Air Force Base is a United States Air Force base located in Clark County, Nevada, Nevada. It is seven nautical miles northeast of the central business district of Las Vegas, Nevada....
    in Las Vegas, Nevada
    Las Vegas, Nevada

Las Vegas is the most populous city in the U.S. state of Nevada, the seat of Clark County, Nevada, and an internationally renowned major resort city for gambling, shopping, and entertainment....
    . The squadron tours the U.S. and much of the world, performing aerobatic formation and solo flying in specially-marked USAF jet aircraft.

Officers serve a two-year assignment with the squadron, while enlisted personnel serve three to four. Replacements must be trained for about half of the team each year, providing a constant mix of experience.

The squadron performs no more than 88 air demonstrations each year and has never canceled a demonstration due to maintenance difficulty. In addition to their air demonstration responsibilities, the Thunderbirds are part of the USAF combat force and a component of the 57th Wing
    57th Wing

The 57th Wing is a wing of the United States Air Force based out of Nellis Air Force Base, Las Vegas, Nevada, Nevada....
    . If required, the team's personnel and aircraft can be rapidly integrated into a fighter unit at Nellis AFB
    Nellis Air Force Base

Nellis Air Force Base is a United States Air Force base located in Clark County, Nevada, Nevada. It is seven nautical miles northeast of the central business district of Las Vegas, Nevada....
    The Thunderbirds have performed at over 4,000 airshows worldwide, accumulating millions of miles in hundreds of different airframes over the course of their 54+ years of service.

Flying high performance fighter jets is inherently dangerous; when flying in extremely close formation the danger is compounded. The team has suffered two fatal crashes during air shows.

When on tour the pilots have to be "lights out" by 8pm and no ETOH at all period.
    There is an email floating around with the disipline difference btwn the two. Hands down the thunderbirds.

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    Being a Air Force veteran I love the Thunderbirds, but I have to give the nod to the Blue Angels. Now, if the Air Force would use the F-22 instead of the F-16 I might just change my mind.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Jeff: I heard the f-22 did not get approved for funding. The Joint Strike Fighter was selected. I wasn't too happy with that decision....but..???

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    To be politically correct and not offend our nieghbors to the north, I should also include the Canadian Snow Birds. (And, no, I'm not kidding... they do exist although they have no mountings for weapons and are therefore just plain ol' jets. On second thought, remove the Snow Birds from the list. Let's just keep it to real aviators.:p)

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    VN Vet: I think the enemy has already voted.
    Remember the first Gulf War?.... Iraq quickly sent all it's air force to Iran for protection (Cowards)
    The really funny part of the story is that Iran would NOT return the jets after the conflict!!!:laugh:

JR50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Significantly North of Rt. 30
    Blue Angles because I'm biased.
    I saw them up very close -- great airshow in Traverse City a few years ago.
    Never saw the Thunderbirds even though they were close by in Gary last year.
    The city of Gary is having an airshow this July 11 & 12. No Blue Angles, no Thunderbirds, no Snowbirds.
    They will have one of the coolest oldie planes the A-10 Warthog!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I've seen both teams perform on several occasions. To my relatively untrained eye, the Blues run tighter, more solid formations, and their F/A-18s are louder, more visually impressive, and easier to track through the maneuvers due to their size and dark color. I don't care about the differences in discipline or who is more "combat ready" or whatever; IME, the Blues just put on a better show for the average airshow spectator.

blues_diamond.jpg

blues_delta.jpg

blues_opposing.jpg

blues_fatalbert.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've seen on television shows that the Blue Angels do not wear G-suits when they train or perform, but instead train themselves to use muscular contractions of their legs to resist the rush of blood to their legs that occurs during some maneuvers.

If the Thunderbirds wear G-suits, then they're just pu**ies by comparison and need to HTFU.

So, based on that . . . Blue Angels. :D

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    This is also a biased response. I've watched the Blue Angels several times and have visited their home base in Florida. I'll vote for the Angels but give a strong nod of approval to the Birds. :patriot:

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Rhino "If the Thunderbirds wear G-suits, then they're just pu**ies by comparison and need to HTFU".

I'm not sure if the Blue Angels test out their pilots without G-suits.... but I'd bet you a dollar they do eventually wear them on a regular basis.

IndyGuy 77: Regarding the crashes: Yes, there was a total wipe-out during a training of the ThunderBirds many years ago. The wingleader augered into the ground and every single member of the team followed him to their deaths. Sad.

Top Bottom