• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Brigadier General James Doty was a retired Army guy in my current home county, lived in Cibolo, which is near Randolph AFB. I didn’t know him, just read about him.

Back in June he withdrew cash from a credit union teller, was observed by a black female, who followed him out of the lobby and got in a car which followed him to another business. When he came out of that business a different vehicle pulled up and a black male knocked him to the ground from behind. Doty struggled with his assailant for a moment but the assailant got away taking a white envelope from Doty.

This is known from video collected later. For reasons not given in any article Doty did not report the crime to police nor did he seek medical attention. I don’t know if he even told his family about it at the time.

A week later his family noticed him acting strangely, he had a serious fall, and this time he was hospitalized. He went into a coma the next day, was put on a ventilator, and died a week or two later in July. He was only 61. I don’t think any of the article say, but I think it’s highly likely he died of a traumatic brain injury, probably a slow bleed.

Apparently he told somebody about the jugging before he lost consciousness because the police started an investigation, pulled video, and got description of the female and the male and their vehicles.

Earlier in November the local police, constables in Harris County, and US Marshals tracked the woman down and arrested her in Houston.

I just ran across this local news. A couple things jumped out at me.

1. Yeah situational awareness, but it is really hard to stay on your toes every second, especially by yourself in familiar places.

2. Head injuries can be tricky and dangerous. They can take hours or days to develop symptoms. I don’t know why Doty didn’t tell the cops nor go to the hospital, and I’m not trying to rain on a good guy, but he should’ve done both, especially the hospital check. Just because you feel great after getting smacked in the head doesn’t mean everything is okey-dokey.

As a medical first responder for my volunteer fire department, I once had a conversation with a motorcyclist who crashed. He was perfectly lucid, introduced himself, remembered details of the accident, knew his name, day of the week, and all that good stuff. Was very friendly, and even laughed. 30 seconds later we had the exact same conversation again. He did not remember meeting me, and we went through the whole thing again, introducing ourselves, checking his grasp of current events, daytime whatever. 30 seconds later we did the whole thing again. It was like talking with an Alzheimer patient, but the guy was only 30-something. Hopefully it was just a mild concussion which can screw with your short term memory but you don’t know that until the brain doctors check things out.

Any time there’s a chance you banged your head, get it checked no matter how great you feel, and pay attention to what the docs and medics tell you to watch for. Don’t just go home and sleep it off by yourself. Tell your family, your coworkers, so they can keep an eye on you.

I wrote “chance” above because it’s quite possible to hit your head without realizing it. Sometimes it happens so fast you don’t notice.

“Ma’am I think you should go with the paramedics to the ER and get checked for brain injury.”

“Oh, I don’t need to go, I didn’t hit my head.”

“Do you know there’s a bruise on your forehead shaped like your steering wheel?”

”I do?”

So if you fall off the ladder, or fall, especially for more than your own height, or you do anything else where you might have bumped your head even unknowingly, do get it checked and be watchful.

3. Reading about the incident just made me sad. RIP General Doty.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    When my dad raced for Roger Penske at Indy in the early 70s, 1972 Indy 500 winner Mark Donohue was his teammate. Three years after he won the 500, Mark was involved in a crash testing a Formula 1 car for Penske. He also seemed fine after the crash but later died from a TBI. We may know much more about head injuries now but you can never be too careful.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I teach my students the signs and symptoms of increased intracranial pressure, and how to do an effective field neurological exam. I also tell them that if they are seeing any of those signs in the field that it’s a significant head injury. I tell them that if the patient refuses transport or to go to the hospital to let them know that these things can develop hours or days later. If they have somebody with them I let them know what signs and symptoms to look out for.

I took care of one of my colleagues who had a very minor head injury that took almost a week to start showing any significant signs and symptoms. Five days after the incident, and he had gone into the ER immediately afterwards to get checked out, I was talking to him and thinking something wasn’t right. The next morning in a conversation with our boss he wasn’t making sense and she called his wife and told her to get into the ER immediately. Turns out he had a subdural hematoma and it taken that long for a slow brain bleed to develop enough pressure to start showing any problems.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    i have had some experience with this. My mother got up in the middle of the night to do something and must've hit her head unbeknownst to us because there were no outward signs the next morning.

As the morning progressed, we noticed that she was acting rather strange, so we decided to take her to the ER and it was determined that she had a brain bleed. She luckily survived but it was quite a harrowing experience. She was in her late 70's when this happened. She didn't remember what happened that night and if we hadn't decided to take her to the ER she wouldn't have made it.

If you or someone else, you know hits their head I would highly encourage them to seek medical attention to get it checked out.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Great information. Many years ago (30+), I was in a car accident and was knocked unconscious. Nobody called an ambulance. A buddy drove me to the ER. I wasn't even tested for a TBI by the physician. I'm glad that now I'm forewarned and forearmed.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    …1972 Indy 500 winner Mark Donohue was his teammate.
    …but later died from a TBI.
    I remember that, I think he was racing in South Africa? I was a little bit shocked by it because for some reason, Mark Donahue was my favorite race car driver, not sure why, I just thought the name Donahue was cool.

And
    It’s cool if your dad was a racer.

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Great information. Many years ago (30+), I was in a car accident and was knocked unconscious. Nobody called an ambulance. A buddy drove me to the ER. I wasn't even tested for a TBI by the physician. I'm glad that now I'm forewarned and forearmed.
    When I was a Boy Scout, I went to Philmont scout ranch in New Mexico, which was a great experience. One of the stops in our hike was a working cattle ranch. One of the activities there it was a ”bull ride.” They had a 55 gallon drum suspended between four trees by bungee cords, and about 18 inches of sawdust underneath it. The “bull” had a tail that someone would pull on while you were riding to give it authentic feel I guess.

Four guys Would get on the bungee cords and push the barrel to the ground. You get on, put your hand in a glove under the rope that went around the barrel/bull, and they laid the free end in your hand when you would hold. Just like a real rodeo bull.

When you were ready, you said go, the four guys would jump off the bungee cords and the guy in the back would start yanking the tail.

I don’t think I lasted even a complete cycle, I remember going up, and as I came down, I pitched off headfirst over the front of the barrel. But because my hand was still grasping the rope, I did a somersault, and as I went over the front my right forearm got a cut from the edge of the barrel. If I look hard, I can still see the scar 50 years later.

Another scout from a different group rode the thing, and he hit the sawdust really hard. When he got up, he was clearly not “right.” He was staggering around, looking unfocused, and not really making much sense. The staff grabbed him, we went our own way, and I never saw him again, but I always wondered what happened to him.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I remember that, I think he was racing in South Africa? I was a little bit shocked by it because for some reason, Mark Donahue was my favorite race, car driver sure why, I just thought the name Donahue was cool.

And
    It’s cool if your dad was a racer.
    I believe this happened in Austria, August or September 1975.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    When my dad raced for Roger Penske at Indy in the early 70s, 1972 Indy 500 winner Mark Donohue was his teammate. Three years after he won the 500, Mark was involved in a crash testing a Formula 1 car for Penske. He also seemed fine after the crash but later died from a TBI. We may know much more about head injuries now but you can never be too careful.
    How about when dad crashed testing for Menard in 1993 when Goodyear aired the tires up to 50 psi to seat the beads and didn’t let them back down? He wouldn’t go to the hospital until we walked into the shop and reminded him what happened to Donohue. This was before the days of the SAFER barrier, but after they had raised the walls for the first Brickyard 400. Gearbox punched a hole right through the new wall. Completely broke out the back of the seat and collapsed the front tires against the side pods just from the inertia of hitting the wall so hard going backwards. I remember he said he laid his head back against the headrest when he knew he was going to hit it. Probably a good thing he did.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I remember that, I think he was racing in South Africa? I was a little bit shocked by it because for some reason, Mark Donahue was my favorite race car driver, not sure why, I just thought the name Donahue was cool.

And
    It’s cool if your dad was a racer
    .He was cool and a hell of a driver,

He was cool and a hell of a driver. So sad. He died/crash during practice for the Austrian Grand Prix

RIP Mark. one hell of a driver.

Top Bottom