• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    Ok, did a search and didn't find anything on the question I'm going to ask. I've seen TS on this gun or that whether they are good or not. But, my question(s) are this:

When on the draw with a TS do you click it off during the draw or when fully unholstered and at the low ready or some point else?

I saw the video of the guy who went to draw I believe a 1911. For some reason his draw got hung up but he always practiced taking the safety off during the draw. As he tried to redraw his finger went to the trigger and now the SA 1911 with TS off at that point discharged into his leg.

Now, I know the importance of the TS on a 1911 but when thinking of other guns like S&W M&P Shield, Kimber Solo is the TS important or a nuisance? How do you feel it should be trained?

Thanks in advance for the input. All replies will be taken with salt and not as gospel. I'm trying to see if this type question has been asked this way before.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Thumb safety switches off when the pistol is rotated toward the target during draw stroke. Finger stays out of the trigger guard until the pistol is, at a minimum, rotated toward the target and you intend to fire.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Good thing you take things with a grain of salt on this site. Anyhow, it seems as though the guy you watched didn't practice enough. Without having seen the video for myself it's hard to say what exactly the issue was, but it sure sounds like it was probably shooter error and not so much technique.

Generally, my preference is to disengage the safety as my hand is grasping the grip to draw in the same downward motion. As the weapon leaves the holster my finger stays along the side and OUTSIDE the trigger guard UNTIL it's aimed beyond my lower extremities (assuming I'm in immediate danger.) As I'm making that rotation forward the finger is entering the trigger guard. But, then again I'm a "safety flipper" and "finger pointer" anyway from all the practice with it (military.)

This sounds like a good video suggestion for Mr. Gomez to put together. He's done a couple different "draw" videos but they always focus heavily on Glocks (no thumb safeties.)

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Sounds like the OP is referring to the Tex Grebner video.

I take all of this out of the equation by not carrying a gun with a manual thumb safety.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Thumb safety switches off when the pistol is rotated toward the target during draw stroke. Finger stays out of the trigger guard until the pistol is, at a minimum, rotated toward the target and you intend to fire.
    This is what I do... less chance of an AD, or ND ...JMHO...:twocents:
    I own 2 S&W, with the safety on the slide ... and I practice ...

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    A lot of people got bent out of shape and said Tosh was being anti-gun. I thought it was hilarious. If you can't look at yourself and our culture and laugh, don't watch it.
    Have you watched videos of any "Marines when they get bored?" LOL I can ALWAYS find humor in something.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Instructor? No. But he's been on Tosh.O. :D

uh, actually he's had training, Fighting Pistol at Tactical Response is one I know of.

That video is from Tosh.O

Here's is the video HE released, discussing how it happened and the different holsters he was using.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE[/ame]

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    uh, actually he's had training, Fighting Pistol at Tactical Response is one I know of.

That video is from Tosh.O

Here's is the video HE released, discussing how it happened and the different holsters he was using.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE

WELL....

where to start?:scratch:

I believe accidents do happen and I've seen it first hand as well. I'm glad to see that he put out a "public service announcement" afterwards. While I have been shot, I have never had a negligent discharge of any kind and have been shooting for well over 20 years (not intending to brag, just wanting to display a first hand understanding of these situations.) HOWEVER, IMO his reasoning was :bs:

I understand testing and trying out new equipment but that is when your actions are usually slower, sluggish, unrehearsed, and more carefully orchestrated because you're unfamiliar with that gear. In the slow motion I think you can clearly see where the weapon clears the holster and his finger goes for the trigger and I cannot see how those types of holsters are going to "force" his finger to curve into the trigger guard after clearing the holster. :twocents:

He was VERY lucky to have not hit the artery.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Never could understand how those folks that change back and fourth between Glocks and 1911's do it without problem. Apparently neither can Tex...

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Personally, I don't find a thumb safety a hinderance if you train it into yourself. I've flipped the safety during engagements for so many years and during so much practice that it is simply habit. They are also not absolutely necessary, IMO. I view them as more of a "idiot switch." What I mean by that is IN CASE some random idiot SOMEHOW managed to temporarily gain control of my firearm, they are likely not going to be smart enough to realize the safety is on and that mistake will buy me a little more time to react. Similar concept to the P7 design which has saved a LOT of people's lives in similar circumstances.:twocents:

Top Bottom